Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Chris D
    • By MSE Chris D 13th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MSE Chris D
    Curve 'all-in-one' debit card launches new cashback scheme, but is it any good? - MSE News
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    Curve 'all-in-one' debit card launches new cashback scheme, but is it any good? - MSE News 13th Jun 19 at 5:46 PM
    Curve cardholders can now earn 1% cashback at over 50 major retailers, following the launch of 'Curve Cash' which is decent on its free card, but not worth upgrading to its paid-for cards...
    Read the full story:
    'Curve 'all-in-one' debit card launches new cashback scheme, but is it any good?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    You could, have saved yourself a lot of time by just saying “no”.
    • quirkydeptless
    • By quirkydeptless 13th Jun 19, 7:50 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    quirkydeptless
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:50 PM
    This isn't new is it?

I've already had this months ago
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    This is of course an introductory 90 day offer so not a long term benefit.
    Personally I don't see any point in curve. Why not just pay directly with the credit card without involving an additional third party in the transaction?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    This isn't new is it?

Originally posted by quirkydeptless
    Personally I don't see any point in curve. Why not just pay directly with the credit card without involving an additional third party in the transaction?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I think the new thing is that they're offering it to old Blue customers free for 90 days.

With a little work (buying gift cards) I can already receive much higher savings via Scottish Friendly's Benefits scheme at mostly the same retailers.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:08 PM
    This isn't new is it?

Originally posted by quirkydeptless
    Yeah, I was all excited when I saw that headline, assuming they must have made the cashback permanent instead of 90 days, but I was disappointed to find it's the same offer I've already used months ago.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jun 19, 11:02 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 4,373 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:02 PM
    Now not limited to 90 days:
    https://twitter.com/imaginecurve/status/1139179519099777029?s=21
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Jun 19, 1:32 AM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:32 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:32 AM
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Scroll down below the picture of the banknotes and you will see it states 90 days.
    I think the unlimited refers to the amount of cashback that can be earned.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Jun 19, 7:30 AM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 4,373 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:30 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:30 AM
    Scroll down below the picture of the banknotes and you will see it states 90 days.
    I think the unlimited refers to the amount of cashback that can be earned.
    The 90 days is now only applicable to the free Blue card.

Its unlimited on the Black and Metal cards.
    • mrchagle
    • By mrchagle 14th Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    mrchagle
    No it's not, not for the Premium/Metal offerings.
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 14th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    So in theory, i could get a cashback CC. Then make a massive payment into a savings account by a curve debit card but the money comes off the credit card as a payment so i get the cashback. Then keep money earning interest for a month pay off credit card in full (by tesco debit card to possibly get club card points)

And repeat every month. So with 0.5% credit card cashbsck would be 6% annualised (as would be sloshing same cash about) add in an annualised 1.5% on clubcard points add in say 1.25% on when cash sits in easy access account (im taking off a bit from the top 1.5% as will lose a few days waiting for payments to clear)
    Resulting in a nice 8.75% return on someone elses money.

Anyone done this & does it work??
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 14th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    So in theory, i could get a cashback CC. Then make a massive payment into a savings account by a curve debit card but the money comes off the credit card as a payment so i get the cashback. Then keep money earning interest for a month pay off credit card in full (by tesco debit card to possibly get club card points)

And repeat every month. So with 0.5% credit card cashbsck would be 6% annualised (as would be sloshing same cash about) add in an annualised 1.5% on clubcard points add in say 1.25% on when cash sits in easy access account (im taking off a bit from the top 1.5% as will lose a few days waiting for payments to clear)
    Resulting in a nice 8.75% return on someone elses money.

Anyone done this & does it work??
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Why bi-monthly? Why not go the whole hog and pay your credit limit into your savings account every Monday to gain 0.5%, and then repay the credit card every Thursday with your tesco debit card.

That way you get 52 weeks worth of 0.5% multiplied by your credit limit, and the same transaction level of club card points. That's 26% plus points.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 14th Jun 19, 5:26 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Why bi-monthly? Why not go the whole hog and pay your credit limit into your savings account every Monday to gain 0.5%, and then repay the credit card every Thursday with your tesco debit card.

That way you get 52 weeks worth of 0.5% multiplied by your credit limit, and the same transaction level of club card points. That's 26% plus points.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Just had a look at T&C's at it appears they take a very dim view on cash recycling so looks like a bit of a no goer
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 14th Jun 19, 6:27 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    crumpetman
    Which banks let you deposit via debit card payment? Starling allows 250 per day but only on older accounts. I don't think I have seen this facility on any of my other bank accounts.

Tesco debit card should not accrue clubcard points for paying credit card bills, I have tried it on mine and it didn't work. It did work for payments to a couple of investment websites.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 14th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Which banks let you deposit via debit card payment? Starling allows 250 per day but only on older accounts. I don't think I have seen this facility on any of my other bank accounts.

Tesco debit card should not accrue clubcard points for paying credit card bills, I have tried it on mine and it didn't work. It did work for payments to a couple of investment websites.
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    Not banks but online savings accounts.
    Post office & Yorks BS online savers offer that option
    There is also the option of depositing into Ratesetter cash holding account, then withdrawing

Paying off credit card, i didnt think it did accrue points but another poster said they did with their amex & barclay card. I tried with my PO CC & didnt work, going to try with my barclaycard
    Last edited by Zero Sum; 14-06-2019 at 7:03 PM.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 14th Jun 19, 10:13 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Not banks but online savings accounts.
    Post office & Yorks BS online savers offer that option
    There is also the option of depositing into Ratesetter cash holding account, then withdrawing
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Also NS&I Direct Saver allows deposits by debit card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,294Posts Today

7,262Users online

Martin's Twitter