PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Astrac
    Astrac Posts: 12 Forumite
    Vampyr wrote: »
    I wouldn't wait more than 48h for a reply, and even that is too long really. Is this some online conveyancer rather than a local solicitor?

Thanks for the answer! I found it online, was that a mistake?
  • Vampyr
    Vampyr Posts: 58 Forumite
    Astrac wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer! I found it online, was that a mistake?

Online covenyancers are often slower. The reason they are cheaper is because they have high volumes - one person may be looking after a hundred cases, so it will take them longer to reply and the service won't be as personal as a local small solicitor. That said, online conveyancers will have good systems for tracking progress and usually will get things done behind the scenes - you just won't get much direct human interaction and it might be a bit slower especially if a non-standard problem crops up. If you've seen any of my posts you'll know that a local conveyancer doesn't exactly guarantee quality either. Most of them aren't that great in my experience.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    My timeline, buying from someone who has probate, property empty. We have been looking for nearly 3 years, this was the 48th house we actually viewed, wrote off so many after before viewing viewings, and two fell through for different reasons.

Buying:
    02/12/2017 Viewed house
    02/12/2017 Offer accepted directly with vendor who rung EA there and then
    03/12/2017 Ring L&C broker and went through details, affordability etc
    04/12/2017 Instructed solicitors
    04/12/2017 Offer in Principle Received, 3 months financial stuff emailed over proof of ID etc, then went through full mortgage interview.
    04/13/2017 EA asked for details etc, proof of finances/mortgage sent through.
    09/12/2017 Second viewing with parents and seller
    12/12/2017 Mortgage valuation done (rearranged from 11/12 due to snow)
    14/12/2017 Mortgage offer received

**Then went quiet as we were away for Christmas, sellers solicitors hadn't sent 'contact pack' to ours and no one seemed to do anything for this period.

02/01/2018 Booked full structural survey (sols hadn't even started searches)
    04/01/2018 Sol took £ for searches
    10/01/2018 EPC, Property Information Form received, Fixture fittings etc, half paperwork not filled in, sol confirm they have raised a number of queries
    11/01/2018 Full survey done
    22/01/2018 Full survey back, seller knocks £2k of price due to some roof issues
    24/01/2018 Local Authority search back, issues with lane being undaopted, sol raised enquiries regarding ownership and rights to access etc. Also need clarity on septic tank and drainage.

We are in a situation where we have the current £ to redeem our current mortgage (less than £4k remaining) however we are tied in (it was a long fix) and the earliest they will let us pay this off is 01 April. We negotiated this to before Easter and have agreed 22/03 no earlier. The new mortgage is with Barclays and they won't let the new mortgage start until our current one is paid off even though we have proof of funds and there will be less than £2k remaining when we ideally want to complete (beginning of March). So, we are stuck to 22/03.

I guess that's a good thing since there are a few queries outstanding and the seller, who is dealing with probate knows nothing and is what I'd say is like the farmers I grew up around and by his own admission 'doesnt do paperwork' so just seems to ignore everything!

It seems ages off!!
  • Vampyr- they've already given us a month and have said no more extensions.

BUT

My sol just called - my funds are being released for tomorrow and she's going to try to exchange today! Please please let this go to plan.
  • That's great CTC! Let us know what happens - best of luck!
  • Still waiting on a call from the solicitors who told us we would be exchanging Either Friday (didn't happen) or Monday at the latest and then completing on the 31st. Getting anxious now as it's 2 in the afternoon but also don't want to harass them because they are very good at getting in contact with us and I know they are probably just busy getting everything sorted. Might give it until 3 or 4 and then give them a call.

CTG- thank for you've had confirmation! It's an anxious time when youre waiting for them to confirm release of funds when exchang and completion is looming.
  • ** was meant to say 'thank goodness' not ' thank for'
  • Literally just posted that and had a call off the solicitor.

WE HAVE EXCHANGED :j
  • Have everything crossed for you here, CTC!

Sounds as though things are finally edging closer for you too, Cheery Daff!

Midwife - wonderful news.....congrats!

Everyone else - hope you get good news soon too!

Off to check out/price up stock fencing this afternoon :) It's another exciting week here - this morning we ordered a new range cooker (for a house we don't even have yet, lol!), tomorrow we're off to Wales to discuss boreholes and septic tanks, then Wednesday we're heading up north to collect our new Landy :j
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Literally just posted that and had a call off the solicitor.

WE HAVE EXCHANGED :j

Congrats woo hoo :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport