Apps on Panasonic tvs

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Also, the particular model is not an anomaly, as Freetime is on all sets of 650 and upwards for the next year or two

Yes, I meant Panasonic using it, on non satellite equipment, is an anomaly, which only serves to confuse, hence this discussion.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    This is why I bought a "dumb" TV last time! Plug in a £25 Android box and a Chromecast and I have an easily upgradeable smart set up.:T
    Terrible shame that you can't get a new set now without the bells and whistles:(

I chose ours for the picture quality, fact that Panasonic tvs don't seem to suffer from poor sound and the design, which has a stainless steel strip instead of plastic.

I wasn't bothered about smart,because we have a Humax box (catchup rarely done and via laptop) and didn't use it until the last cancellation of Sky. It's just annoying that something in the description, of what was not a cheap tv, no longer works after just over two years of ownership.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think there is a lot to be said for not worrying about the smart element of a new tv, just use a set top box and update that instead of the tv.

ITV player I've often found to be very bad, stopping at a set of adverts and not continuing, meaning you have to reset ITV player and start all over again. Never had that trouble with iplayer, all4 or channel 5.
  • teddysmum
    Forumite
    ITV Hub completely disappeared from the aforementioned Panasonic tvs,on Friday.

As I didn't know that it would go off at that particular time I had watched BBC live, expecting to catch upon Vera via the Hub.

As this wasn't possible I went through the rigmarole of setting up Hub on a laptop (Had to use Firefox,as it doesn't work on Windows 7) and noticed that the website mentioned it was no longer available on Panasonic tvs and a long list of pvrs,so as I mentioned above,you can't even rely on these.

I watched a small part of Vera, then went to bed,but received an email asking why I hadn't completed the programme,so used that to (uselessly,of course) mention the disappointment to tv and box owners let down.

Today I had a reply,saying that they have withdrawn services from all Panasonic sets using Freesat,then going on to list lots of tv sets and setups that you can watch Hub on.

I was going to leave it at that as, obviously, neither ITV nor Panasnic is concerned about its customers,but was annoyed by their suggestion that customers should buy another tv set or pay for a previously not needed item like a Firestick.

I just had to ask if they really thought that someone who paid over £600 (ours is middle range) for a tv,only two years ago, should buy another just to watch their service, adding that it was so poor compared to iPlayer that it didn't warrant any further expenditure.

It's a pity that you can't buy higher spec basic service tvs, as the cheaper ones seem to be the only ones not smart, because we are buying a function that is very likely to be obsolete very quickly,so a waste of money. You can't rely on pvrs either, according to ITV's list of brands losing Hub too.
  • I still find it hard to believe that I have 3 Panasonic TVs that are less than 2years old that have lost both All4 and ITVHub when most of the time I only watch catch-up TV.

Is there anything I can do?

I have 24inch TXCS500B AND TXDS500B models.
  • JanC99 wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe that I have 3 Panasonic TVs that are less than 2years old that have lost both All4 and ITVHub when most of the time I only watch catch-up TV.

They're Freeview TV's so you haven't lost All4 (or the HD channel), as for the ITV Hub there's plenty of suggestions above for alternatives. And no you can't get a refund.

TBH I'm surprised anyone would miss the ITV channels anyway.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I got a NowTv box for catchup.

youtube seams to be not working on my P TV
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

Ask yourself this - how much did you pay ITV, for example, for their service? Zero. ITV owe you nothing and if they want to withdraw their service, they can. Panasonic may have made certain promises of 'smartness' at the start ('it connects to internet services') and maybe even specific services, like Netflix or iPlayer etc, but it will all be 'subject to availability'. Availability has ended, for whatever reason. It's not unique to Panasonic, but it will have hurt early Smart TVs more - I'd say (with no evidence) that now that the platforms are more mature, support for them will be easier in the future - using HTML5 for example, instead of Flash.
  • teddysmum
    Forumite
    They're Freeview TV's so you haven't lost All4 (or the HD channel), as for the ITV Hub there's plenty of suggestions above for alternatives. And no you can't get a refund.

TBH I'm surprised anyone would miss the ITV channels anyway.
    Our Panasonic, already having lost the ITV catchup, last night we noticed that the 4 catchup icon has greyed out on the 'On Demand' screen ,with a message saying the service is withdrawn, but oddly it still works via the Freetime EPG page, which lost ITV Hub well before the Hub icon greyed out with the service gone.
  • teddysmum
    Forumite
    JanC99 wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe that I have 3 Panasonic TVs that are less than 2years old that have lost both All4 and ITVHub when most of the time I only watch catch-up TV.

We have a Panasonic TX42AS650B,I believe slightly newer than yours and when I and others contacted Panasonic ,they didn't care.In fact one email suggested I buy one of their later models.

ITV blamed Panasonic for changing requirements and I tend to agree with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure