defro boiler

I would like to share with the group.

I just installed a new DEFRO boiler ( polish made) it runs with a pea coal via an automatic hopper, and has the option off running off wood, turf, cardboard.

its installed next too my oil boiler in my garage and connected to it and can keep my oil boiler as backup. quite simple install and no mess at all in my house, this was a plus as compared to putting in stove.

if you require any more info feel free to pm me.

Comments

• tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Alex, did you do any costings as to how it fared over the oil system?

How long till it starts paying for itself considering the present price of oil?
  • my heating is on 24/7 its never off, so the house is always toasty.

i live in a older house and if i was too do this with oil it would cost a fortune.

plenty of heat and plenty of hot water.

at the cost of 1 bag of eco coal got from lcc @ £5 per bag its very cheap.

when using oil i was spending 100pound per month and i never had what i have now. the house is warmer than it ever was.

the guy that put it in, told me that if i wasn't toasty he would give me my money back so have to say he's didn't gamble.
  • cost to run is 1 bag for 24 hours heat so 5pound per day

i live in a 2000sq house 14 rads + hot water

house is built in 70's so isn't that well insulated
  • jjd
    jjd Posts: 216 Forumite
    What was the cost of purchasing and installing?
  • my boiler cost over £2000. thats for a fully automatic feed boiler with a coal hopper, you can buy them manual for around 600 cheaper. manual meaning you feed it yourself.

i liked the automatic version as no hassle expect for cleaning and filling weekly and can also burn everything like the manual, including wood, turf, coal, cardboard, basically anything.

my install was more costly due to amount of class 1 flue i needed

can pm you where i brought it and installer details
  • markxx
    markxx Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds like a worthwhile investment alex...is the pea/eco coal the smokeless stuff? Are there grants available or do you need to switch completely from gas/oil for them...
    thnx
    alexsewell wrote: »
    my boiler cost over £2000
  • no grant available, not a MCS grant approved boiler.
    you can keep your oil or gas boiler as backup if you run out of coal/wood/turf etc.
    doesn't matter if your system is pressurised/open vented compared to stove boiler install.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    How much is the pea coal coming out at a tonne?

This is a slack boiler right?
  • I also live in a 1970s house and I am struggling to keep it warm and I am really interested in finding a suitable solution.

I just wanted to check your maths before I look into this option further, you say you are spending £5 per day on coal which works out at £155 per month, yet before you were spending £100 per month on oil. Did you quote the right figures? Sorry if I missed something, but I need to justify the £2000 investment.

At the minute I am considering a wood burning stove linked to the heating/hot water. My brother has just installed one for his business that doesn't require a thermal store. He is using a wood/coal burning stove to heat his bar, and also heating the rads and hot water for his B&B business from it. total installation costs was just over £3k.

The installer said it is a new system and the first one installed in NI, there is a small cold water tank which cools the system if it over heats therefore doing away with the need for a thermal store which makes the installation costs a lot cheaper.
  • pea coal is 200 a tonne from lcc
    but you can get it in derry for 85 1/2 tonne

yes the money is right I was spending 100-130 month on oil, but i had it one 4 hours a day and the house was never warm and never had enough hot water.
    now the heating is on 24/7 and i mean 24/7 and the house is warmer than ever and plenty of hot water and proper hot water.
    i am very happy and i know you look at the calculations and say it costs more, but it doesn't as if i was run my oil 24/7 it would cost a lot more and wouldn't see the same benefits in my opinion.
    I would def give this a go.
    my installer as a few around the country and you could go see one and get the more peoples thoughts on the boiler
    send me pm for more info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport