Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fionaalison123
    • By Fionaalison123 14th Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fionaalison123
    next won't refund direct debit overpay
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    next won't refund direct debit overpay 14th Jun 19 at 8:31 AM
    Hi I recently paid off and closed my Next account . I accidentally forgot to cancel the direct debit and they were paid 50 pounds. My bank have unable to get the money back . Next are refusing to budge. What can I do to get a refund ?
Page 2
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Jun 19, 7:28 PM
    • 7,888 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    waamo
    The lack of coherent information really isn't helping here. That's why I asked for all the correspondence between the three parties. Sadly it hasn't been forthcoming.
    This space for hire.
    • bris
    • By bris 14th Jun 19, 8:52 PM
    • 8,817 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    bris
    Nationwide have no choice (or say) in the matter ... the direct debit guarantee means they (Nationwide) HAVE to give you your money back, doesn't it?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Not true, the DD guarantee can only be used when payments are made in error. You can't just get a DD back for any reason.

Next are disputing this error so don't have to give it back.

Op needs to get to the bottom of why next are holding on to this money, money that wouldn't be taken on a zero balance account.

My OH has had a next account for years and only ever take funds from the account when we are due something.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 19, 11:59 AM
    • 7,079 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to

So Next are saying the payment is due.

You need to sort it out with Next

How to complain
    https://www.next.co.uk/help/Faq/32475
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,337Posts Today

7,221Users online

Martin's Twitter