Sky Fibre Price Rise Question

Hi, I am still in contract for phone line and fibre broadband.
I have looked online at Sky future bills and they are adding £2 to my fibre broadband but are not increasing the price of my line rental.
I would like to leave them once written notice has been received but not sure if i could cancel the line rental as this price has not been increased?

Comments

• you can cancel. see separate mse announcement on main website , and seperate forum post for more info
  • dqnet
    dqnet Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Building up on this question slightly;

I have paid for my line rental upfront for the year to save costs so when I called and asked if I could leave early because of my broadband only price increase she said yes you can certainly move your fibre package elsewhere within 30 days but we will not pro-rata refund you your line rental saver and you need to find a company that is willing to supply fibre or broadband without a land line.

Is this true..?
  • dqnet wrote: »
    Building up on this question slightly;

I have paid for my line rental upfront for the year to save costs so when I called and asked if I could leave early because of my broadband only price increase she said yes you can certainly move your fibre package elsewhere within 30 days but we will not pro-rata refund you your line rental saver and you need to find a company that is willing to supply fibre or broadband without a land line.

Is this true..?
    i,m assuming your not with sky.. as sky don't do line rental saver

I was previously with plusnet and had line rental saver, when they raised their prices I left and got a pro rota payment for the remaining months, so if they do it I,m sure most if not all others that do line rental saver will have to do the same
  • i,m assuming your not with sky.. as sky don't do line rental saver

That's what I thought when I saw the post but wasn't 100% sure I'd not missed something.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have ALR paid with the same company that supplys BB etc then advanced line rental is refunded if you ask pro rata / As always cancellation has to be via the price rise email . Cancellation or swap not via the email leads to broken contract charges .
  • dqnet
    i,m assuming your not with sky.. as sky don't do line rental saver

I was previously with plusnet and had line rental saver, when they raised their prices I left and got a pro rota payment for the remaining months, so if they do it I,m sure most if not all others that do line rental saver will have to do the same

That's what I thought when I saw the post but wasn't 100% sure I'd not missed something.

When renewing your contract you can ask for ALR/DLR and they will give it to you as an option when haggling for your new contract term. That's how I got it anyway
  • dqnet wrote: »
    When renewing your contract you can ask for ALR/DLR and they will give it to you as an option when haggling for your new contract term. That's how I got it anyway

I had a quick look and they did have it up until 19/12/2014 when they quietly dropped it.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/uk-isp-sky-broadband-stops-offering-line-rental-saver-discount.html

I can't see anything about them reinstating it though, the following websites are all in the dark if you can still get it, perhaps it's a legacy thing, strange.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/is-line-rental-saver-worth-it

https://broadbanddeals.co.uk/line-rental-saver-bt-sky-virgin-cheaper-broadband/

https://www.landlinesaver.co.uk/guides/line-rental-saver
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dqnet wrote: »

I don't know if it apples to all providers (if it doesn't it should) but BT initially said their line rental saver wasn't refundable , so if you moved provider , you were not entitled to a pro rata refund of the months paid for but not 'used', Ofcom stepped in and the policy changed and you do get a refund, even if some customer service reps still say otherwise, perhaps Sky have to refund too.
  • dqnet
    iniltous wrote: »
    I don't know if it apples to all providers (if it doesn't it should) but BT initially said their line rental saver wasn't refundable , so if you moved provider , you were not entitled to a pro rata refund of the months paid for but not 'used', Ofcom stepped in and the policy changed and you do get a refund, even if some customer service reps still say otherwise, perhaps Sky have to refund too.

Thanks for this, I'm going to do a quick shop around to see if there is anything cheaper before calling them. The £2.00 quid a month more on what I'm paying might not be worth the headache for the remaining 9 months I have left anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure