Public opinion on drug use

Hi everybody.
I was wondering if you could help me with my dissertation. I am doing a peice of research on general public opinion on drug use and would like as wide a sample as possible. If you could spare any time to complete the online survey and also share on your own social media or with friends and family I would be very grateful.
https://ljmupsych.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cxb05jyLnR9fcR7
Thanks again.

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I would question your methodology. You may get a large sample, but I doubt it will be a representative one.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks! Your opinion is valid. There are a few of us distributing the survey by our own methods so hopefully it will be a little bit more representative but I can only try!
    Thankyou for looking though.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 January 2019 at 12:05PM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I would question your methodology. You may get a large sample, but I doubt it will be a representative one.

The OP does ask a range of demographic questions in the survey so with a sufficiently large sample size you can weight the results to take that into account, although the lack of online only news outlets in the media section seemed an odd omission.
  • Nick_C
    I agree you can weight the results by demographics, but putting out a survey this way is going to attract people with strong opinions, who may not be representative of the population as a whole.
  • System
    Thanks for the feedback NaughtiusMaximus. I'll be running this as a pilot study so any suggestions and gaps in the data will be explored further then it can be adjusted for a larger study.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    I agree you can weight the results by demographics, but putting out a survey this way is going to attract people with strong opinions, who may not be representative of the population as a whole.

I think that's a problem with any survey regardless of the subject or how you conduct it. There are also people who will respond just because they like doing surveys but that probably doesn't help a great deal with obtaining an accurate sample.

IMO this is why political opinion polls can often be wrong, they don't accurately capture the voting intentions of people who don't have strong feelings one way or the other.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2019 at 1:24PM
    Hi everybody.
    I was wondering if you could help me with my dissertation.

You clearly agreed to only post 'research"questions in one specific forum here - and it isn't this one.

Please get this shifted.

You might also want to double check your institutions policy on online research - Few if any that I've seen would consider any data gathered here to be in any way acceptable.
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Completed the survey, I found the questions interesting and I hope my replies are of use towards your studies.

I don’t have social media so I’m unable to pass the survey to others. Good luck with everything.
  • Nick_C
    Typo in the survey

"Please indicate how much you agree with the following statements. Here we use to term 'drug dependence' to mean a substance use disorder or addiction"
  • System
    Thank Nick_C and Squiggles

And pogofish I don't know who you are or what you're talking about. I haven't 'clearly agreed' anything with yourself. Your thread history is just highlighting SPAM rather than anything meaningful. If you don't want to help that's fine there's no need to be obnoxious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure