Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,305Posts
    • 13,774Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975
Page 8
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Feb 19, 10:10 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 17,275 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE do you know I never knew to buy or not to buy (see what I did there could be so complicated. My problem really is that I like buying the presents but I just feel itís lost something recently. We all ask each other for suggestions what to get for each other and then Iím wracking my brains for what mum, sis and two DDs can get DH and I have to give DH ideas of what people can get for me and really Iíd be happier with a small pressie thatís a surprise but that someone has seen and thought of me. Weíre no further forward really but Iíve told everyone Iíve set my budget at £10 per adult so if we go for secret Santa Iíll still have the money to cover it and if we decide not to buy Iíll have spare money - win win
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 15th Feb 19, 12:48 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 35,970 Thanks
    freespirit66
    PEPPAPIG yes itís not the same as it used to be, because people tend to buy something for themselves that they have seen, the element of surprise has truly gone here. 1.Because I donít have the money to spend on myself I do ask for specific things that I want or need and 2. Because I am on a tight budget I donít want the present I buy for that person to be put away in a cupboard and forgotten about because the person didnít like it. Crikey it is a minefield isnít it? How is your DH these days? X[/FONT]
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 16th Feb 19, 7:04 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 12,406 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Just popping in to say hi, I know I haven't managed to get on here for ages again. We haven't had the best start to 2019 here, both boys had chicken pox and various other illnesses, we've had an issue with HMRC which means we're pretty much going to lose most of our savings and my MIL was diagnosed with an aggressive bladder cancer. I usually enjoy the new year and looking ahead but it's been a bit tough here. But I am still trying to look ahead, i'm still determined to sort my house out so it is clutter free and much more relaxing. It's been half term here this week and we had a lovely few days at Center Parcs, because our half term is different to most of country it was relatively cheap (if you can ever call Center Parcs cheap!) but next week the it's three times the price so we took advantage. It also helps that this particular Center Parcs is literally two minutes from my house so no long journeys with young children! DH, Squeak and I went in Friday lunchtime then nipped out to pick Wiggle up from school, he had no idea we were going there so his face was a picture when we turned into there. Anyway I hope you and your loved ones are all well, sorry if i've missed anything. xx
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 17th Feb 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 13,385 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Oh, Princess, what an awful start, l can only hope that it improves quickly and substantially. Blasted HMRC, they did similar to us some years ago. they were in the wrong but wouldn't admit it, so we paid, then challenged them on it and won, so nil desperandum my love.
    This is traditionally my week for starting seeds off for summer, but my green finger mojo is in hibernation somewhere.
    still no sign of new great nib, niece is fed up waiting, Fave coz (her mam) sent her a carry out curry, didn't work. lol.
    • billyborden423
    • By billyborden423 18th Feb 19, 1:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    billyborden423
    Merry Christmas to everyone. Enjoyed the Christmas day.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 19th Feb 19, 3:05 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 13,385 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Hi Billyborden. Er glad you enjoyed Christmas day.
    DGS saw physio yesterday, got some exercises and a referral to podiatry, as he is developing flat feet.... size 13 flat feet.
    Friend got a cancellation appointment with the neurosurgeon, but it is tomorrow, so a 180 mile round trip, as she cant drive that far, hope l make it! lf she gets answers and a pathway for treatment it will be like Christmas for her. This crop of back pain/sciatica is daft, l think it must be contagious, or something in the air from the pharmacy companies to sell more meds!
    Better go and get petrol, so, be good, xxx
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 19th Feb 19, 4:05 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    pixielottie
    I have to say a big thankyou to everyone for the only one not getting a present sympathy

It was a weird one, I think what it was is the adults were bought for as they were their friends, and then the under 18's were. I just didn't fit into either category :/

mrsinvisible - I can't blame your green finger mojo for hiding, I've just been out to the chickens it's so cold out there still. Good luck with the journey, I hope you friend gets the answers she needs

Freespirit - I think the other thing making it harder is I think people buy for themselves more now, just if they want it they buy it. It's my biggest problem with my boyfriend, I can't buy in advance because theres the danger he will see something and just "treat himself" I almost have to tell him what I've got so he doesn't .
    I do have to hold my hands up to buying things and then offering them to my mum for me, it's half because I like it, I want it, I just can't really afford it though so it's still really appreciated, she does have a habit of losing things though so it can go a few years between purchase and gifting so they do still end up suprises
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

(Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 21st Feb 19, 12:46 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 35,970 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, Iím on my phone trying to avoid housework today!!

PRINCESSKITTY oh what an awful start to the year for you all. You both must be so worried about you mil, I hope she gets the right treatment straight away. Glad you had a few days at Center Parcs to get away from everything.

MRSINVISIBLE I hope your long hospital trip went well. Iím sure your gardening mojo will come back with a bang.

PIXIELOTTIE yes that is exactly what I meant, my exH used to guess all his presents so the element of surprise was a damp squib grrr
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter