Very declined order but then allowed another order for same item but at full price

Hi,
Im wondering what rights i have as I wanted to buy a watch on Very which was being offered at £50 cheaper in the Black Friday sale. I tried for a credit account and got accepted with £600 to spend and so purchased the watch using that and the £20 discount i was given for opening the credit account. So all in all i bought the watch at £239 instead of £309 its at now.

For some reason the order was declined, so i phoned up to ask why and the lady explained once i went through security, that as it was my first order I had to go through security checks on the phone before the order could be put through. Great, so that was that i thought. Except it was still listed as declined so I emailed their customer services who said they would look into it, except 4 days later, I heard nothing further so curiosity got the better of me and i thought id see if i could order the same watch at the higher price. Sure enough the order went through with no issue.

So can i request Very to then adjust my credit account to reflect the price i should have paid with my discount etc for exactly the same watch, or do I have to accept it at the full price when its only a week since my original order and no good reason has been given for why the original order was declined as i clearly passed credit checks?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Of course not. You made a new order unrelated to the other one.

For the original order to go though you would have had to contact them about it. And relying on call backs for a time limited offer is ridiculous. Email even worse, they can ignore it and are probably swamped with emails. You should have rung back.

They are not obliged to sell you something and a first order with them it seems has limits.
  • The chances are that for goods sold at a discount during their sale, they had decided to limit the numbers to either X amount or when a certain time had been reached and it's possible that when you tried to purchase, they had reached the limit.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    2.2 When you submit an order to us on our website you will receive a 'bounce back' confirmatory email of this order saying that we are processing your order. You will then receive a second email from us acknowledging your order and giving you estimated timescales for delivery. You should check both emails for accuracy and let us know immediately if there are any errors. Neither of these emails constitute acceptance of the order by us. Your order will be accepted by us (and a contract will then be formed between us) when we despatch the goods to you. Title to the goods will pass to you on delivery.

As frustrating as it may be, unfortunately you had no contract for the goods at the lower price.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Its worth an email to ask nicely, I missed out a wee while ago on a sale price on suitcases while I took time to decide on whether to get them or not, I emailed and ask nicely would they honour the sale price even though they were up in price, couple of hundred quid we are talking, and they did
  • Thanks Glentorran for the advice. I tried asking as you suggested and got it at the price I originally purchased it at plus my discount for it being my first purchase so Im very pleased :j
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Koolkat28 wrote: »
    Thanks Glentorran for the advice. I tried asking as you suggested and got it at the price I originally purchased it at plus my discount for it being my first purchase so Im very pleased :j
    always pays to be nice in the first instance rather than going in blazing demanding rights
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure