50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

I thought I'd better get my January payday update in before February ends.

Spending- Kept myself in check this month. Did splurge a bit with Mums' 80th last weekend but within my salary so no overspend. Got my budget for food and fuel for work, so hopefully if no unforeseen expenses come our way in the next 3 weeks we'll stay on track.

Have bought Mrs CRV a wedding anniversary present but I'd better keep that under wraps as I'm not sure if she reads this thread!

Saving- £50 put away again, January pay was my basic one so no large amounts put away. Hopefully next pay will be better with a little overtime from January and mileage so will overpay some debt and bank a bit more.

Sorting- Not a lot because I never managed to get in the loft and we've had youngest son up to stay. Have cleared my car out - a feat in itself!

Have arranged some more overtime for March, having done 4 night shifts in a row and booked a dayshift for tomorrow all overtime so only 2 days off in my weeks holiday. I am well and truly worn out this week!

Other News- Brexit- if it happens seems to be a mess! Have managed to stop myself slavishly following it all.

Mrs CRV has got her reduced hours shifts, so happy wife, happy life!

My mother was 80 on 1st February so I went to lunch on the day, then a concert with Mrs CRV in the evening and the next day we all as a family went out for dinner.

Got to go to a market this morning to pick up the last of Mrs CRV Christmas Presents- ordered a frame for a poster, made to measure for her.

Simple Pleasure- Enjoyed a LimonCello and lemonade, definitely nice but a summer drink I think for me! I did manage a couple of hours wandering around York with no particular purpose, cold but sunny.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Have a great day!

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    crv1963 wrote: »

Brexit- Have managed to stop myself slavishly following it all

Wish I could say the same :D. I think there will be fireworks next week :eek:

Hope your mum enjoyed her birthday - 80 is a grand age :)
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    i realise you are saving up but working so much of your time off worries me - what if you don't have your health in retirement? Live a little today as well, none of us know what tomorrow will bring. Best wishes
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I think going over budget for your Mum's 80th is a permissable extravagance. Belated Happy Birthday to her.
  • crv1963
    Clowance wrote: »
    i realise you are saving up but working so much of your time off worries me - what if you don't have your health in retirement? Live a little today as well, none of us know what tomorrow will bring. Best wishes

Hi Clowance, I do realise that too much working consistently would be bad for my health but am going to do this for a short burst only while the opportunity is there. Currently our Team is 5 staff down through vacancies without factoring in sickness and annual leave so expect this only to be available for a couple of months, then I expect I'll/ we'll be back to just the odd shift being available.

It is therefore time limited, and in my view for our hourly rate well paid, I appreciate pay per hour is subjective, my view of what is a good rate may be someone elses' view of a poor rate or even a large rate.

I do try to balance by making the most of my time off. Another downside of working overtime is of course time away from the Gorgeous One, aka Mrs CRV!
  • crv1963
    bugslet wrote: »
    I think going over budget for your Mum's 80th is a permissable extravagance. Belated Happy Birthday to her.

Mum tells me she enjoyed her birthday and felt spoilt, which of course she was as this was the whole point of us all going that bit further for her.

She now has been spending most days gardening while the weather is suitable for doing her hedges and planning a couple of new paths! Which she intends digging the base for when the ground softens!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Hi Clowance, I do realise that too much working consistently would be bad for my health but am going to do this for a short burst only while the opportunity is there. Currently our Team is 5 staff down through vacancies without factoring in sickness and annual leave so expect this only to be available for a couple of months, then I expect I'll/ we'll be back to just the odd shift being available.

It is therefore time limited, and in my view for our hourly rate well paid, I appreciate pay per hour is subjective, my view of what is a good rate may be someone elses' view of a poor rate or even a large rate.

I do try to balance by making the most of my time off. Another downside of working overtime is of course time away from the Gorgeous One, aka Mrs CRV!

Part of my retirement date was set so that it coincided with the better weather. May as well do the overtime now and do less hours as the sun emerges.
    Mum tells me she enjoyed her birthday and felt spoilt, which of course she was as this was the whole point of us all going that bit further for her.

She now has been spending most days gardening while the weather is suitable for doing her hedges and planning a couple of new paths! Which she intends digging the base for when the ground softens!

That's lovely to hear.

I've been pondering about buying another house - it's so unique and unusual and ticks so many boxes for me - but I've decided against it and ermine's post on the pension board confirmed what I had been thinking, that I need to give myself time between finishing work and really embarking on major changes. However, on another small forum I was debating this with the ladies and several of them said, 'oooh, I know you like gardening but think what it will be like in ten years when you are 65'. I am going to pop over there and tell them about your cool gardening mother.:D
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • [QUOTE=bugslett;__I_know_you_like_gardeningbut_think_what_it_will_be_like_in_ten_years_when_you_are_65'._:D[/QUOTE]

Take no heed of them :). I'll be 63 this year and can honestly say that gardening is less of a physical chore to me now, than it was when I retired 8 years ago :).
  • crv1963
    bugslett wrote: »
    Part of my retirement date was set so that it coincided with the better weather. May as well do the overtime now and do less hours as the sun emerges.

That's lovely to hear.

I've been pondering about buying another house - it's so unique and unusual and ticks so many boxes for me - but I've decided against it and ermine's post on the pension board confirmed what I had been thinking, that I need to give myself time between finishing work and really embarking on major changes. However, on another small forum I was debating this with the ladies and several of them said, 'oooh, I know you like gardening but think what it will be like in ten years when you are 65'. I am going to pop over there and tell them about your cool gardening mother.:D

Bugslet as Man of Leisure also said, ignore them! They are wrong on so many levels. I as you know work in mental health, I was worried about my Mum doing too much, and had a good chat with one of my Consultant Psychiatrist colleagues about it - he has a mother around the same age.

The relevant part of the discussion was never stop or try to stop anyone doing anything that they enjoy.

Just help them do it safely. So I got Mum some step ladders with a platform for stability instead of the "normal" A frame ones so she can get up a height, hedge trimmer with a long arm for reach and a smaller electric lawn mower so not as heavy. I pay for a chap to come three times a year to do the tops of the hedges at just over six foot tall about £30-40 a time. I do the tip runs.

One of the theories about lifespan of men vs women is to simplify it, men retire and do less, women retire and do the same or more. It is the doing- housework, gardening, the doing things, cooking, shopping, hobbies like crafts that make the mind work that helps. Also the social side of things, chatting to strangers in shops, having coffee with friends, exercising dogs, joining groups such as dancing, keep fit and the like that broaden social circle and keeping up with family that counts. These are all female dominated activities on the whole, men tend to treat retirement as a long holiday on the whole and lose the routine.

The loss of a routine or purpose however loose and varied it is, is what leads to arm chair sitting and decline. Although there are exceptions that is what they are exceptions and of course the physical can interfere.

So we encourage Mum when she says I'm going to try.......... She can be hard to catch when the weather is warm and around Christmas for all of he "do's and parties" she goes to as part of her activities. She has a far wider social circle now Dad has died because she can and does please herself.

If you want to buy your ideal home do so, I love our home, on paper with what needs doing to it and the large garden we'd never take it on now- on paper if we were sensible we'd end up with a modern box, safe, little work but so dull in comparison, at least we have to think, plan and work on it. Plenty to keep us going for years!
  • crv1963
    Take no heed of them :). I'll be 63 this year and can honestly say that gardening is less of a physical chore to me now, than it was when I retired 8 years ago :).

I can honestly say Mum is in her garden doing something almost every day of the year, in the warm weather this can be from breakfast to supper time some days! She is planting trees and bushes that will mature a long time in the future but enjoys it so much.

She only asks for help with the heavy or high things. We either pay ad hoc for assistance, I help her or a nice young neighbor helps her. In return for his help she has been helping him with plants, the odd knitted garment for his young son or on the odd occasion payment for decorating.

The beauty of retirement is you have the time to pace yourself as it doesn't need doing before work on Monday or the next shift- the task is the next shift!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback