Ground Source Heat Pumps

Options

Comments

• nosha123
    Options
    morning all
    Looking at the above readings from geotherm I fear I may not have all of mine.. Perhaps i should have scrolled down to get other GT readings.. but here is a start. If I have done it wrong I can amend it tomorrow!
    Menu 1.1
    5.0 temp incr/decr
    Menu 1.2
    0.0 fine-tune
    Menu 1.3
    Out 20º curve 20º Out 15º curve 24º
    Menu 1.10
    21.0º
    Menu 1.11
    5 room sens influence

Menu 3.0
    Temp readings
    return radiators GT1
    Off 36.0º now 35.4º
    out GT2 4.3º
    Hot water GT3
    tgt 5.0 now 49.1 (the 49.1 might be an error.. I cant read my scribbled properly and we were having a 'marital' over who was doing the button pushing!!!)

Menu 7.1 op time readings
    no of hours in op 1965h (This sounds horrific! Is this the no of hours immersion is kicking in?)

Menu 7.2
    HP DHW-Rad% 18% DHW 82% RAD

Menu 7.3
    Add heat hours 410h (or maybe this is the immersion???)

and the GT readings
    GT1 return raditator off 36.0 now 35.6
    GT2 Out 4.3
    GT3 Hot Water. Tgt 51.0 Now 49.1
    GT5 Room. Tgt 21.0 Now 20.8
    GT6 Compressor 80.0
    GT8 Heat trfluid out 40.5
    GT9 Heat trfluid in 33.8
    GT10 Ht trfld (coll) in -0.7
    GT11 Htrfld (coll) out -3.8

Alarms Menu 11.0
    There were a few... Initally looked like they were dated. As first reading starts 101210 (but then subsequent readings showed 101209)
    All the alarm messages were "exceeded temp heat carrier inlet"

On boxing day we discovered a leak.. there was glycol all over the garage floor and an 'O-ring' had changed shape so wasnt maintaining a seal. We called the emergency number and was told if you put the O ring into hot water it will revert to normal shape. This leak then happened another two times before an engineer could get to us to fill the glycol back up and to change the faulty part for one that doesnt alter shape!!!! We were not happy!!!! Has since been fine - but my husband (who is a builder and also does plumbing etc) accidentally let some of the gas out of the compressor. Ice Energy told us there are only 4 men in the UK who can top it up and it costs £500. Apparently we can get an air-con or refrigerator engineer to do it also - and likely for less than £500. We were told the system will not be as efficient without the right amount of gas in the compressor so I am trying now to find someone who can do this urgently!

There I think that is all.. unless of course I am missing several readings like you have posted above!
    Thanks in advance!!
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please see my comments below.

nosha123 wrote: »
    morning all
    Looking at the above readings from geotherm I fear I may not have all of mine.. Perhaps i should have scrolled down to get other GT readings.. but here is a start. If I have done it wrong I can amend it tomorrow!
    Menu 1.1
    5.0 temp incr/decr
    This would normally be 4 for a underfloor system, unless you have heated towel rails, or a radiator linked in.
    Menu 1.2
    0.0 fine-tune
    Menu 1.3
    Out 20º curve 20º Out 15º curve 24º
    Looks OK
    Menu 1.10
    21.0º
    Menu 1.11
    5 room sens influence
    Suggest change to 6 or7 as outside sensor may be giving too much influence.

Menu 3.0
    Temp readings
    return radiators GT1
    Off 36.0º now 35.4º
    out GT2 4.3º
    Hot water GT3
    tgt 5.0 now 49.1 (the 49.1 might be an error.. I cant read my scribbled properly and we were having a 'marital' over who was doing the button pushing!!!)
    readings look ok

Menu 7.1 op time readings
    no of hours in op 1965h (This sounds horrific! Is this the no of hours immersion is kicking in?)
    Far too high, this is only compressor use, you should be looking @ circa 12 -14 hrs per day in the winter

Menu 7.2
    HP DHW-Rad% 18% DHW 82% RAD
    % are about right

Menu 7.3
    Add heat hours 410h (or maybe this is the immersion???)
    Again far too high for a few month old installation. Without you going into the service menu, then it is impossible to see the immersion connection Kw is set at. Do you know how to access that menu?

and the GT readings
    GT1 return raditator off 36.0 now 35.6
    GT2 Out 4.3
    GT3 Hot Water. Tgt 51.0 Now 49.1
    GT5 Room. Tgt 21.0 Now 20.8
    GT6 Compressor 80.0
    GT8 Heat trfluid out 40.5
    GT9 Heat trfluid in 33.8
    GT10 Ht trfld (coll) in -0.7
    GT11 Htrfld (coll) out -3.8
    The readings above, all look within the operating parameters, apart from GT10/11 which look low for the external temp, although the delta @ 3C is ok. My view is that as the room temp is set @ 21C then combined with the operating times, the ground loops are recharging too slowly, due to that the electrical backup is kicking in too often.
    Is there a flow valve on the collectors, that you depress to give the flow rate. It normally pops a disc up to show how many litres min going through the ground loop?

Alarms Menu 11.0
    There were a few... Initally looked like they were dated. As first reading starts 101210 (but then subsequent readings showed 101209)
    All the alarm messages were "exceeded temp heat carrier inlet"
    The last recorded alarm is shown first, so 10/12/10 is the last time there was a problem. Have you cleaned the internal filter since the installation, plus the ground loop filter?

On boxing day we discovered a leak.. there was glycol all over the garage floor and an 'O-ring' had changed shape so wasnt maintaining a seal. We called the emergency number and was told if you put the O ring into hot water it will revert to normal shape. This leak then happened another two times before an engineer could get to us to fill the glycol back up and to change the faulty part for one that doesnt alter shape!!!! We were not happy!!!! Has since been fine - but my husband (who is a builder and also does plumbing etc) accidentally let some of the gas out of the compressor. Ice Energy told us there are only 4 men in the UK who can top it up and it costs £500. Apparently we can get an air-con or refrigerator engineer to do it also - and likely for less than £500. We were told the system will not be as efficient without the right amount of gas in the compressor so I am trying now to find someone who can do this urgently!
    A refrigeration engineer should be able to do this without any problem.

There I think that is all.. unless of course I am missing several readings like you have posted above!
    Thanks in advance!!
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • lovesgshp
    edited 2 February 2011 at 2:54PM
    Options
    A few other thoughts.
    Can you go into menu 2 for the DHW and tell me if what the peak boost timer is set at? This is the one that does the disinfection cycle.
    You also said that you had heating timers on, are you reducing the temp in the house, or using the pump timer settings. If using the pump return temp setting it should not be below 1.5C for underfloor systems, as you will use much more power to return to a normal level.
    Will you also give me a 24hr reading from menu 7 from today to the same time tomorrow.
  • nosha123
    nosha123 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow.. thanks Geotherm
    First point yes we do have three heated towel rails.

Second point: would the fact we have lost some gas in the compressor be affecting this reading? Ice Energy want £420 to re-gas it and say its a full day's site visit (inc travel from up north). Can I get any refrigeration engineer to do this or will I have to use Ice Energy? They say they would RATHER they did it. but I bet its cheaper elsewhere!

Dont know how to access the service menu - but can read manual tonight. What should I be looking for?

Room temps are now all set lower - and operating at about 19.5º.

Will ask husband about flow rate valves tonight.

Re alarms.. the reading 101210 doesnt seem to be a 'date' as the next entry I scrolled to was 101209 followed by 101208 and we only had it commissioned a few months ago! From what I understand filters have been cleaned and were full of muck!

Will get other readings for you tonight if I can work out how!

Thanks so much!
  • nosha123
    Options
    Do you have a gut reaction or slight inkling as to what our problem might be?
    I cant bear to be sat here at work.. I can almost hear my bank account emptying!!!! ching ching ching ching
  • lovesgshp
    Options
    Hope a few of these answers help
    Wow.. thanks Geotherm
    First point yes we do have three heated towel rails.
    Suggest you turn the menu in 1 down to 4.5

Second point: would the fact we have lost some gas in the compressor be affecting this reading? Ice Energy want £420 to re-gas it and say its a full day's site visit (inc travel from up north). Can I get any refrigeration engineer to do this or will I have to use Ice Energy? They say they would RATHER they did it. but I bet its cheaper elsewhere!
    Any refrigeration engineer should be able to recharge the system. Remember, this is only a refrigerator working in reverse as such.

Dont know how to access the service menu - but can read manual tonight. What should I be looking for?
    Hold down the far right button on the control panel for approx 20 secs. I will let you know what to check in menu 5 of that control in another post

Room temps are now all set lower - and operating at about 19.5º.
    OK

Will ask husband about flow rate valves tonight.
    Thanks

Re alarms.. the reading 101210 doesnt seem to be a 'date' as the next entry I scrolled to was 101209 followed by 101208 and we only had it commissioned a few months ago! From what I understand filters have been cleaned and were full of muck!
    Suggest you recheck the filters again. The alarms are latest first on the menu, so 101210 relates to the 10th Dec 2010. If the date is set correctly, then this would be the last recorded.

Will get other readings for you tonight if I can work out how!
    Thanks, if any problems with anything let me know

Thanks so much!
  • lovesgshp
    edited 2 February 2011 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Do you have a gut reaction or slight inkling as to what our problem might be?
    I cant bear to be sat here at work.. I can almost hear my bank account emptying!!!! ching ching ching ching
    Still working on it!!!
    Have you the thermal analysis data from Ice Energy for the system size?
  • nosha123
    Options
    Sorry!!! Wasnt hounding you!! if thats how it sounded... its a bloody relief to have found someone who REALLY knows their stuff!!!! and can help us!!
  • lovesgshp
    Options
    Sorry!!! Wasnt hounding you!! if thats how it sounded... its a bloody relief to have found someone who REALLY knows their stuff!!!! and can help us!!
    No problem, please dont worry, hopefully I can help, even though 1000 miles away!!
  • paceinternet
    paceinternet Posts: 355 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2011 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Watching here with interest.
    Do those numbers mean the compressor has run for 1965 hours and additional heat for 410 hours?
    Is some (or maybe all) of that for disinfection, or is that recorded separately?
    You do need to know how many kw that additional heat system is rated at to understand how many kwh you have been using.

I will remove the next paragraph if my opening is incorrect.
    If there is additional heating built in, I would suggest that if you are seeing some milder temperature days this week, you check the kw daily usage on your electric meter and also compare with those running hours to discover if additional heat running hours is still increasing, and what the system is using. It could/should be, as I said some posts back, that additional heat was required below ?? ambient temperature, but it can run without this above ??degc.
    But this is how most installers/specifiers choose the size of system. The capital cost increase to the next size of HP is not justified for the 10 or 20 days that the extra capacity is needed, so additional kw is provide by resistance heaters. In your case, it looks like 20% ish could be too high for the time it has been running, and the model is undersized.
    *****The additional heaters are identified as 6kw in a later post which means the compressor has consumed between 4700 and 6300 kwh, and the additional heaters 2460 kwh. The %age is therefore higher than 20%. Somewhere between 52 and 40%.*****
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback