Russell Hobbs extra warranty

Princesschar
Princesschar Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 10 March 2018 at 9:02AM in Consumer rights
In january 2017 I bought a Russell Hobbs washing machine for £289.
I registered my extra guarantee with russell Hobbs for an extra year after the first year from the original retailer.
A few weeks ago I rang up the warranty line as the bearings had gone in my washer.
An engineer was arranged to come and he came assessed the washer and went away to order the parts.
The next day I then received a text stating that the parts had been ordered and that I would receive a call when they arrived. I have the text.
Today I received a call stating that it was going to cost too much to repair my washer (although the parts had already been ordered etc???) there also isnt a washer in the same range to replace my washer with as Russell hobbs won!!!8217;t be receiving any washers for 6-9months.
So therefore the only thing they would do is, I would receive a 75% refund of what I paid as this takes into account the year that I have been using the machine... I was told that my machine would be collected then I would receive a refund of £122.
This is not only leaving me with 2 children and no washing machine but also not enough money to buy another washing machine.
The £122 is also not 75% of the original amount that I paid! I paid £289.50 not £166 that the person on the phone said I paid.
But they are saying the original invoice from the retailer only states I paid £166, I sent Russell hobbs a screenshot of the original email receipt of when I bought the machine to show them and thats not good enough they need an updated invoice from the original retailer. So I rang the retailer and they are saying their system wont find my purchase as it will not back the 14 months.
The first person I spoke to also said that the parts were too expensive to repair the machine then the second stated they couldnt get any parts for the machine. But I received a text saying they had been ordered.
So Im not sure what Im supposed to do or where I stand. I assumed if I registered for the extra guarantee that parts would be covered no matter what the cost.
Its not my fault if the washer parts havent lasted so I cant help how much it would be to repair... its also then not my fault if they havent got any washers coming in for 6-9 months so they couldnt send me a new replacement..
I cant get the original retailer to send an invoice over from them and they wont accept my receipt as proof I paid more then they are saying I dont know what else Im supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Charlotte

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Block text is difficult to read.

From what I can decipher your washing machine cannot be repaired and the manufacturer is offering you 75% refund.

Then it gets complicated because I'm not sure what you are saying other than the manufacturer is disagreeing with the amount you think is the original payment amount.

Perhaps you can tidy up your post so that it's easier to understand. You might then get some sensible answers.
  • Sorry I don’t know why it’s gone like that I will go through it and sort it. Thanks !!!128522;
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you pay by credit/debit card as if it's on a statement it will show the cost you paid for the washing machine.
    Did you just buy the machine for £166 and the rest was for something extra like extended guarantee , old machine removal or installation?
    Maybe RH's extended guarantee has a clause that if it cost too much to repair then a partiel refund will be offered.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like the extended guarantee would be covered by the FSA - threaten them wit miss-selling. They sold you a financial product to cover something they won't / can't replace and want to just partial refund??
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like the extended guarantee would be covered by the FSA - threaten them wit miss-selling. They sold you a financial product to cover something they won't / can't replace and want to just partial refund??

There's nothing wrong with offering a partial refund.

The FSA has been defunct for the last 5 years (split into the FCA and PRA in 2013), and almost certainly wouldn't have dealt with consumers anyway (that is the FOS, and has been for over 17 years). The quality of your suggestion is about on a par with your knowledge of financial regulation.

For the OP, I'd forget about claiming from RH and use the information they have provided to exercise your consumer rights with the retailer.
  • It says at their discretion on the terms which is fine but it then says about replacing for a new product.. if they had no products available for 6-9months to replace a faulty product then shouldn’t that have been updated somewhere as that’s long term stock issues.. had they had washer in then they would have sent me a new one but because they haven’t got any for that time scale I’m being left with no machine and nowhere near enough to buy another.
  • The original retailers are also passing it back to Russell Hobbs as it’s out of the year covered by then and they have no record of my sale on their system.. a partial refund is completely fine but they aren’t accepting the receipt of what I paid and only giving me £122 as they are saying I only paid £166 when in actual fact I have a receipt stating I paid £289 they won’t accept this receipt as proof tho they want an invoice sent from the original retailer who won’t send a receipt as their system doesn’t got back to 14 months... just going around in circles lol
  • Sounds like the extended guarantee would be covered by the FSA - threaten them wit miss-selling. They sold you a financial product to cover something they won't / can't replace and want to just partial refund??

Which, provided this is stated in the terms of the warranty is perfectly acceptable and legal.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Boohoo wrote: »
    Did you pay by credit/debit card as if it's on a statement it will show the cost you paid for the washing machine.
    Did you just buy the machine for £166 and the rest was for something extra like extended guarantee , old machine removal or installation?
    Maybe RH's extended guarantee has a clause that if it cost too much to repair then a partiel refund will be offered.

OP can you answer any of these questions it may help.

If you have the receipt with the details of the transaction can you upload a picture/photo on here so other people can look at it.

If you paid by credit card maybe they can help as if as you say you paid £289 just for the washing machine and nothing else(no installation, delivery, removal extended warranty extras) then what you paid and what the retailers says you were charged for the machine are very different.

Can you also name the shop/company you bought from please as this may also help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure