Retierment income

Options
Hi All.
I am retiring next month and will have around 1k/month income from my pension.
I have downsized my home and have around £200k capital from that and another £40k pension lump sum.
I would like to supplement the 1k income as much as possible from interest while retaining the majority of the capital.
I would like around 20-30k to be available at short notice but am happy to tie up the rest of the capital for 1-2 years at a time.

My current plan is to put 20k in a 2 year cash isa (1.7%) and have 3x 1 year fixed rates (around 2%) with 65k in each, leaving the rest in a 1.3% easy access account.

Bearing in mind I am fairly risk adverse, does this sound like a good plan ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perfectly reasonable if you do not want to invest. However, I would suggest a bond ladder for the 3 x fixed rates. Do one for 1 year, another for 2 years, a third for 3 years so that you get better rates. Although you may want to hold off a little to see what interest rates do later this year.

You will get more in the medium/long term (5 years plus) if you go for S&S ISAs or similar however.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you think you'll have time on your hands you'll do much better with as many High Interest current accounts feeding monthly regular savers as you can get your hands on. That said, once everything is set up it takes little time to maintain. While you'll not get all your available cash into such accounts, what you do will do much better interest-wise than you're getting above.

See the Top Savings Accounts link at the top of this page to get started.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

It seems you are quite accepting of risks which could be greater than a sensible investment risk. e.g. inflation risk and shortfall risk.

You dont say how old you are but if in your early 60s, you could live another 30 years. £100k in will be worth around £60k in 10 years. time. So, ignoring investments to focus only on cash is actaully quite risky. Especially where income is involved.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • OldMusicGuy
    edited 12 July 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You dont say how old you are but if in your early 60s, you could live another 30 years. £100k in will be worth around £60k in 10 years. time. So, ignoring investments to focus only on cash is actaully quite risky. Especially where income is involved.
    You seem to be assuming a pretty high rate of inflation there. You also seem to be ignoring the interest that could be gained on cash. I am getting an average rate of 1.8% right now so assuming that inflation is 3%, that's only a -1.2% nominal decline. As you know, I think it's possible to control personal inflation rates so I have risk free growth of 1.8%.

OP, don't believe that you have to invest if you are risk averse. You will definitely have the potential to gain more over the medium to long term but there will be more risk.

Personally, as a very risk averse person, I would split the money. Put some in a bond ladder but also invest some in S&S ISAs, investment trusts or similar. That way you get the best of both worlds. However, you need to have some clear objectives about how you will use the money. If you plan on spending it in the short/medium term your strategy makes sense, if you are going to have some of it for the medium/long term it would make more sense to invest some of it.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Hi All.
    I am retiring next month and will have around 1k/month income from my pension.
    I have downsized my home and have around £200k capital from that and another £40k pension lump sum.
    I would like to supplement the 1k income as much as possible from interest while retaining the majority of the capital.
    I would like around 20-30k to be available at short notice but am happy to tie up the rest of the capital for 1-2 years at a time.
    So of the £240k you need less than £40k available on short notice (fair enough), but the remaining two hundred thousand pounds can only be tied up for 1-2 years at a time?

Given you have already downsized and retired, what sort of life event are you envisaging or planning for which will require access to two hundred thousand quid within the next year or two, such that your only options are cash deposits?
    Are you just going to be renewing those short term cash deposits at a rate worse than inflation (and spending the interest) for the next thirty years?

If so, then no, it sounds like a poor plan, giving you considerably reduced wealth in the long term compared to investing your money properly rather than saving it in a rolling one-to-two year rainy day fund. Unless you can describe what rainy day will need two hundred grand spent on it next year.

See an independent financial adviser - it costs money, but it would be money well spent to find out the options for making your money work for you (assuming you don't fully understand investment products).
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    What options do you have with your pension? Can you forgo the lump sum, or take a smaller one, to get a higher annual amount? Or defer the pension to get a larger one later?

Given you don't need a £40k lump sum right now, nor £1k a month coming in, because you already have £200k in a bank account that you don't know what to do with it other than putting it in a deposit earning less than inflation. For a risk averse person, the concept of getting higher annual fixed payments for life might be a very attractive option, and effectively getting more investment growth over the coming decades than if you just took the money and stuffed it in your rainy day fund.
  • HappiestByTheSea
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I am already taking the minimum lump sum with the pension, I would take less if I could to increase the
    monthly income. I am 52 btw.

I guess, now that its put to me, I could tie most of the cash up for a longer period, I had thought however that interest rates are expected to rise fairly soon so I hadn't wanted to be tied into a relatively poor rate for an extended period.

I do have some plans to purchase a camper and/or a small boat as my new property is right next to a marina so I would need access to at least some of it.

The pension arrangements are already made so I have little flexibility there.

My understanding of financial products is indeed probably very basic so I think the IFA option is probably a good one - I just know howvere that if there are risks that capital might be lost I wouldn't sleep well during my retirement !

Thanks again
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I am already taking the minimum lump sum with the pension, I would take less if I could to increase the
    monthly income. I am 52 btw.

I guess, now that its put to me, I could tie most of the cash up for a longer period, I had thought however that interest rates are expected to rise fairly soon so I hadn't wanted to be tied into a relatively poor rate for an extended period.

I do have some plans to purchase a camper and/or a small boat as my new property is right next to a marina so I would need access to at least some of it.

The pension arrangements are already made so I have little flexibility there.

My understanding of financial products is indeed probably very basic so I think the IFA option is probably a good one - I just know howvere that if there are risks that capital might be lost I wouldn't sleep well during my retirement !

Thanks again

There's nothing wrong with being conservative and putting your money into safe interest bearing accounts as long as you have dome the maths and you are certain that it will provide you with sufficient retirement income.

You need to see if 12k/year pension around 2% interest from your 240k and eventually state pension (maybe another 12k or 13k/year by the time you take it) allow you to live as you plan. You can always spend down some of the 240k, but that has to be done carefully. As interest rates go up you''l see higher returns, but your plan is very sensitive to inflation as you are ignoring the potentially greater returns of an equity and bond portfolio.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    The most important thing is to define a retirement strategy that lets you sleep at night! However, I suggest you do some reading about investing in things like multi-asset equity/bond funds. You don't have any risk of "losing" capital, unlike some investments. What you risk is the value of your investment falling because the unit price falls in an economic downturn. But the good news is that you still have all those units (as long as you don't chicken out and sell them at a loss), so when the economy recovers and the unit price goes back up (which it inevitably does), you get all your money back and more.

Talking with a genuinely independent financial advisor may be a good idea.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2018 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Capital is meant to bring you feelings of comfort and security. So don't cost yourself sleep.

However, what if you decided to trickle money into a Stocks and Shares ISA? That would be far less risky than suddenly investing a huge lump sum. If you were to subscribe, say, £500 p.m. for, say, 10 years then you might end up having somewhere about one quarter of your capital in S&S which might be quite enough for a risk-averse person. You could even set yourself a limit of 25% and stop the subscriptions when you've reached it. If you still shiver at the thought of the risk consider using that old-fashioned thing a "With Profits" ISA, where the effort is made to even out the ups and downs of the stock markets. Foresters Friendly Society offer one - there may well be others available.
    https://www.forestersfriendlysociety.co.uk/saving-investing/stocks-shares-nisa/at-a-glance/

People here will mock the idea - "obsolete", they will shout, "expensive", boo, hiss ... Ignore them: if the charges on a With Profits investment are what must be paid to give you the confidence to slowly move a fraction of your capital into stocks and shares it may well be a cost worth paying.

As for the £240k, I hope you understand that it would be safest to spread it over a number of institutions that have separate banking licences. Apart from short grace periods involving big lifetime events, your deposits are covered by a guarantee up to only £85k per banking licence. One way round this is to make plenty of use of ns&i (previously known as National Savings and Investments) where they have a much bigger direct guarantee from HM Treasury.

For example you could put £50k into ns&i's Premium Bonds - the prize fund pays 1.4% p.a. of which around 1.25% p.a. would reach you as a roughly even flow of small monthly prizes and the other 0.15% goes on the bigger prizes which you might win (but very likely won't). All the prizes are tax-free.

You could open a 123 current account at Santander, put in £20k, and transfer the Direct Debits for your bills to that account. You'll get 1.5% p.a. and a cash back on the bills. For this they will charge you £5 (or thereabouts) per month. You'll be handsomely in pocket. You could also open their monthly saver that pays 5% AER interest. These interest payments are taxable but in your position of having a modest annual income there will be no tax to pay.

Then you'd open savings accounts elsewhere, some instant access, some notice accounts perhaps, some fixed term. Just make sure that you don't have more than £85k with any one bank (or building society), or any one group of banks that share one banking licence.

The idea of a "ladder" of fixed term accounts advanced above might suit you well. For example, after your PBs and Santander account are set up you'll have about £170k to spread about at less than £85k per institution. Quite easily done.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • LobsterMemory
    Options
    First of all, each to their own and I have no idea on OP's circumstances or what it's like to live outside of London but isn't 52 a bit young to be setting off living on £16k a year (some of which will surely be taxable) for the next 13 years before the state pension ups it a bit?

And if going for a camper or boat, aren't there going to be mooring fees & running costs eating quite heavily into that?

It sounds idyllic but seems to me to need a bit more cash than what's being suggested. If I'm wrong, let me know and I might do the same in a few years!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure