Search on credit file

Hi all. I noticed that last summer Klarna conducted searches on my credit file. I rang them and they were vague except they asked me if I purchased a new mattress around that time which I did but I paid in full when I ordered it. They advised me to contact the company I purchased from which was Tempur. Tempur said they seemed to do a credit check even if you pay in full.
My understanding is that I need to give permission for a credit check to be conducted and I'm sorry if this seems disproportionate to others but I'm absolutely fuming that they have had the audacity to do this.
Any advice (or enlightenment?)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Check what you signed. You'll have agreed to it at some point.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As above, you'll need to check the terms of sale. It's likely that in there somewhere you gave permission for the credit check, even if it wasn't strictly needed since you paid in full. Once you've done that, I'd probably submit a formal complaint anyway to ask them to remove it - worst case is they say no and you stay where you are now. That said, a single hard search won't really mess up your credit files for all that long anyway, so it probably doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm absolutely fuming that they have had the audacity to do this.

I would chillllllll out. As the search was last summer I doubt it has made any impact on your life.

I have many searches on my file, mainly car insurers when I get quotes and stuff like that, and I feel fine.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 24 January 2020 at 7:14PM
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to give permission for an organisation to carry out a credit check on you. ICO "guidance" allows checks to be carried out if there's a reasonable justification for doing so. Of course, the ICO being a somewhat f-less body, there's no precise definition of what constitutes a reasonable justification. However, buying a mattress and paying for it up front would almost certainly not be a reasonable justification.

OP, check what you signed. Did you furnish these chancers with unnecessary data such as date of birth? In theory a credit check can't be carried out without this data, but there again, if a check is requested without a DoB, the CRAs will just guess at the identity of the individual and carry on regardless.

Complain to the company who carried out the rogue check. You should definitely not have been subjected to this check (BTW, was it a hard search or a soft search?). Once you've got their response, contact the ICO and explain what's happened. Even if the chancers offer you compo, still raise a complaint with the ICO.

Edit - you've really got to laugh at this forum and the people who run it. The word above that I've had to edit down to f-less was 'f e c k l e s s'. Yo couldn't make it up!
  • Can you please explain 'hard' search? To those who say it doesn't mattter, it's not the end of the world but I believe financial institutions need to be kept in check ( I used to work in banking). Give an inch......... It is my financial record. I didn't sign anything. I telephoned them, said I wanted to buy X, paid for it on my card, it was delivered. Nobody has the right or the need to check my creditworthiness when they processed my payment well before delivery. I have a squeaky clean credit rating and I object to a Scandinavian bank seeking financial information about me. End of rant!
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    is it a hard search or soft search. What type of check, it could be an ID check.
  • Rather than posting to strangers on the internet who perhaps don't work in banking or Klarna or at the bed company.

You have a credit search on your file. Klarna done this. You write to Klarna and ask them to remove the search. The credit bureau will do what Klarna asks. This is because Klarna done the search.

THE END.
  • sambaird
    sambaird Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Copied Directly from the Terms and Conditions on the Tempur website:

1.1 These Terms and Conditions apply to your access and use of the Website and/or to any order you place through the Website or by phone or instore. By: clicking the “I ACCEPT” button on the Website to accept these Terms and Conditions; accessing or using the Website; placing an order with us through the Website; and/or confirming, whether by email, post or phone, or in person that you accept these Terms and Conditions, you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and enter into a contract with Tempur UK Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, whose registered number is 02748033 and whose registered office is at Caxton Point, Printing House Lane, Hayes, Middlesex UB3 1AP. If you do not accept these Terms and Conditions, you should not click “I ACCEPT” or access or use the Website or place an order with us through the Website or by phone or instore.

So, it looks like by placing an order by phone, you automatically accepted the full terms and conditions. I didn’t read any further than this, so can only assume that they include provisions for credit checking further below. So, clearly no signature required...

In the future, if you are that concerned about companies checking your file and having a subsequent rant... read their full terms and conditions first BEFORE placing an order.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can you please explain 'hard' search? To those who say it doesn't mattter, it's not the end of the world but I believe financial institutions need to be kept in check ( I used to work in banking). Give an inch......... It is my financial record. I didn't sign anything. I telephoned them, said I wanted to buy X, paid for it on my card, it was delivered. Nobody has the right or the need to check my creditworthiness when they processed my payment well before delivery. I have a squeaky clean credit rating and I object to a Scandinavian bank seeking financial information about me. End of rant!

You must mean credit history right ?
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It looks like Tempur use Hitachi Personal Finance NOT Klarna. As others have said if it bothers you that much speak to Klarna.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure