Volunteering abroad - workaway?

https://www.workaway.info/

Anyone used this site to do volunteering before? Been to Nepal and love the place, and after my next trekking adventure there next year or maybe the year after, I was looking at doing a week or 2 volunteering work while out there. This site seems really helpful in connecting you with people that need help, in return for food and a bed

Anyone used it?

Comments

• uk_american
    uk_american Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2019 at 4:05PM
    I have used it three times, all positive experiences. I was a language helper in different language schools in Poland. The students were immensely happy to practice their English with a native speaker so it was a lovely volunteering experience for me.

In my opinion the website is easy to use and it's helpful as you can review what others have said about the hosts. Also your hosts can leave you reviews which helps you to find further gigs and gives them some insight into you via your profile.

It was worth it for me to buy a membership as it gave me access to places that only recruit via workaway. Also, one of the schools was happy to be a reference for me on a job application, so it was really beneficial for me.

For a volunteer, as long as you read the profile thoroughly and are clear in their expectations, it's perfect. Just take the time to make a thorough profile and be clear if you have special requirements or dietary needs.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good to hear you had positive experiences. Have far in advance did you contact the host? Is it something where they like to "book you in" months before you visit?
  • Booking times depend on the host, the role and the local culture.

Some of the really popular ones are booked months in advance, especially during university holidays when students are using them. Others are completely last minute especially if it's something where they have a lot of work such as renovations.

As I was booking flights from the UK to Poland, I booked my trips around 6-8 weeks in advance. Also, it was the nature of the school roles, they liked to have people booked in that far in advance to plan their lessons.

Some of the 'workawayers' that I met were students from Oz on a gap year, keeping down the costs via workaway. They would book with a host, often if they and the host liked each other they would extend. Then they'd look at the map, choose their next city and line up some hosts there. They rarely paid for a hostel.

Interesting enough I met a number of pensioners on it as well. They are retired, bored at home, wanting to experience another culture so off they go.

For a lot of the gigs, people say it 'doesn't feel like work' and it's true. Most ask for 5 hours work for 5 days and then 2 days off. They recognise you're also there to see the local area too. As long as you're polite, punctual and reasonably competent at what you've been asked to do, I've found all of my hosts to be very accommodating in making sure that I was happy and taking me out to see their local historical sites as that was my interest area.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nice one cheers. Yea its something i will certainly be contacting a host in Kathmandu nearer the time if i can make the dates work. I noticed alot dont expect alot of work out of you, think some are happy to have an English speaker over and someone they can practice and learn off
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2019 at 12:02PM
    Interesting enough I met a number of pensioners on it as well. They are retired, bored at home, wanting to experience another culture so off they go.

We are such people and I'm thinking of trying this out for long stays.

Do you have any general tips ?

My initial thoughts are:
    Last minute changes:

1.what if the host suddenly decides at the last minute not to want you?

Disagree
    2 If either party doesn't like it, I assume you just walk away?

Work permit
    Would I need a work permit?

Lots of more questions TBHO.

Thanks
  • blindman wrote: »
    Do you have any general tips ?
    Definitely read the feedback ratings, you can tell a lot about a host and the job by what the workawayers say in their reviews and how the host writes about the workawayers.

Also, if you're in the review section, check out the profiles of the workawayers who left feedback on experiences that interest you. If I read a profile of someone and think they are similar to me and they enjoyed that experience...well maybe I will too.

Also, it helps to have an open mind...and to pack backup snacks. I did an experience in a remote area of Poland that said they could accommodate vegetarians. It was at a campsite, they had a campfire night and had sausages for the meat eaters. I thought I might end up with a jacket potato, but no, especially for me...foil wrapped carrots to roast. So I had salad and roasted carrots for dinner. I found it amusing but a fussy eater might have been disappointed. To be fair they stuffed me with potatoes for the remainder of my visit!

If you're an older person/couple you probably have skills developed over a lifetime that would be highly appreciated in a workaway experience. It's more of deciding what type of experience that you would enjoy.

One of the pensioners I met last time (age 72!) arrived the night prior and stayed at a youth hostel in a room of 10 bunk beds where the average age was 20 and had a grand time but asks if he could have a lower bunk due to bad knees. Me, I prefer my own room so will find an airbnb with a private room which is a 30 minute walk to town. Horses for courses and all that applies to applying to any experience.
    blindman wrote: »
    Last minute changes:

1.what if the host suddenly decides at the last minute not to want you?
    The feedback on the host's listing is critical here, if any workawayer doesn't leave 5 stars I read very closely. If someone is still an active workawayer you can send them a private message to ask more about their feedback/experience.

Although really, the problem is normally the reverse, workawayers change their plans and cancel on hosts.

To ensure no confusion, I always communicate with my hosts and ask one last time, 'I'd like to book tickets now, can you please confirm, May 1 - May 12 is still ok?' I then confirm back to them that the ticket is booked and next steps I will figure out trains or whatever to be able to give them an arrival time.

I have read in the feedback of some hosts where they had a genuine emergency like a death/hospitalisation in the family that they still worked to ensure that the workawayer had a place to stay and were not out of pocket.
    Disagree
    2 If either party doesn't like it, I assume you just walk away?

Yes. No one is legally obligated to stay somewhere where they do not want to be. Most of the negative feedback where someone leaves early or is asked to leave early is due to miscommunication.

For example, if a family specifies that they only want a non-smoker and a workawayer shows up as a smoker who expects that smoking outside is not a problem.

Or a workawayer is expecting to receive 3 meals per day and the host only provides meals on working days, again miscommunication.

Also, as a single female, I only look for roles with female or family situations, not single males. Nothing against such hosts but I want to put myself in a situation where I will be comfortable.
    Work permit
    Would I need a work permit?
    Thanks

It depends on the country, check the rules. Usually EU countries are generally ok for UK people since no one asks us any questions in most EU countries, but who knows if/after Brexit. Or if you're going further afield, check their local rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure