Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SJW7062
    • By SJW7062 13th Jun 19, 9:02 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SJW7062
    Responding to an Accident Management Company
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:02 PM
    Responding to an Accident Management Company 13th Jun 19 at 9:02 PM
    Hello MSE forums,

A little advice required if anyone has the time to assist.

My wife bumped into a neighbour's car at rolling speed when backing out the drive - no damage whatsoever to our car, but the neighbour is claiming damage to hers despite it being almost physically impossible given the speed of the impact. After f'ing and blinding at my wife during her tirade, my wife left without giving the neighbour any details, even name, primarily because she didn't have the insurance details to hand, but also because of the actions of the neighbour following the incident. The lack of damage that wasn't imaginary also played a part.

The incident was reported to our insurers as an at fault incident and the neighbours insurers had contacted ours so I assumed she was going ahead with a frivolous claim via the insurer route. Roll on a couple of days and I receive a letter from EasiDrive, addressed to Mrs Tbc, imploring us to send them our insurance details etc. stating that it is requirement on us to release insurance details under Section 154(1) of the Road Traffic Act.

I'm not so sure about that, so my question is do I need to respond to these characters? I have contacted our insurance company and supplied them with all necessary details, however I have no intention of supplying a 3rd party with my details unless I am legally required to, especially the likes of a credit hire company. There is little chance of an amicable solution being found with the neighbour given the nature of her language and actions towards my wife and as such I want to progress this only as law dictates I must, nothing more.

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Regards,

SJW
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 13th Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    Leave it to your insurer. You do not need to respond.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 10:16 PM
    • 40,488 Posts
    • 24,533 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:16 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:16 PM
    Your neighbour can find out your insurer themselves from your reg.

But you are bound by law to give the details to the third party as you have been advised.

So little point refusing, and could end up with police involvement if you don't pass on the requested details
    • rosierd
    • By rosierd 14th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    rosierd
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:46 AM
    You aren't obliged to provide them with the details. Your insurer will liaise with their insurer and arrange the passing on of details. Accident management companies are man in the middle and look to make money from credit hire etc. ignore them they are the plague.
    • penners324
    • By penners324 14th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    penners324
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    I wouldn't respond to the claims company.

Let your insurance company deal with it. But tell them no damage to either car so you'll not accept them paying out a claim.
    • penners324
    • By penners324 14th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    penners324
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    Or send you details back stating the claim is fraudulent as bo damage caused and details being forward to police / Action Claim.
    • RupH19
    • By RupH19 15th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RupH19
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    This is very much par for the course and likely your neighbors insurers have directed them to easi drive who supply 'credit' repair and hire car facilities to alleged non fault persons. Never respond direct to these letters just forward to your Insurers. What i would suggest you do, is take photos of your car now showing no damage and if you can get some photos of your neighbors car also as it will help defeat any claim for repair.
    You do have a duty to exchange and or provide your insurers details on the RTA act, however your instance you wouldnt/couldnt as you do not know who easi drive are writing to i.e Mr/s TBC.
    Regardless just send it to your insurer and ensure they are aware there was no damage to either vehicle whilst bearing in mind there is equal onus on your to prove your case i.e no damage.
    Hope that helps.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 15th Jun 19, 8:18 AM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:18 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:18 AM
    Are you able to take photos of this 'damage'?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,495Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter