Unknown iTunes charges on my credit card?

So I've been going over last years credit card statements and just noticed a lot of transactions with iTunes, I don't really check my statement that often as I barely use the card (my fault I know).

Anyway I have 11 transactions from itunes over one month totalling over £500, then approx £190 has been refunded back to the card the next month but I'm still down around £305.

I've spoken to Apple and these are not showing on my own iTunes purchase history, Apple can't find them on my account either, but they do show purchases made by my card? They have informed me they are unable to refund me.

I've now spoken to the credit card company and I said these should be classed as fraud, they cancelled my card and are sending me a new one, however they rang yesterday to say as I have a iTunes account they cannot class these as fraud so will not be refunding me.

I again rang Apple and they have sent me an email stating that these charges are not related to my account and are fraudulent, I've sent this email to the credit card company and I am appealing their initial decision.

My problem is Apple will not tell me anything about the account these charges were paid to (data protection act), I have no idea how its happened, I have a 7 year old daughter but she wouldn't know anything about iTunes or credit cards and no one else has access to my card.

I've now started thinking about last year I was dating someone who had a teenage boy who was addicted to playing Fortnite on his iPhone, I used to stay over and leave my wallet downstairs, my mind is now thinking it may have been him using my card on his account to buy things. That is the only thing I can think of and I'm not proud to say I'm thinking this may be what's happened as Apple will not tell me anything about the account what purchased something from my card.

If the credit card turn me down for a refund do I have any more options to chase my money back?

Thanks.

Comments

• FOS would be your next step.
  • FOS would be your next step.

Hi, what is FOS please?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2019 at 10:42AM
    Financial Ombudsman Service. If you look at the complaints procedure in your card T&Cs it will tell you all about it.
  • molerat wrote: »
    Financial Ombudsman Service. If you look at the complaints procedure in your card T&Cs it will tell you all about it.

Ah OK thanks, for a minute I thought it meant freedom of speech...
  • I've had several scam emails purporting to be from Apple to advise that I have purchased something or other from iTunes and instructing me to log in via the supplied link to ...........well you know the rest.

I've never registered any card to an iTunes account so this is clearly fraudulent trawling and it gets binned right after being forwarded to Apple's security people.

The advice to bring the FOS into play is spot on.

As for the teenage suspect - be 100% sure before you go down that route.
  • When you escalate your complaint to the FOS, don't forget to pass on the iTunes email to the FOS, as that is your supporting evidence. (I'm assuming that you have already passed on the iTunes email to your credit card company yeah?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Hope you get to the truth and get your money back but on a slight side issue:-

Always check your statements.
    Always have your wallet/keys etc near to you when you sleep. Do not leave them downstairs for burglars to come in and take.
    Never leave keys on a rack with titles to show what they will open.
    Never leave keys in the door overnight - keep them near to you or hide them, but make sure you can get at them if you need to leave the house in a hurry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2019 at 7:25PM
    Hi thanks for the pointers, yes I have passed the Apple email on to Santander appeals and I really don't want to accuse anyone but I cannot think of any other way I had my compromise on my card.

I'll see what happens with the appeal process, I'm very frustrated that apple can't tell me what the transactions were for...

I to have had scam emails from Apple but never clicked on the link and just sent them to spam...
  • however they rang yesterday to say as I have a iTunes account they cannot class these as fraud so will not be refunding me.

That is a rather weak response, particularly given Apple's input.

Personally I wouldn't mention the issue of the teenage boy. It is for the CC to prove that the transactions were authorised by you, or that you authorised somebody else to use the card, or that you were involved in fraud. Else they are not your transactions and the CC must take the hit. (Perhaps with recourse to the merchant.)

If it's too late for them to chargeback the merchant, then I can understand they will be reluctant. Ultimately it will have to be FOS if they do not relent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2019 at 11:55AM
    So just spoke to Santander again and again they have refused to refund me the seven transactions as I have a relationship with the merchant (Apple) and this needs to be resolved with them.

So next step is the FOS but who do I say the problem is with, Apple or Santander when filling out details to the FOS?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport