Howdens Kitchen Discount

Options
Hi all,

Long time lurker, but new(ish) poster on here

After reading all the advice I have found on here on kitchens, I decided to construct a price on DIY Kitchens. Then used this price to barter with Howdens, and managed to get them to 85% discount

The price is £2400 for 8 units (painted timber), end panels, plinths and cornices. But I've yet to add worktops and appliances. Which comes in very close to what DIY offered

The question is, is 85% about as far as they are likely to go? And would you recomend painted timber doors over, wrapped 18mm MDF?

And finally, based on experience.. DIY or Howdens?

Thank you

Jon

Comments

• MarcTJTD
    MarcTJTD Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    If you have the quote handy, can you upload it so that we can see what units/doors you've been priced for and the quantities? .. it'll give a good indication of whether you've been.

Howdens are typically a lower spec than DIY kitchens, but as a manufacturer they can resolve problems very quickly.

DIY Kitchens have quite a high delivery charge that you should be aware of (£75 for bring the delivery for you to unload, £150+ for them to unload it for you) and charge a restocking fee if you return any items after 10 days. They also can't guarantee a paint match after 1 month, so be sure you're ordering accurately if you do decide to use them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Howdens are trade only (although there has been a recent post where a DIYer claims to have purchased from them).
  • MarcTJTD
    MarcTJTD Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Howdens are trade only (although there has been a recent post where a DIYer claims to have purchased from them).

They market themselves as being a trade supplier, but they're under increasing internal pressure to hit their targets and continue their growth so they're more than happy to deal with retail customers these days.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

read this thread.
  • supa34
    supa34 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it really 85% discount. Can we call it that? Why don't they start with 1 unit for £10000, then give you 99.9% discount and bring it to £100?

That's why I refuse to buy from howdens. They don't have prices!! Just numbers plucked form air and you have to beg just to get a price.

Stick to DIY kitchens. They atleast had proper pricing and fair pricing.
  • newsaver16
    Options
    Hello, Thank you

I'm torn because I like the simplicity of DIY, and the honest pricing and quality. But tempted with the ease of Howdens, and the ease of correction if anything goes wrong

The Howdens quote is :

Quantity Name Disc Price(Net)
    2 400mm CC Drawline Base 85% £299.40
    3 800mm Highline base 85% £479.25
    2 1000mm Fullheight wall 85% £312
    1 1000mm FF Bridging Unit 85% £159
    1 600 Appliance Door 85% £72.25
    5 3mm Cornice 85% £179.25
    2 3mm Plinth 85% £87.30
    3 Base Decor End 85% £187.20
    4 Full height wall decor end 85% £142.80
    2 Tower Decor End £227.40

Net : £2146.05
    Gross : £2575.26

This is all with Tewksbury Dove Grey doors, which I believe is their 'top of the range'?

I still need to add worktops, sink, appliances.. but comparisons are like for like.

The DIY quote was £2441.08 including £75 basic delivery. This is for the Norton doors, which I think is pretty much comparable?

Thank you

Jon
  • newsaver16
    Options
    I keep reading that they're trade only, but I've been in there a number of times for bits and bobs, and even had a full quote a few years back, and they've never even mentioned it

Must be on a pretty much branch by branch basis
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

read this thread.

Having dealt with Howdens for 20 years, nearly, it says way more about the OP and their fitter than it does about Howdens.

Howdens have their fault (ie. opaque and frustrating pricing) but that's it. If you find a price you are happy with, then they very easy to deal with and any potential issues can be ironed out quickly. That means on both sides - potential mis-measures or a quick change of mind on site can be sorted out within hours, often.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • newsaver16
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with all I've read on Howdens to be fair, and I've read a lot more good, than bad.. so not focussing on that thread too much

Just can't make my mind up between the two, and curious if anyone has been able to push them to a bigger discount than 85%.. seen a few people mention 70-80, but not too many over that
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    newsaver16 wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with all I've read on Howdens to be fair, and I've read a lot more good, than bad.. so not focussing on that thread too much

Just can't make my mind up between the two, and curious if anyone has been able to push them to a bigger discount than 85%.. seen a few people mention 70-80, but not too many over that

I think 85% really is as good as it gets. 75% is a very good day.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure