Gut feeling I paid off my mortgage but I am still paying!

Comments

• d4rr3n
    d4rr3n Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    need more details because something looks wrong at the start

more accurate base rate changes
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/boeapps/database/Bank-Rate.asp

The info I gave is correct I took it straight of the original mortgage agreement.
  • d4rr3n
    BoGoF wrote: »
    OP - regardless of any BOE base rate drop your 20 year mortgage will still take you 20 years to pay off unless you paid more than your contractual monthly payment.

Not as I understand it. If your monthly repayments stays the same yet the BOE base rate drops then I am paying the loan off faster.

What you say would be correct if my monthly repayments continuously increased and decreases with base rate but thats not the case.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    d4rr3n wrote: »
    The info I gave is correct I took it straight of the original mortgage agreement.

Not if it is a base +2% tracker at the start.
  • getmore4less
    There's going to be some significant accrued interest from when you reduced the payments below the contractual ones.

What sort of mortgage was it? You said it was variable, but you also mention the base rate which suggests it was a tracker. What was it and what is it now?

No accrued interest the payments always covered that,

capital payments may have been slow for a bit but would have soon caught up

Needs the details, simple calculations with the correct data.
  • getmore4less
    Is this the let property?
  • d4rr3n
    Not if it is a base +2% tracker at the start.

The exact wording "Interest: The Bank Base Rate (varying) + 2% per annum charged quarterly in arrears"

Wondering if I can find an on-line calculator to do this, think it would churn out the answer in a few secs
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Is there a possibility - it's just a thought - that although you were sold a "Base Rate + 2%" variable rate, it is logged on the bank's computer as "Base Rate at the time + 2%" i.e. 6.75% fixed rate?

Anyway, as others have said, what does your annual statement show? Mine shows every payment, then breaks that down into how much is interest and how much capital, then gives me a running total for the capital slowly going down.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Fizzy11
    Fizzy11 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you go back to your original mortgage offer I’m convinced there will be caveat that says there will be a minimum interest rate you will pay regardless of whether the B of E Base Rate drops. This is the case for the majority of lenders but people generally don’t read all the mortgage offer paperwork.
  • d4rr3n
    Is there a possibility - it's just a thought - that although you were sold a "Base Rate + 2%" variable rate, it is logged on the bank's computer as "Base Rate at the time + 2%" i.e. 6.75% fixed rate?

Anyway, as others have said, what does your annual statement show? Mine shows every payment, then breaks that down into how much is interest and how much capital, then gives me a running total for the capital slowly going down.

It says variable in the wording of my mortgage document so I dont see why it would be fixed.

I dont get a detailed breakdown just how much is outstanding each month.

Cant find a mortgage calculator that can be backdated, would have made it easy.
  • d4rr3n
    Fizzy11 wrote: »
    If you go back to your original mortgage offer I’m convinced there will be caveat that says there will be a minimum interest rate you will pay regardless of whether the B of E Base Rate drops. This is the case for the majority of lenders but people generally don’t read all the mortgage offer paperwork.

My original mortgage agreement is one and a half A4 pages single sided. It says nothing about minimum base rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure