Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 7,707Posts
    • 52,595Thanks
    Gers
    Council Tax query - Scotland
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    Council Tax query - Scotland 14th Jun 19 at 4:02 PM
    Evening - I hope that someone with expertise in the area can help me please.

My elderly DM has been ill since early March, only discharged from hospital in mid-May, during which I have been staying in her house / with her. I live in a different county and will continue to maintain my own place - council tax paid for the year already.

My query is how will me staying with DM (single person discount) affect her council tax payment? Will it mean paying full rate? I may be here a while yet.

Paying full rate would not be an issue, I just want to make things kosher!

Incidentally, I have tried ringing Glasgow City Council - four times today! After each long wait I get a 'receptionist' who asks what the question is, goes off to consult, comes back to say I need to speak to an advisor and puts me on hold again. Each time I'm pre-warned of a 20-30 minute wait or I can email in though response time is 28 days!

Thanks.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Jun 19, 4:12 PM
    • 13,125 Posts
    • 14,914 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:12 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:12 PM
    If you're really just there as a temporary visitor I wouldn't worry about the council tax.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 52,595 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    If you're really just there as a temporary visitor I wouldn't worry about the council tax.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Thanks - not sure how 'temporary' my stay will be but I'll play it by ear.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 52,595 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    Tried to phone again - no joy!
    • CIS
    • By CIS 17th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    • 11,351 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    CIS
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    Thanks - not sure how 'temporary' my stay will be but I'll play it by ear.
    Originally posted by Gers

It is the point where it becomes your 'sole or main residence'. Providing you retain your own address and you intend to return to it then this property would not be your 'sole or main residence'.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 52,595 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    It is the point where it becomes your 'sole or main residence'. Providing you retain your own address and you intend to return to it then this property would not be your 'sole or main residence'.
    Originally posted by CIS
    Many thanks. That's reassuring.

Now I will have to approach them about resident parking which is in the pipeline.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,612Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter