60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

Options

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    This fully demonstrates why cyclists need to be prohibited from these roads, due to their lack of risk assessment.

A few damp leaves = avoid cycle path
    Miles of slippery steel and the risk of trapping cycle wheel = fine

Perhaps the cyclists who often use cycle paths & routes are the ones being injured in the tram lines.

Since you have demonstrated in previous posts that you actively ignore anything the council does to persuade you to use a particular piece of highway, clearly this would not be the solution.

Could you quote / show me where i said that i actively do this? You're either making things up now, or getting me confused with someone else.
    I can understand why some people avoid cycle paths & tracks but personally i use mines a lot of the time.

So as you demonstrate, these roads are far too dangerous for cyclists to use, so they must be prohibited from using them for their own safety. To do anything else would be irresponsible.
    I disagree. I'm sure most rational people and the Edinburgh council will disagree as well, but you're entitled to your opinion.
    Because the answer is the same each time. If you are incapable of understanding the basic principles, perhaps that is why you find the discussion boring.

I think it's more to do with you making up things and pretending people said things they didn't (see quoted part above) and repeating the same nonsense every thread.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    No, I'd claim on my motor insurance, suck it up and be more careful in future.

There is f'all chance of my council paying out anyway.
    Figures obtained by the Birmingham Mail show just five out of nearly 600 claims for damages against Birmingham City Council [in respect of potholes] have been upheld in the last three years.
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/drivers-seeking-damages-over-potholes-5458515

If nothing else, you've provided 600 examples of evidence that it's not only cyclists who take action against councils for poor road conditions.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with you making up things and pretending people said things they didn't (see quoted part above) and repeating the same nonsense every thread.

Altarf will have found one example (albeit probably tongue in cheek) of cyclist extremism and is using that to vilify all cyclists.

It's the usual sous le pont strawman buffoonery.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rather appropriate episode of Top Gear tonight. ;)
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rather appropriate episode of Top Gear tonight. ;)

Was there someone on it trolling Richard Hammond? :-)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    obriens2uk wrote: »
    Hi I think you will find you are wrong, I'm not one of the ones who is to sue the council but I have had accidents. I've been cycling a mountain bike with high traction, wide tyres in Edinburgh for 12 years and before the trams I had 2 small accidents with just a cut or graze. In the past year I have had 3 accidents on the tram tracks, one of which sent me into busy traffic and left me limping for a few weeks, I still have some of the scars. Edinburgh has become one of the least bike friendly cities in the world, for the first time ever I have considered giving up cycling as I have a genuine fear now.

I've heard a lot of similar comments from friends in Edinburgh some of whom are highly experienced cyclists who have been commuting in Edinburgh for decades and had nasty accidents on the tram lines. The council advise taking the tram lines at a perpendicular angle yet the design of the cycle lanes and tram lines forces cyclists to take the rails at an unsuitable angle.

The staggering amount of derogatory anti-cyclist comments the topic brings shouldn't be a surprise but it's depressing all the same.

John
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Originally Posted by Johno100 viewpost.gif
    No, I'd claim on my motor insurance, suck it up and be more careful in future.

There is f'all chance of my council paying out anyway.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30976052
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options

Waiting for Altarf to suggest cars should be prohibited from roads now.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of similar comments from friends in Edinburgh some of whom are highly experienced cyclists who have been commuting in Edinburgh for decades and had nasty accidents on the tram lines. The council advise taking the tram lines at a perpendicular angle yet the design of the cycle lanes and tram lines forces cyclists to take the rails at an unsuitable angle.

The staggering amount of derogatory anti-cyclist comments the topic brings shouldn't be a surprise but it's depressing all the same.

John

Although I've commuted through Edinburgh city centre by bike for 20+ years fortunately I don't get caught up with them trams :)

The roads in Edinburgh are bad enough what with poor surfaces, idiot drivers, dark for 6 months of the year and now pointless trams...

Ever since I was a kid I've never understood why domestic cars are allowed into the city centre given we have always had an excellent bus service, totally crazy...
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    Why do cities seem to like trams? Do they offer much over a bus service? Seems a poor, but very expensive option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure