Superfast fibre to the box, then copper to the house?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mister_G wrote: »
    If you put your phone number into this

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

it will tell you your estimated VDSL speed (FTTC) - Downstream line speed.

You will also see the estimate of your current ADSL speed.

That only works if you're already with BT, otherwise you need to use the address checker which is less accurate but still near enough.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In my village ADSL would get me 0.1. FTTC gets me 60 (you might want to pay cheaper for the 40 capped one).
  • *j*
    *j* Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    In my village ADSL would get me 0.1. FTTC gets me 60 (you might want to pay cheaper for the 40 capped one).

Yes that's one of the prices we pay for living in the relative middle of nowhere, about 25 miles from central London. Together with no noise from busses going past, no disturbance from street lights, frequent power cuts, no disturbance from the postman until well after lunch, no reliable cellphone signal, no police and a long wait for an ambulance should the need arise.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to make those sacrifices until perhaps I need the ambulance.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    *j* wrote: »
    I live about 6km from the exchange and used to get about 1Mb/s on ADSL, but when fibre arrived it went up to 30 Mb/s.

The speed is meant to be about 38Mb/s at the cabinet, so the 700 metres of copper from the cabinet to home is what reduces the speed to 30Mb/s.

Your speed on fibre will be determined almost exclusively by your distance from the cabinet. How far is that?

It's worth point out that isn't correct. Fibre optic cable does not loose speed over length and the speed at the cabinet (from what i have read) is usually 10 Gb/s to allow enough bandwidth for all the connections.

There is a table on this page that shows the loss of speed due to length of copper cable and this applies to every cabinet with fibre:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftth-broadband-guide
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    If you are provisioned under the BBUK scheme, E. G. you have an EO line and they install a cab outside the exchange to connect you, you are only supplied with a maximum data rate of 30Mb. You might connect at a faster rate but data transfer will be limited to 30Mb.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    *j* wrote: »
    no disturbance from the postman until well after lunch, no police and a long wait for an ambulance should the need arise.

These days, you can expect all of these in major cities as well.
  • steve_blake1490667
    steve_blake1490667 Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2018 at 8:30PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If you are provisioned under the BBUK scheme, E. G. you have an EO line and they install a cab outside the exchange to connect you, you are only supplied with a maximum data rate of 30Mb. You might connect at a faster rate but data transfer will be limited to 30Mb.
    What?! Not sure where you heard this from but its utter rubbish. Regardless of whether your FTTC cab is funded by BDUK or not, or whether its located outside the exchange or not, Openreach will NOT limit speeds to 30 Mbps on FTTC under normal line conditions. Your actual speeds on FTTC will be close to the modem sync rate which largely depends on how far you are from the FTTC cabinet (ie length of copper involved).

I suspect you might referring to 'banding' on FTTC in which the FTTC DLM artificially puts a speed cap on a FTTC line (eg 30/40/50/60 Mbps etc) which will be capable of much higher speeds. Banding can be extremely difficult to remove, however this can occur on any FTTC line, not just those on ex-EO lines or BDUK funded cabs.
  • unforeseen
    What?! Not sure where you heard this from but its utter rubbish. Regardless of whether your FTTC cab is funded by BDUK or not, or whether its located outside the exchange or not, Openreach will NOT limit speeds to 30 Mbps on FTTC under normal line conditions. Your actual speeds on FTTC will be close to the modem sync rate which largely depends on how far you are from the FTTC cabinet (ie length of copper involved).

I suspect you might referring to 'banding' on FTTC in which the FTTC DLM artificially puts a speed cap on a FTTC line (eg 30/40/50/60 Mbps etc) which will be capable of much higher speeds. Banding can be extremely difficult to remove, however this can occur on any FTTC line, not just those on ex-EO lines or BDUK funded cabs.

In which case Connecting Cheshire who were responsible for my connection lied to me when they said they would only provision 30Mb.

However, being 500yds from the exchange I can only get 29-30Mb and ISPs I asked when FTTC became available told me that I could only get up to 30Mb.

Its not a line quality problem because I had the full 8Mb on ADSL.
  • steve_blake1490667
    steve_blake1490667 Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2018 at 9:47PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    In which case Connecting Cheshire who were responsible for my connection lied to me when they said they would only provision 30Mb.

However, being 500yds from the exchange I can only get 29-30Mb and ISPs I asked when FTTC became available told me that I could only get up to 30Mb.

Its not a line quality problem because I had the full 8Mb on ADSL.

Its Openreach who supply the FTTC service through your ISP - not 'Connecting Cheshire' who I suspect are just your local BDUK authority. Openreach offer just 2 download speed tiers on FTTC - up to 40 Mbps or 80 Mbps- what speeds you actually get are determined by which package you've paid for and the clever DLM residing inside the FTTC cabinet.
  • unforeseen
    I realise BT do it (as part of BDUK ). However EVERY ISP reports that I can only get up to 35Mb on my line.

Since I was told by the consortium that I would only be enabled for 30MB then it is obvious that the DLM system in the cabinet that they have installed outside the exchange has been set to only allow that as a maximum speed.

It is not only me. Other households who had to wait for the EO solution in our village were told the same and have the same speed limitation. This must have been a conscious decision by BDUK for some reason.

Closeness of the cab to the exchange maybe? I know the kit can not be IN the exchange due to interference. My cab is literally the other side of the building wall to the exchange equipment due to space constraints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure