BT Monopoly of Fibre To The Home ?

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,482
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No, the regulator is there to stop BT from abusing its monopoly. Openreach being an absolutely classic example.

In the context of this discussion, which is about provision of retail services, BT means BT Consumer who clearly don't have a monopoly because the link above demonstrates there are alternative providers offering FTTP.
  • Also not on the Openreach page but are companies that do offer FTTP via Openreach are IDNET https://www.idnet.com/data_products/super-fast-broadband.php and FREEOLA https://freeola.com/fttp-ultrafast/
  • Because the setup is FTTH / FTTP, then Fibre to the Cabinet isn't an option.

Are you certain? Our street is FTTP ready, but our existing provider doesn't offer FTTP yet.. I ran a check at

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

and as it displayed a cabinet number against our Exchange, we were able to get FTTC from our existing provider instead.
    butterfly )i(
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,016
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Because the setup is FTTH / FTTP, then Fibre to the Cabinet isn't an option. To change providers, I'd have to go back to slo-mo Broadband of 8-10 MB level through my phone line. The problem is that other providers aren't (yet) prepared to offer FTTH/P outside big cities for now.
    How do I find out the ones that don't appear on comparison websites ?

I'm not sure your reason for other providers not offering FTTP is the correct one , the two major LLU /MPF providers don't offer FTTP over Openreach in urban or rural locations , it's much more likely that they want to sweat their LLU assets, if they invested in ADSL2 via LLU , then move a customer from their own LLU network where they only pay LLU line rental to OR , onto FTTP , they in effect have their LLU kit stood idle and pay more overall to OR , so they are hardly likely to proactively move customers onto someone else's kit and recieve proportionality less money from their customer, as more FTTP becomes available , and if applications that need extra speed become available and thier customers start to leave because they want the speed that Sky and TT don't offer, then they will start to offer FTTP, in fact Sky have said they intend to offer FTTP over OR network but no dates or prices have been published
  • Are you certain? Our street is FTTP ready, but our existing provider doesn't offer FTTP yet.. I ran a check at

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

and as it displayed a cabinet number against our Exchange, we were able to get FTTC from our existing provider instead.

I don't get this idea that if you can get FTTP then you can't get FTTC. Surely that's just related to BT for FTTP only, the OP has a copper pair coming in presumably since he mentions the speed they can get, so why wouldn't Sky and the rest be able to use FTTC?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't get this idea that if you can get FTTP then you can't get FTTC. Surely that's just related to BT for FTTP only, the OP has a copper pair coming in presumably since he mentions the speed they can get, so why wouldn't Sky and the rest be able to use FTTC?

Because there is no PCP close enough on the route to provide the FTTC. User is semi rural.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

Because there is no PCP close enough on the route to provide the FTTC. User is semi rural.

Im guessing that if OP wanted FTTC they would probably have to wait for BBUK to get around to it. However they won't because OP can get FTTP/H.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,016
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 February 2019 at 1:49PM
    As the OP has FTTP , if it's not available now, it's not likely that FTTC will ever be available, afterall once they have FTTP, why would OR go back and spend money providing an inferior FTTC system, especially if it's just so please some customers that whinge that they don't have acces to the 'stack em high and sell em cheap' providers that chose to offer FTTC but not FTTP.

Obviously providing both FTTC and FTTP is an expensive and a waste of resources, given that the government want Superfast speeds to be widely available , if ultrafast becomes available instead , surely that's even better....there will be some areas where an overlap exists more by 'luck' than management and end users have a a choice of ADSL, VDSL and FTTP , but in the OP case , they have something the Government, the ISP industry, and the media, including company's like TT and Sky that berate OR for the lack of, yet some who do have it , don't want it , or dont want to pay more than they pay for ADSL or VDSL
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    iniltous wrote: »
    As the OP has FTTP , if it's not available now, it's not likely that FTTC will ever be available, afterall once they have FTTP

Exactly, I have FTTP when the Openreach engineers were installing the underground fibre cable in our area I asked whether FTTC would also be available, to which they stated that none of the cabinets were being changed as once FTTP is available there would be no point in providing FTTC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure