PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,691 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Gosh, that is a long time superclarkkent! :eek:

We finally have our mortgage offer :j :j :j :j :j Three months to the day since we had our offer accepted on the house :eek:

We skived off for a cup of tea and a scone to celebrate :D for about 5 minutes - until the solicitor rang and told us that, because the building society has rounded it up to the nearest pound, either (a) they will have to reissue the mortgage offer AGAIN, (b) they will have to agree not to quibble when he submits the paperwork with the real offer on, or (c) we'll have to adjust the legal stuff (my preference) - but the seller has already signed theirs so they'd have to sign it again.

Can't believe we're now quibbling over 40p. Forty sodding pence! :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Late to the party!

Offer made mid-September, accepted
    Solicitors instructed the same day

As it was a cash sale, I thought it'd be quick - nope! All sorts of hold ups (solicitor questioning source of funds etc) but finally going to simultaneously exchange and complete tomorrow.
    A bit risky being a Friday, but I'm not in a chain and I'm already a tenant at the property in question.
  • chazzab
    chazzab Posts: 26 Forumite
    Glad to see some progress being made by people on here :) I hope those waiting get good news soon.

We got our mortgage offer today, only put the application in last Tuesday, with the valuation on Monday of this week. So phew, that's one relief.

It was only a small relief as our buyers mortgage valuation valued our flat as a 1 bed instead of 2, thus £42k less than the accepted sold price. Panic stations from my estate agent yesterday evening meaning I had a very sleepless night wondering what the hell we were going to but a phone call to my solicitor this morning seems to have calmed things over.
    Bit of an odd one as the property has a loft conversion which was done in 1950 (records to prove it) which was classed a bedroom in all the documents and land registry... but obviously the mortgage surveyor didn't know this and just saw a loft room which doesn't comply to current regs and said it cant be a bedroom. Hoping proof of the conversion and retrospective applications will make him revalue but I really don't know what the etiquette is here.
    Our buyers really liked the flat so hoping they will tough it out whilst its smoothed over. I never thought I'd say this but my solicitor has been an absolute god send at the moment - so glad I chose her!

Every day seems to bring a new challenge, hope some of you get good news tomorrow and I am actually praying for no news for once. My heart can't take the rollercoaster!!!
  • You literally could not make this up.

After a day of frantic phone calls, my EA finally gets the full story from the vendor conveyancers.

They were ready to exchange today. They reviewed the contract and found that they hadn't read it properly before and there was an error. So they got it emailed to the vendor who is to sign it and get it to them by recorded/special delivery tomorrow. They told one story to the EA, one to the vendor and a third to my solicitor (only when she hassled them, they didn't pick up the chuffing phone in the first place)

Like that is going to happen. Apparently if she failed to get it in today's post (and I haven't had a clear yes/no as to whether that happened) then it can go by same day delivery tomorrow - yeah, right, and I'm a monkey's uncle.

Tomorrow is the absolute deadline for completion in a fortnight, so it looks like it ain't happening.

I called another EA to offer on my reserve property, but was 2 minutes late as they had closed for the day.

I've been in meltdown all evening.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Offer accepted in February on a tenanted property
    Vendor issued section 21 in March
    Applied to court for possession in May
    Possession order granted in September
    Warrant for Possession applied for and finally received on 30th October
    Bailiffs going in on 15th November
    All other legals, mortgage etc have been sorted along the way so with any luck and all being well following an inspection after eviction:
    Exchange on 17th
    Completion on 17th
    Builders in on 20th!

Good thing I've not been in a rush!!!

Your third point re the 20th would indicate your not too concerned with the condition of the property, but even so I would want to cast an eye over it prior to exchange just in case
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Lot's of activity today, unfortunately no progress!!

Got an email off vendors EA today which literally said: "Please can you call the office we need to speak with you about the above and your buyer delaying the completion dates".
    So I rang only for her to rant at me about why does buyer need 4 weeks between exchange and completion and I need to put pressure on her to move by the 24th November, blah blah blah, yadda yadda! Then went on to say top of chain need to move as they are relocating, need to sort schools etc. So I shut her up then, told her I was in the same predicament, and reminded her it was documentation that her client couldn't produce that delayed us in the first place. Told her to direct all further enquiries via my solicitor in future. I was a bit short with her but she rubbed me up the wrong way, at what was already a stressful time, so I don't feel bad :D

Emailed my solicitor to see where we're at, but she was out of the office :mad: Her assistant said she had called the lender about the indemnity this morning and "we should have an answer soon" - It's been a week!! She said at this point the buyer is insisting on 4 weeks but we'll worry about what to do about that once we have the lenders answer back.

Everything crossed that the lender will come back with a yes tomorrow.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    You literally could not make this up.

After a day of frantic phone calls, my EA finally gets the full story from the vendor conveyancers.

They were ready to exchange today. They reviewed the contract and found that they hadn't read it properly before and there was an error. So they got it emailed to the vendor who is to sign it and get it to them by recorded/special delivery tomorrow. They told one story to the EA, one to the vendor and a third to my solicitor (only when she hassled them, they didn't pick up the chuffing phone in the first place)

Like that is going to happen. Apparently if she failed to get it in today's post (and I haven't had a clear yes/no as to whether that happened) then it can go by same day delivery tomorrow - yeah, right, and I'm a monkey's uncle.

Tomorrow is the absolute deadline for completion in a fortnight, so it looks like it ain't happening.

I called another EA to offer on my reserve property, but was 2 minutes late as they had closed for the day.

I've been in meltdown all evening.

I know it's frustrating but just take a step back, you are nearly there.
    Why can't you still keep your completion date even if you exchange as late as Monday or Tuesday next week.

Jumping ship to another property now is madness. you will put yourself back to square one and in all reality probably won't complete until after Christmas.

As I said it's frustrating I have a flaky buyer who seems to be oblivious to the fact that both myself and my vendor have their lives on hold waiting to exchange. Original target was October 12th and this has slipped time and time again just due to him.
    Just have to grit your teeth and plod on.
  • chappers wrote: »
    I know it's frustrating but just take a step back, you are nearly there.
    Why can't you still keep your completion date even if you exchange as late as Monday or Tuesday next week.

Because my offer was accepted on 2 June and they have messed about and messed up constantly since then.

They are so incompetent that I do not believe there would not be another hold up after this one. They guaranteed they were ready to exchange a month ago. Then it got pushed back again and again and last Friday promised it was early this week.

If I accept this latest delay I am convinced they'll mess up again and back we go.

Jumping ship to another property now is madness.
    Looking back, the madness was to stay with this purchase when the signs were from the start that the vendor is thick as two short planks and the conveyancers were about as much use as a roomful of monkeys.
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    It's Friday. Please don't let us enter another weekend without an answer from the lender!
    Good luck to everyone else waiting for some news today :o
  • Oh dancing star I really feel for you. It's hard to get people to see the urgency for exchange when your completion is a way off, we had the same problem and in the end have notice on our rental a few days ago before (planned) exchange today.
    Fingers crossed our gamble pays off.
    Can anyone remind me what actually happens at exchange? Is it purely the swapping of signed contracts? Do the solicitors actually do anything more than that?
    I have a day off today so wondering how weird it would be if I walked down to their office (I need to give them paperwork anyway) and sat there until it was done?!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback