NEW TRS Requirement ebay USA

Ok this is in the USA at the moment, NOT the UK but it sort of shows where ebay are going in the future and how they see their site, so may eventually be rolled out here as well.

From 1st June to retain the TRS discount sellers must ship within 1 day (we already have that of course) plus offer FREE returns for 30 days. That is really unusual in the US, whilst we have a number of sites that do free returns, it is not something common there, in fact until recently they were still allowed to charge a re stocking fee on returns. Many US sellers are very unhappy.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    Many US sellers are very unhappy.
    Nothing new there then;) I saw a near riot in the US at an Ebay conference shortly after they removed sellers' ability to leave negative feedback for buyers.

I saw something about this a while ago. I think it's something Amazon are doing/have done there too. Interesting that companies are giving out more consumer rights when the government there is walking some of them back.

I don't often deal in products that would be prone to being returned but if you're a professional seller then it's becoming increasingly standard to offer at least a 14 day return. I could probably offer 180 day return and it would make no difference to me.

I can see how it could be a problem with clothing sellers but there are many examples of businesses in the clothing trade who do well out of offering returns.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    Nothing new there then;) I saw a near riot in the US at an Ebay conference shortly after they removed sellers' ability to leave negative feedback for buyers.

I saw something about this a while ago. I think it's something Amazon are doing/have done there too. Interesting that companies are giving out more consumer rights when the government there is walking some of them back.

I don't often deal in products that would be prone to being returned but if you're a professional seller then it's becoming increasingly standard to offer at least a 14 day return. I could probably offer 180 day return and it would make no difference to me.

I can see how it could be a problem with clothing sellers but there are many examples of businesses in the clothing trade who do well out of offering returns.

I'm happy to offer change of mind returns, I think my objection is to having to pay the return postage. I can imagine that clothes sellers particularly will be badly hit with people buying half a dozen things from different sellers and returning all but one- and those sellers racking up huge return costs. The other issue they are raising is about providing return labels, in many US states ebay have a system with couriers and mail places that offer hugely discounted prices. However, the labels are time limited (like ours many have to be logged in the system the day of printing) and automatically picked up from the ebay listing addresses, there are suggestions that they will have to refund the full going rate of a return label so the buyer can buy it themselves, which can cost nearly twice as much as the outgoing postage.

One of the groups I read is crowd funding to send some members to 'ebay live' shortly. They are asking for small donations and have a list of people happy to go and represent the group , I was tempted to give a few dollars myself!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    One of the groups I read is crowd funding to send some members to 'ebay live' shortly. They are asking for small donations and have a list of people happy to go and represent the group , I was tempted to give a few dollars myself!
    It was the last official Ebay Live that I went to. The angry sellers were the main reason they stopped it, prior to that it had been high fives all round apparently. I can't see any Ebay rep giving in to an ambush by sellers.

What is the difference if they don't have TRS in the US?

It's always seemed like it was relatively easy to get TRS, perhaps they should throw in another tier after TRS for super sellers. That way the existing TRS wouldn't lose anything and they could give advantage to anyone who could offer the extra services.
  • soolin
    RFW wrote: »
    It was the last official Ebay Live that I went to. The angry sellers were the main reason they stopped it, prior to that it had been high fives all round apparently. I can't see any Ebay rep giving in to an ambush by sellers.

What is the difference if they don't have TRS in the US?

It's always seemed like it was relatively easy to get TRS, perhaps they should throw in another tier after TRS for super sellers. That way the existing TRS wouldn't lose anything and they could give advantage to anyone who could offer the extra services.

I think they only get the10% discount like us, but most seem to think the higher visibility does work.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I think they only get the10% discount like us, but most seem to think the higher visibility does work.

Higher visibility ??? I have lost count of the number of calls I've made to eBay trying to work out why some of my listings aren't visible despite being a TRS and offering premium service.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • soolin
    Higher visibility ??? I have lost count of the number of calls I've made to eBay trying to work out why some of my listings aren't visible despite being a TRS and offering premium service.

Mine does seem to work sporadically. Due to work and an excessive number of short breaks I switch to a 3 day dispatch quite often which loses my TRS visibility. When I do that my sales drop like a stone, I barely sell anything. Within 24 hours of switching back to a 1 day dispatch my sales start up again.

Obviously that could just be buyers filtering by speed of estimated delivery, but in many cases my items are fairly unique so if they don't buy from me then they don't buy at all. However, if I do a clean search my stuff is often ranked below sellers with no TRS, or poor feedback or even from overseas - so something must be wrong somewhere.

Generally though there has been a downturn in sales in the last few months. Add to that the fact that the summer is traditionally a slow period for me and I suspect I'll be merely ticking over for a few months now.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I also appear well below non TRS sellers, and to make matters worse, some of my listings display the "new and used" logo, and when you click on that it takes you to a competitor's listing !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • RFW
    I barely sell stuff on Ebay so I'm not really bothered with TRS and discounts. I have a few lines on there that sell quite well and steadily, I've popped in and out of being TRS, mostly due to sales and a few late despatch marks.

My visibility goes up and down without me doing anything. There are peaks and troughs of sales. It's a constant problem/fight on Ebay and the main reason I gave up selling on there. There's a minimal chance of setting up a brand and developing it with new products, certainly compared to Amazon.

Amazon still has fluctuating sales and occasional visibility issues but there is a definite pattern to it and it's relatively easy to work out what's going on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure