Car failed MOT

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    z1a wrote: »
    Yeah, but it may make a difference to his potential buyer!

Irrelevant to the op, he has a buyer and his question was how can he get the car home.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    pramsay13 wrote: »
    from https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
    You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
    a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
    In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.
    I've never quite understood this, as that page goes on to state:
    In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
    So the MOT is a certificate of road worthiness. If you've failed the MOT, then the car is not road-worthy?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Irrelevant to the op, he has a buyer and his question was how can he get the car home.

He has a POTENTIAL buyer, who could have taxed the car if it was still MOTd, but it isn't anyway it turns out.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    He has a POTENTIAL buyer, who could have taxed the car if it was still MOTd, but it isn't anyway it turns out.

Not the OP’s problem.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    PhilipsB wrote: »
    My car failed its MOT today. It was my first car, I’ve had it two years and I’ve decided between the cost to repair and my insurance that id be better off getting rid of it. I have a buyer interested.

How do I get the car from the garage? Is the only way to get it towed? If so who is the best value company that could do that? Ive asked the garage for advice but they’ve told me I have no choice but to pay them to fix it..

Out of interest what did it fail on?

It’s an offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle so it may be the case your buyer shouldn’t be driving it away.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not the OP’s problem.

OP mentioned a potential buyer, so obviously relevant to him, otherwise why mention it?

You just like to argue for arguments sake, whilst you on your computer anyway.

OP has his answer so I'm bowing out.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    OP mentioned a potential buyer, so obviously relevant to him, otherwise why mention it?

You just like to argue for arguments sake, whilst you on your computer anyway.

OP has his answer so I'm bowing out.

Next time add something useful.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ic wrote: »
    So the MOT is a certificate of road worthiness. If you've failed the MOT, then the car is not road-worthy?
    Let's say it fails on lights - but it's daytime. It fails on rear seatbelts - but there's no rear passenger. It fails on towbar wiring - but you're not towing. It fails on a bald tyre - but you've chucked the spare on.

If it's unroadworthy so illegal to drive away from the test station, it was also illegal to drive to it. Yet you did that. The only difference is that you now know - but innocence is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

The only thing having a current certificate will do is stop any prosecution for not having a current MOT.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've never quite understood this, as that page goes on to state:
    Quote:

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Car can fail on noisy exhaust, high emissions etc. These don't make it dangerous.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If it's unroadworthy so illegal to drive away from the test station, it was also illegal to drive to it. Yet you did that. The only difference is that you now know - but innocence is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

The only thing having a current certificate will do is stop any prosecution for not having a current MOT.

I rather think it is. ;)

Ignorance however...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family