60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Altarf wrote: »
    But there is still the risk that cyclist's wheels will still get accidentally trapped in the tram track, even if there are no cars around. e.g. a pedestrian steps out, a cyclist avoids them, hits the tram track and down.

So the only sure-fire solution to keep cyclists safe is to ban them from all streets with tram tracks.
    Only if you force them into the same road space as the tracks. If they're riding in a completely separate lane from the tracks, it won't happen. The problem here, as I see it, is that the cyclist is encouraged by the presence of a green painted cycle lane to ride alongside the tracks.

_80474170_tram2.png

Madness!

If they had the rest of the road to use safely the problem wouldn't arise.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brat wrote: »
    Only if you force them into the same road space as the tracks. If they're riding in a completely separate lane from the tracks, it won't happen.

I don't think that you are taking the potential risk to the cyclist seriously, as illustrated by the 50 cyclists injured in the court case.

If a cyclist is able to cycle over a tram track, it is possible for a wheel to get stuck, no matter how careful they are. After all, some cyclists might be young and inexperienced, so please think of the children.

As it would be impractical to introduce any sort of 'are you skilful enough to ride along roads with tram tracks' test, then the only foolproof solution is to prohibit all cyclists from any street that has tram tracks.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Prohibiting cycling near the tram lines where it can be dangerous reduces or removes the councils liability. Moving the cycle lane into the other lanes away from the tracks would help.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Moving the cycle lane into the other lanes away from the tracks would help.

It would, but there are many many cyclists (especially on this forum) who state that out of principal they will never cycle on a cycle path.

So moving the cycle path away from the tracks will make it worse, as these cyclists will then deliberately cycle near the tram tracks.

So the only way to protect the cyclists is to stop them coming anywhere near the tracks, and prohibiting them from streets with tram tracks.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Altarf wrote: »
    So moving the cycle path away from the tracks will make it worse, as these cyclists will then deliberately cycle near the tram tracks.

You seem to have a hard time grasping the cyclists plight due to your voluntary ignorance.

The examples you provided where cyclists often do not use the cycle path aren't comparable. You mentioned dedicated cycle paths previously which often have broken glass, wet & slippy leaves etc all over them, and are unsalted in the winter. They aren't comparable apart from ones which form part of the road layout.

It's only an issue with the council being liable.
    All they need to do is modify the layout in such a way that doesn't encourage cyclists to cycle on a dangerous road surface.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't give the litigious lycra brigade any ideas, they'll be suing the council next for not removing the leaves from or gritting cycle paths.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Don't give the litigious lycra brigade any ideas, they'll be suing the council next for not removing the leaves from or gritting cycle paths.

So when your precious car wheel drops into a pothole ruining £800 of alloy, do you just shrug your shoulders?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Johno100
    Forumite
    brat wrote: »
    So when your precious car wheel drops into a pothole ruining £800 of alloy, do you just shrug your shoulders?

No, I'd claim on my motor insurance, suck it up and be more careful in future.

There is f'all chance of my council paying out anyway.
    Figures obtained by the Birmingham Mail show just five out of nearly 600 claims for damages against Birmingham City Council [in respect of potholes] have been upheld in the last three years.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/drivers-seeking-damages-over-potholes-5458515
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Johno100 wrote: »
    No, I'd claim on my motor insurance, suck it up and be more careful in future.

There is f'all chance of my council paying out anyway.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/drivers-seeking-damages-over-potholes-5458515

How about if you broke some bones due to a severe pothole. damaged your car and you couldn't claim for your personal injuries through your own policy, however you have a compelling case the council were liable and will cover all the costs?

Because that's more relate-able to the scenario the cyclists who came off are in.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Johno100
    Forumite
    Have to be a hell of a pothole. :)

sinkhole-Car--main_1729344a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing