Spear phishing scam?

Hi,

I've just receive 2 suspicious emails one in my gmail Inbox another into Spam folder with similar message quoting my full name and previous address.

Dear [My Name],

Regarding the amount due 1940.89 GBP, we act on behalf of Airnesco Group in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 23.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?e=n-7a820__________ [amended]

Original invoice will be sent out to:
[My correct name and previous address]

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 10.04.16

Yours truly,
Peter Richardson

The email was send from Peter Richardson @stuart-bathurst.org.uk which is high school domain.
Airnesco Group is manufacturer of a compressed air operated products which I've never heard of or dealt with.

The second email differ only in sender's email, company name and amount. The rest of the wording is the same.

Does anyone come across similar communication as of today there were few post with similar message on www.avforums.com

Comments

• welg
    welg Posts: 21 Forumite
    Just got, with my correct right name and postal address

Regarding the amount due 1229.62 GBP, we act on behalf of Wallis Autogyros in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 25.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?vuh=mekbbc29ij2-7&ig
  • Colxfile
    Colxfile Posts: 77 Forumite
    Another one here. Received at 10.18 this morning:
    Dear <My Name>,

Regarding the amount due 1979.85 GBP, we act on behalf of Cheetah Marine LLP in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 28.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?poxo=<REDACTED&gt;

<My Name>
    <My old address from 2 years ago>

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 10.04.16

Yours sincerely,
    <Person's Name>
    No previous dealings with this business, and any such would be a touch eccentric on my part: the business named in the email sells power-boats, but I live a long way from the seaside! :o
    "Peter Pan is 2. Shirley Bassey is 3. Dr Ian Paisley is 4. King Lear is 5. Why?"

"...also known as taking in the Spanish Cub Scout leader. (Cryptic) (5)"

Thanks to MSE, I've seen Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Serenity for FREE! :D
  • vkharch
    vkharch Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the responses, that put my mind at ease. Just reported this to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
  • tamsle
    tamsle Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post
    I've also had one of these emails today, saying I owe nearly £2k to a company that appears to sell military equipment(!). They've quoted my old (parents') address that I haven't lived at for 10 years.

It definitely appears to be a scam, nothing about the email is legitimate and the sender's email is linked to a charity in Scotland, not a debt collecting company.

I will also report the email.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You can all waste your time reporting spam/phishing emails if you want but it's a lot easier to just delete them and get on with life. And certainly not worth reporting on here - I'd be doing it for hours every day if I did.
  • tamsle
    tamsle Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post
    I usually do delete them, as a business owner I receive them regularly each week, but when they hate using my personal details I feel it's worth reporting.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tamsle wrote: »
    I usually do delete them, as a business owner I receive them regularly each week, but when they hate using my personal details I feel it's worth reporting.

They are using mine as well as yours .
  • I have had to deal with over a 100 emails because my domain name is one of those that has been used. Some of these are abusive. I am amazed that people still don't understand to just delete these - they have been around for some time. Maybe there has been an upsurge or some data has been stolen.
    A couple have phoned me and one wondered if the data could have been stolen from discogs.com as he thinks he bought a record from me via discogs. The data also seems to be fairly old - people have moved and a number of non-deliveries or forwards.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I got one today.
    Strange how they have my full home address including postcode and sent it to my most private email address. :mad:
  • Just received this email including my home address, relieved to see all the posts of a similar nature.

Dear James Clark,

Regarding the amount due 387.18 GBP, we act on behalf of Vulcan Tanks Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 26.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link ..................

James Clark
    (Home address was typed here)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 14.04.16

Kindest regards,
    Bradley Warner
    End

Total scam, I've never heard of this company, none of the searchable information checks out. beware folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure