Cancelled boiler insurance now charging cancellation fees?

Hi there I’m desperate for some
Help. Had energy and boiler insurance with Swalec. Moved out of house June 2017 and called Swalec to cancel/close all accounts.
Today have had a letter in new house from credit solutions to say they are chasing an unpaid bill of £163. I phoned Swalec who said I didn’t cancel the boiler service so when I cancelled my direct debit I incurred an early repayment charge?

Is this right! When I closed all accounts I thought it was all
Sorted I don’t even know if i thought about the boiler insurance and needing to phone separate?
Any advice would be great

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you cancelled the direct debit and didnt tell them you were cancelling, then it doesnt cancel the contract.

if you cancelled the contract and the direct debit then you should complain using the regulated complaints process.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have an confirmation you cancelled, a letter is possibly gone but maybe an email.
  • No I haven’t unfortunately. They closed the gas and electric accounts.

I think I assumed that by phoning and closing all accounts it would cancel all contracts/accounts with Swalec? . I believe this is where I went wrong.

Chap on the phone today said that the boiler insurance is ‘home services’ and a different department to the gas and electric? I also assumed by telling them I was moving it would be sufficient to cancel the insurance for a boiler I no longer used? Again chap on the phone said you can move insurance with you despite not having Swalec in new property.

Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport