defro boiler

Comments

• my boiler doesn't just run coal, you can also burn wood, turf, paper, cardboard basically anything. put out in the garage or outhouse and have no mess in the house, compared to a stove
    and the firebox is huge compared to a stove
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So from the figures above you used to spend £100 a month on oil but now spend £5 a day on coal (£150 a month).

I take it this is an 'always on' system due to the fact it burns coal, peat etc..... Not that useful for 90% of people who are out of the house all day at work.

The sums may add up for some people, but considering I'm out all day and I don't really run my oil boiler from April to September, not for me.

If need be I can turn the heat on and off at the flick of a switch, at the weekend in winter I can light my fire with back boiler and have the added bonus of watching flames all day :)
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Alex.. please check PM
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • nothing in pm
  • Sounds like an interesting boiler - might look into it myself !
  • Coolhandluke
    Coolhandluke Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 February 2015 at 11:26AM
    alexsewell wrote: »
    pea coal is 200 a tonne from lcc
    but you can get it in derry for 85 1/2 tonne

yes the money is right I was spending 100-130 month on oil, but i had it one 4 hours a day and the house was never warm and never had enough hot water.
    now the heating is on 24/7 and i mean 24/7 and the house is warmer than ever and plenty of hot water and proper hot water.
    i am very happy and i know you look at the calculations and say it costs more, but it doesn't as if i was run my oil 24/7 it would cost a lot more and wouldn't see the same benefits in my opinion.
    I would def give this a go.
    my installer as a few around the country and you could go see one and get the more peoples thoughts on the boiler
    send me pm for more info

If it was costing you £100/130 per month to run an oil boiler for 4hrs per day I would say there was something wrong with the settings on your boiler.
    Mine has been £100/month for the last 5 months and mine is on at least 8 or 9 hrs a day and the boiler is over 15 years old.
  • Hi Alex can you tell me how you are getting on with the boiler and would it run with wood shavings , many thanks Richard
  • Hey. We have one also - we live in northern Ireland and the boiler has since broke. Do you know anyone who would be able to have a look at it?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    my heating is on 24/7 its never off, so the house is always toasty.

i live in a older house and if i was too do this with oil it would cost a fortune.

plenty of heat and plenty of hot water.

at the cost of 1 bag of eco coal got from lcc @ £5 per bag its very cheap.

when using oil i was spending 100pound per month and i never had what i have now. the house is warmer than it ever was.

the guy that put it in, told me that if i wasn't toasty he would give me my money back so have to say he's didn't gamble.
    cost to run is 1 bag for 24 hours heat so 5pound per day

i live in a 2000sq house 14 rads + hot water

house is built in 70's so isn't that well insulated

100 per month < £5 per day
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Ash emptying and cleaning where two of the main reasons people switched from solid fuel boilers years ago to oil or gas.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport