Money Moral Dilemma: My colleague is paid more to do the same job - what should I do?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I just discovered my colleague is paid almost £5,000/yr more than me, yet we do exactly the same job and have similar levels of experience. Should I speak up?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This happens all the time and could be for a number of reasons. It's worth a mention in your next 121. You could get lucky!
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I would suggest you take the approach of why you deserve to be paid the same, and focus on your contributions, skills and work ethic etc, rather than any perceived unfairness in the pay deficit.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Wouldn't this MMD be more appropriate to the Employment board...?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This so-called "dilemma" frequently crops up on the Employment Board. Speak up if you want but unless there is clearly discrimination (as defined in employment law) the employer does not have to pay the same wage for the same job.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    After 5 years in my previous job I got paid more than anyone in my department despite being one of the newest recruits.

We had performance related pay - to go up an increment you had to outperform. I did this 5 years running and no one else had more than 1 year of outperforming during that time so I got a raise of £1500 every year.

There may be a reason they are paid more.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Maybe the colleague was a better negotiator when they got the job.

Who knows.

All you can do is ask for a raise.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mote suited for the employment board.
  • kazt2006
    kazt2006 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Yes you have the right to be paid an equal basic salary for the same role or at the very least in the same banding / grade.

You may find that your colleague has a recruitment and rentention allowance. These are at the employers discretion on an individual basis either when employees start a new job or because they found another position and the employer wanted to keep this person. To use this though, you!!!8217;d need a credible alternative.

Or as Cyantist said it could be as a result of PRP.

I once got screwed on the salary for a job - 2 jobs advertised, 1 with salary £3k higher than the other. Found out afterwards we!!!8217;d gone after the same job so they averaged the starting salaries. Hasn!!!8217;t happened since, as now I have clear expectations within the range offered and if an future potential employer doesn!!!8217;t meet that, I walk away!
  • File a court case under Equality Pay Act
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Maybe if the author of this MMD needs to ask advice about this rather than finding out for him/herself and doing something about it - they don't deserve to be paid as much as the other employee...
    Just a thought...:D :whistle:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport