Employer disclosed salary to referee

Options
Hi there, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I've just found out that my new employer has disclosed my salary information to my referees when asking for references. They've disclosed the salary band, which isn't very wide, not an actual figure but I'm really upset that they've done this as I feel this is personal information. I've never heard of an employer doing this before, so was just wondering if this is normal or carelessness (or incompetence) on behalf of my new employer. Both of my referees are obviously people I've worked with / for before, who I have a good enough relationship with to ask them to provide a reference and I'm a bit embarrassed that they know my new salary. Plus knowing how people are, I'm not confident that they won't have disclosed this to other people. Is this a breach of confidentiality or happens all the time?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Erm I dont really think its an issue. I imagine the salary was publicised in the job advert?

I guess I dont see the issue at all? Your old employers knew your salary. Its not personal Information its the salary banding of the job. You are not the job.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not out of the ordinary for a new employer to send a referee a copy of the job description to comment on your suitability, and this may include the salary range.

It's really not that difficult to find out the salary for a particular role if you want to. If you still want to work there, you're going to need to let it go.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    It is categorically not personal information.

Anyway, did you have a question?
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 9:58PM
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    It is categorically not personal information.

Under the DPA and the GDPR, salary is actually classified as personal information as work directly relates to the individual.

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1549/determining_what_is_personal_data_quick_reference_guide.pdf

In any case it is very bad form for an employer to disclose salary information as it could adversely affect the individual.
    John-K wrote: »

. Is this a breach of confidentiality or happens all the time?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    Under the DPA and the GDPR, salary is actually classified as personal information as work directly relates to the individual.

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1549/determining_what_is_personal_data_quick_reference_guide.pdf

In any case it is very bad form for an employer to disclose salary information as it could adversely affect the individual.

How would hello we have received an application from person X for the job role Y (job description: do stuff and things for £123455-123999) adversely affect someone?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My work puts the salary band on the job ad, and anyone who knows the job title can find the salary band. So unless the referee isn't to be told the job title the salary band isn't very private or personal.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, this is 'personal data'.

If the employer disclosed this information without your consent, and this is not public information, it sounds like a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998.

It is unlikely to be worth pursuing though.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Yes, this is 'personal data'.

If the employer disclosed this information without your consent, and this is not public information, it sounds like a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998.

It is unlikely to be worth pursuing though.

Considering the job wasn’t even the OPs at that point, as they were getting the references, surely it was a prospective salary and not personal at all?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    Options
    What OP needs to do is make. a big fuss about this. It will totally negate the requirements for references as the job offer will be rescinded.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    Options
    You say banding is it say like band 2 in the NHS!!!8217;s if so anyone can find out this info
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts