Urgent Shipping Advice

Options
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I can’t find a better suitable place :/

I’m looking to ship a package this week containing a few items of clothing, box of chocolates, and some mince pies & mr Kipling cakes, all in original packaging to my friend in the states.

Now, do I need FDA Prior Notice approval? Apparently I do and it costs £15 but I’ve never heard of any of this rubbish before, especially when I’m just shipping to my friend in the states. I’m not a business or anything.

Parcelforce website says:

The key change since its introduction is that whilst this legislation no longer applies to private individuals, it remains essential for all business customers. Business customers must comply, or face parcels being returned to sender or destroyed.

Please contact the FDA if you have any enquiries.

All manufactured food and drink for human or animal consumption posted to the US by business customers, from countries all over the world, will be subject to prior notice being obtained before the item can be accepted for posting. The only exemptions are food made by an individual at home sent as a personal gift to an individual in the USA, and a manufactured item sent by a private individual. Business must comply with the legislation.

And DHL says:

What types of commodities are exempted?
The following are exempt from Prior Notice requirements:

b) Food that was made by an individual in his/her personal residence and sent by that individual as a personal gift (i.e. for non-business reasons) to an individual in the United States. FDA recently expanded exemptions (or authorised enforcement discretion) to include all personal food shipments. These are shipments sent person to person for non-commercial purposes.

Yet ParcelHero comparison agent told me I needed FDA approval and sent me to some FDA site.

And they said all food shipments whether business or private require an FDA prior notice number to add to my customs form. And it costs £15. Seriously....??? I shipped a box of chocolates via my local dhl service point last Christmas and didn’t have to do any of this rubbish? What’s the situation?

Need an urgent response, thanks!

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    on a savings and investments forum....?

The long term prospects for mince pies & mr Kipling cakes are not good. Initially there may be some growth, especially if not kept refridgerated, but in the medium term the value may be dramatically cut as a result of the festive season eating into product.

Longer term yet, the product is likely stultify, and its value crumble away gradually.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 10 December 2019 at 12:14AM
    Options
    SurgicalA wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place but I can’t find a better suitable place :/
    Seriously? Your only posts on the MoneySavingExpert forums so far have been on the credit card board, but now you have a question about shipping mince pies internationally and you think the best place for it is the MoneySavingExpert discussion board for savings and investments? It doesn't seem much like you are planning on making investments or depositing money in a savings account here, so you may not find the experts you need. :D

I’m looking to ship a package this week containing a few items of clothing, box of chocolates, and some mince pies & mr Kipling cakes, all in original packaging to my friend in the states.

Now, do I need FDA Prior Notice approval? Apparently I do
    You say you apparently need prior notice approval but then you go on to say that the carriers Parcelforce and DHL (two of the biggest in the UK and US respectively) have said you don't need prior notice approval for food items sent person to person between private individuals.

Also, the parcelhero website has an explicit link titled "FDA guidelines on sending food to the United States" which points to the FDA site https://www.fda.gov/food/importing-food-products-united-states/prior-notice-policy-sending-gifts-your-friends-and-family

The FDA compliance guide says (in line with what you have been told by Parcelforce and DHL) that that they will generally not take enforcement action against people who don't provide prior notice approval for food shipped for non-business purposes when the shipper is an individual. So, technically you need it but when it's non-commercial, sent as a gift from an individual to another for personal consumption, and you are the shipper, then practically you don't need it.

Perhaps the problem you have faced with Parcel Hero is that if you give "the job of sending a package to your friend" to Parcel Hero, to use their 'buying power' with the courier companies to get a great rate, then they might take over as the 'shipper' when engaging a real carrier service like DHL or Fedex or Parcelforce to send it for you.

If they are taking the role of the 'shipper', as a commercial organisation, it's not being shipped by an individual to another indvidual as far as the FDA are concerned. The FDA are only going to turn a blind eye to the lack of prior approval notice if there are no commercial organisations listed on the documentation and it is going from your personal address to your friend's personal address, not via a business.

So if that's the case, a middleman or agency service might save costs compared with going direct to the courier / carrier service, but could require a costly special form to go with it. It depends on the nature of their relationship with you and the carrier. If they are acting as the carrier's agent, it is effectively the same as you dealing with the carrier and paying off the agent to pay the DHL or Fedex invoice. If instead you are outsourcing your delivery job and giving a commercial organisation the task of engaging a courier of their choice to send something from them to your friend, it might not be person-to-person according to the paperwork. You can probably get this clarified by speaking to the company concerned.
    Need an urgent response, thanks!
    Ask the question in a suitable place if you want better or faster responses. :)

Also, if you don't want to fill out an pay for a special form, and you know your local DHL service point doesn't need one, you already have that solution (of using a local DHL service point) available to you. Especially as the information you quoted from DHL does say, same as the FDA site, that your person-to-person non-commercial shipments will be subject to FDA discretion - i.e. your lack of paperwork will be overlooked / ignored rather than cause the shipment to be automatically blocked.
  • SurgicalA
    Options
    Ah yeah :D only reason I posted it here was because I couldn’t find a general discussion category. And it was about whether I can save having to spend £15 on something I didn’t need :P

My DHL service point isn’t too local, its about 40 mins away in a city, but ok to get to. Buying through ipostparcel (DHL’s partner) means they collect from my house. Same with doing it through parcelhero, parcelmonkey etc. But I speak to those 3 today and they all said food is prohibited completely. However a second customer rep on ipostparcels said his colleague was wrong. Its just that their site isn’t allowing me to add more than 5 items on my online deceleration form. Probably a site issue for them.

I could use Parcelforce directly, they’ll allow me to order online and drop it off at the post office 2 minutes from me. I’m just concerned USA customs will seize my package and jail me �� it’s like a 200 pounds package :/

Also where do I get these plastic clear sleeves from that they attach to the outside of the box with the paperwork inside? This is my first time doing all this myself so I know I have to print stuff off but where does it go and must I make sure certain stuff is on the outside of the box?
  • SurgicalA
    Options
    Hmmmm..

If I go directly with Parcelforce website, it costs £106. If I purchase through Parcel2Go, it costs £40 with the exact same service. What in the actual hell......

Is it worth the risk booking through parcel2go and hopefully customs see it as personal to personal? I’m the one having to take it to the post office anyway.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m just concerned USA customs will seize my package and jail me

Sounds a bit harsh for posting some mince pies.
  • davidwatts
    Options
    I think being jailed is unlikely but, if you were, there would be a greatly increased risk of having your package seized! :p

(Sorry, it's all gone a bit "Carry on Money Saving"!)
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm..

If I go directly with Parcelforce website, it costs £106. If I purchase through Parcel2Go, it costs £40 with the exact same service. What in the actual hell......

Is it worth the risk booking through parcel2go and hopefully customs see it as personal to personal? I’m the one having to take it to the post office anyway.

You understand this is the wrong part of the forum and yet you carry on asking here? Why??

You could, perhaps, think about more suitable sections of the forum rather than continuing here.

May I suggest trying: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40 where you'll find loads of people discussing how to ship things.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some of we savers & investors have also shipped food stateside. :)

I can confirm that Royal Mail will accept your parcel without FDA Prior Approval. No idea of the cost but they require no special packaging/paperwork. Last Christmas I wrote a little note on my US foodie parcel politely requesting that the UK & US posties handled carefully. I also wished them a Merry Christmas.

Parcel arrived undamaged with a handwritten addendum to my note: "Happy Holidays from the US Postal Service".

Love those Americans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport