Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rosy wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread with interest and have found it really useful - thank you to all who have posted. OH and I are seriously considering stopping work this year but would need to use our savings to bridge the gap till we could access public sector DB pensions when we are 60 in three years time ( OH's would be reduced for early payment but we can cope with that). What does make me anxious is what if regulations change in the meantime and we couldn't access the pensions till much later? I would also be very reliant on the spouse's benefit from OH's pension if anything were to happen to him and it's a concern of mine that if there was a significant downturn in the economy that benefit would be withdrawn ( I know the chances of that must be really small but it does niggle away at me ). Plus the psychological aspect of not having any income and swapping from a lifetime of saving hard to seeing a lot of money going out of the savings account each month... we are pretty frugal but it would still be a substantial amount over three years. I know we could hang on in there and go at 60 but I am conscious we will never get this time back again, on paper we can comfortably afford it and I don't want to lose this opportunity because I'm being unnecessarily and unreasonably risk averse! We've been going round in circles tbh. I'd be really grateful if anyone who has been in this position could give some insight on how you dealt with these issues.

That is similar to my situation. There was something about watching my "savings" increase every month that I found very satisfying. I have recently retired on a pension that won't quite pay the bills so I have another 6 years to go until State Pension kicks in. During that time, I'll be watching the savings balances gradually decrease.

I know it's not going to be easy to see that after a lifetime of frugality and saving, not spending, I've just told myself to get over it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know in the great scheme of things we are only talking peanuts but are you playing the current accounts game? If you diversify your savings a little you could be earning 3% or even 5% on a regular saver by having maybe 8 accounts each! You are then in a position to also play the switching game- the best of these was Clydesdale/Yorks bank which is just starting to pay out £250 to customers who met the t&cs with a switch.

The point is that if you have a few extra pounds coming in per month you won't have to bite so deeply into your savings.

If you are interested look on the banking & budgeting board- or you can pm me
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rosy, if you’re in good health you could have 30 years in front of you. Unless work is causing enormous stress, I’d say stick it out until you can access your occupational pensions without loss.

I was reminded that our 60s are our golden years. Have enough money to enjoy them. We are still enjoying life at 70 and 74.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    That is similar to my situation. There was something about watching my "savings" increase every month that I found very satisfying. I have recently retired on a pension that won't quite pay the bills so I have another 6 years to go until State Pension kicks in. During that time, I'll be watching the savings balances gradually decrease.

I know it's not going to be easy to see that after a lifetime of frugality and saving, not spending, I've just told myself to get over it.

This ^^^^^

I sometimes feel a little anxious when I see the savings balance dropping but not anxious enough to do anything about it.

It is a hard adjustment from saving to spending.

I think you need to think about how much stress it will cause you if you stop working but are constantly worried about finances. It's all very well not having to work, having all that time to do "stuff" but if it's taking a toll on your peace of mind it might not be for you.

It took me ages to do it, I COULD have stopped work 5 years ago but was too nervous to take the plunge.

Now I have I know I've made the right decision for ME. Horses for courses. Hope you can get this sorted out in your head.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I know that the savings have all been for this purpose and meant to be spent eventually but it's very helpful to know that others understand how nervous I feel about making that switch - thank you for the reassurance that I'm not being totally OTT worrying about it. I think, having read so many people's experiences of stopping work and even wishing they'd gone earlier, I have been feeling a bit of (self-induced) pressure to just go for it. I'm still not sure whether to take the plunge now or not but now I've realised I shouldn't be feeling guilty for putting the brakes on, it feels like some of that pressure has been taken off and that makes it a bit easier to think. Thanks again!
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rosy wrote: »
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I know that the savings have all been for this purpose and meant to be spent eventually but it's very helpful to know that others understand how nervous I feel about making that switch - thank you for the reassurance that I'm not being totally OTT worrying about it. I think, having read so many people's experiences of stopping work and even wishing they'd gone earlier, I have been feeling a bit of (self-induced) pressure to just go for it. I'm still not sure whether to take the plunge now or not. QUOTE]

I think go when you feel comfortable but promise yourself that you wont just think "one more year" every year until you hit state retirement age! Is going at 60 so bad if you keep peace of mind?

I went on a pre-retirement course and one area of discussion was using retirement from our public sector roles as a way of having a change of direction maybe part time in another job we liked the look of! One has to look at retirement as a whole and happiness is important, 30+ years post retirement thinking I didn't have enough money or worrying that I'd have been better staying a bit longer would drive me to distraction too!

Good luck with your thinking and planning.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2018 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Rosy quite honesty no one could have been as risk averse as moi over retiring from work lol. I have to tell you I am abso loving it and the impact upon the savings is really not as bad as feared. I don't know what your retirement wants to look like but ours is a very simple deliriously happy one . Walking, cups of tea , reading , music, tv some computer, looking after my very elderly parents and the puss cats lol . Time we never had for each other. I have rediscovered my best friend, my DH and life is wonderful. I finally decided to go, on the decision that if the money was a worry I could always go back to work. The same goes for the two of you my dear, good luck!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hi rosy, as I've not retired myself yet, I can't really answer. However, I do think that once you have time to kick back a bit, you can look and see if there is anything you want to do that might produce income, be it a one day a week job, or maybe a mini business.

I've half a mind to do some qualifications in garden design ( I do a bit of advice and suggestions for friends now, so it would be nice to have the ability to do it more formally) and I think if I managed to get on average £100.00 a week, with no mortgage in a couple of years, I can count that £100.00 as covering the basics.

Would something like that assuage your fears a bit?
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's easy for those of us who may be in a more comfortable financial position to say "Go for it", I very much understand the hesitancy.

Maybe getting something part time instead of going completely cold turkey would suit better? Or as others have said get something part time if the financial side isn't panning out as you'd hoped.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    I read a couple of fascinating sources recently that discussed the US model of retirement, that follows along the lines of all those American TV retirement ads - you know, the idea that we will live for ever and will always have the energy to run along exotic beaches on the other side of the world, kind of thing.

Consequently, I think in the US at least there is an overemphasis on "having enough" (money) for retirement. In the long run, many Americans need all that money saved up to pay for medical expenses ... and in the UK, after a certain age we don't have the energy or desire to be living the high life.

The other part of the American model (the exotic beaches bit) is also a false assumption for many. Like Sukysue, I just want a simple retirement life and have almost zero desire even now for long-haul travel, expensive new toys, fancy restaurants, etc.

So often I read (usually American) articles that include as part of the "How much money do I need saved up?" question various daft assumptions about retiring on half, or 60%, or even 80% of your working income. WHAT the flip is that all about?!?!?? There are so many things wrong with that blanket assumption that I don't know where to begin.

So, as Joansgirl says, it all depends on your personal circumstances how much you need to have saved up and whether you should be worrying about the money running out. But in my inexpert opinion, I think the financial industry (and maybe even places like MSE) overemphasis the conservative approach, leading many of us to wait longer to retire than we really need to. Life is finite and the later we leave it (retirement), the less time we have to enjoy it!
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport