50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Did you hear much about 'Brexit' whilst in the Netherlands? Just curious about their take on the situation :).

From what I gather they seem to think our politicians are as 'mad as a box of frogs' and should sort things out more promptly :).
    Pleased to see you're recovering well.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    From what I gather they seem to think our politicians are as 'mad as a box of frogs' and should sort things out more promptly :).

They might be right :)
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

Been a bit busy lately so here is my December payday update!

Spending- My weakness! But kept myself in check after my overspending for Christmas presents. Stayed inside my overall budget this month for food, fuel and work expenses. Still a work in progress though as I know I can do better.

We've agreed to start buying Christmas presents that are on special offer or in sales for next December, as most we buy for are into Gin and Spiced Rum we should manage okay.

Cat needed dental work so best part of £800 gone west but at least she is comfortable now.

Diabetic dog food and allergy food for the Lab means their combined food spend cat and dogs actually exceeds mine and Mrs CRVs!

Saving- £50 put away and not touched. Not going to change the world but a drip to start the river of savings! Have reviewed our savings/ pensions etc and I have booked lots of overtime for my annual leave weeks as I have realised that with careful planning I can wangle 9 weeks leave a year and work 4 or 5 shifts extra in some of those weeks.

The overtime can free money to pay down debt, buy presents and save into Mrs CRV pension. I'm going to post a question on the pensions board about the best way forward with Mrs CRV pension.

Sorting- Kept the conservatory clear, the spare bedroom clear and the kitchen is still not a mess/ dumping ground! Have plans this week to do some gardening and start clearing the wardrobes out. I am sure I do not need 28 jumpers and 30 work shirts!

I am going to clear some of the loft out, I have nice books up there but haven't looked at them for 10 years so they can go to the charity shop for someone else to store = oops enjoy!

Other News- Been really busy with work- I've picked up a few extra shifts and with my nerdish interest in what is happening with Brexit and UK politics has cut down my ability to grab more than a brief time on here.

I am on a fortnight holiday so taking this week off no shifts, the next week I am working 5 extras, taking me to a total of 8 extra in February and a further 8 booked for March. Not exactly a second income stream in the FIRE sense but I can't self earn through additional ideas the same income. I think that there is something to be said to staying in your skill set.

Mrs CRV has decided to go the other way, from her next off duty she will drop 2 shifts over a 4 week period so she no longer has to work 3 nights in a row but has a total of 12 shifts over 4 weeks, this may seem odd as I am then taking extra shifts but I earn a lot more hourly and it means our priorities of building her pension up and our diabetic dog has someone with her as much as possible can be met.

My mother is 80 on 1st February so we as a family have clubbed together for her present, my youngest is staying the full weekend with her, we're out for lunch on her birthday then for a meal on the evening the next day as a family- it would have been her 45th wedding anniversary so she is not alone with her thoughts that day.

Simple Pleasure- Enjoyed a Malt Whisky when Mrs CRV went to work, have been told that a long drink of Lemon Cello with lemonade is a real pleasure so am going to get some next payday and try it out.

Have a great day!

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • crv1963
    Options
    Well I've truly set myself a challenge! I've requested to join the Mortgage Free in Three board with the aim of getting our mortgage down from 85k to 50k over three years and at the same time to try to build Mrs CRV pension pot by almost 1k per month.

Going to have to tighten my belt and have a few years working/ saving hard with the long term aim of freedom to retire when Mrs CRV is 55 and I shall be 58 and a half!

It will be slow going at first, hoping to get into serious saving from April payday, the same month as her birthday and the start of the new tax year.

I've felt that I've drifted off track with my avid brexit watching, so I'm going to take a step back from that and look at things I can control rather than look at a bunch of wanabees playing games in Westminster.
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CRV, you are not alone :) - I've also been spending rather too much time following proceedings at Westminster - tomorrow will be interesting .....

Staying focused to achieve one's goals isn't always easy, but keep plodding on as it will all be worth it :).
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    Enjoy your time off CRV :).
  • crv1963
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    CRV, you are not alone :) - I've also been spending rather too much time following proceedings at Westminster - tomorrow will be interesting .....

Yes I am going to be watching with interest todays events!:)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not, I'd rather there was a news black out until they make their minds up and just let us know on March 29th what they've decided!

Good luck with the challenges, it'll definitely keep you on the straight and narrow!

As for feeding pets.....I'm sure I spend more on their food than I do on mine. I have the world's pickiest Giant Schnauzer - aaargh! And I might be getting a second hand Old EnglishSheepdog/ Newfoundland X at the weekend. I'm sure that will survive on crumbs:eek:
  • crv1963
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I'm not, I'd rather there was a news black out until they make their minds up and just let us know on March 29th what they've decided!

Good luck with the challenges, it'll definitely keep you on the straight and narrow!

As for feeding pets.....I'm sure I spend more on their food than I do on mine. I have the world's pickiest Giant Schnauzer - aaargh! And I might be getting a second hand Old EnglishSheepdog/ Newfoundland X at the weekend. I'm sure that will survive on crumbs:eek:

Hi bugslet

I think you're in the majority of the population with brexit, certainly Mrs CRV is firmly in your camp there!

The point of the challenges is really to keep my from going too far off track, I did go off and buy a new hoover yesterday being fed up with the challenge of our old one vs Labrador dog hairs, the Collie doesn't do bad on hair but on mud.............

Both of our dogs were secondhand, the cat arrived 12 years ago and still is here having first moved into the greenhouse and then the conservatory and now my lap. Since having her teeth out she refuses supermarket own brand food and will only eat either fresh prawns or premium luxury food that looks better than my cooking!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    And like fools we pander to their every whim!

I think it's good to set a challenge, otherwise we have no parameters. I have vinyl flooring and it's recommended that you don't Hoover, so I have a brush. Very cheap to run! Heidi the Spitz moults profusely, it's like tumbleweed blowing through the house:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback