Blackmailed by a company I hired. What would you do here?

Options
pawntoc5
pawntoc5 Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 June 2019 at 10:18PM in Consumer rights
Hello all! I need a bit of help -

Short version: my husband and I hired a videographer/his film company for our wedding last year but the footage was poor and very delayed, beyond the timeframe that was represented to us. I posted a 2 star review on Google and the videographer responded publicly by denying its authenticity, claiming that I am "not a genuine client" and that my review is false. At the same time, he emailed me and threatened to sue if I don't take down the review. He also threatened, amongst other things, to call me at my workplace and involve my employer if I don't respond. This is obviously insane since I've got so much proof that I am a genuine client (eg. payment, emails). I also find the blackmail tactics despicable.

My question: Does anyone know if there are authorities I can report them to? Consumers should not have to put up with this sort of outrageous attacks, especially when the vendor himself is doing the lying.

Long version: in addition to the above threats (which he might well follow through on… hard to say.) he has done a number of other disturbing things, including tracking my husband down on LinkedIn (I guess he wanted to find out which company to call if he did want to involve our employers) and finding out who my employer is (I'd never told him directly).

He has also stated that he will leave a bad review for me in public via my employer's Google listing if I don't take my review down. The threat, of course, is that he wants to drag my employer down because he's got beef with me and that would reflect badly on me. Besides it being completely unfair and irrelevant to the situation we're dealing with here, this is also plain vicious. I'd already looked on Services Ombudsman but they don't seem to cover the filming/media sector so just wondering if anyone knows whom I should be reporting them to.

I hired this videographer because his company is very highly rated based on Google reviews (vast majority are 5 stars. No 1-3 star reviews at all). But now that I look closer, I noticed that most of the "people" leaving this company great reviews on Google only have just that one review to their name. No history of reviewing any other businesses. I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions about what's going on there. Who knows what happened to all the other negative reviews? Got blackmailed out of existence? Who knows...

Sorry this ran longer than I hoped. It's a ridiculous situation and the legal route doesn't interest me because this company is frankly not worth my time. My goal is to de-escalate the situation and move on. Don't want to take down the review (this was still a free country the last time I checked) but I may revise it so it's less contentious. People should not be bullied into submission, the way he's trying to do here. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

P.S. If there are brides/grooms-to-be out there who want to know which company this is so they can avoid the same troubles, please reach out to me directly.

27 June Update: he went through with his threat and posted a 1-star review on my employer's Google listing, putting my full name in capital letters in the review and calling me a large number of things that are ridiculous and untrue (eg. "manipulative" - ironic considering he's the one who's publicly denying the authenticity of my review and then threatening me in private.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2019 at 9:26PM
    Options
    I'm not sure who's in the wrong but you could simply name him here if you're convinced it's him
    How exactly can he leave a bad review for you , and as he's put it in writing it wouldn't be be hard to prove, you just prewarn your company.
    There are are laws on harassment.
    Your opinion that the footage was poor is subjective.

How many reviews did he have?
    wOuld it not have been better to ask for a reference, rather than rely on onlnevrwviews.
    Some people might have found his services ok for the money.
  • pawntoc5
    Options
    "Delayed" as in we were told it was to be 3-6 months for footage to be ready. It took 8+ months. And yes, reviews are always going to be subjective - but for him to threaten to sue and to stalk me in my personal life and involve my employer? That's not warranted.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can tell the police but I'm not sure what they'll do about it at this stage. Personally I'd just explain the situation to your employer, family and friends and let the guy do what he wants. Once he's had what he considers revenge he'll be bored and moved on.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you get a refund for the poor quality work? If not, then decide whether to leave the review, or reply stating that if you receive a full/partial refund of £X then you will remove/improve the review.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pawntoc5
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    How exactly can he leave a bad review for you , and as he's put it in writing it wouldn't be be hard to prove, you just prewarn your company.

He'd google my employer and under their Google listing (which appears on the right hand side of first page results) leave a bad review for me. Whilst I can warn my company in advance, I imagine it's more of a hassle for the employer to have a bad review, never mind what it's for. Much better to sort it out ourselves and keep the employers out of it since it really shouldn't impact them.
  • hollydays
    edited 14 June 2019 at 9:34PM
    Options
    pawntoc5 wrote: »
    Hello all! I need a bit of help -

Short version: my husband and I hired a videographer/his film company for our wedding last year but the footage was poor and very delayed, beyond the timeframe that was represented to us. I posted a 2 star review on Google and the videographer responded publicly by denying its authenticity, claiming that I am "not a genuine client" and that my review is false. At the same time, he emailed me and threatened to sue if I don't take down the review. He also threatened, amongst other things, to call me at my workplace and involve my employer if I don't respond. This is obviously insane since I've got so much proof that I am a genuine client (eg. payment, emails). I also find the blackmail tactics despicable.

My question: Does anyone know if there are authorities I can report them to? Consumers should not have to put up with this sort of outrageous attacks, especially when the vendor himself is doing the lying.

Long version: in addition to the above threats (which he might well follow through on… hard to say.) he has done a number of other disturbing things, including tracking my husband down on LinkedIn (I guess he wanted to find out which company to call if he did want to involve our employers) and finding out who my employer is (I'd never told him directly).

He has also stated that he will leave a bad review for me in public via my employer's Google listing if I don't take my review down. The threat, of course, is that he wants to drag my employer down because he's got beef with me and that would reflect badly on me. Besides it being completely unfair and irrelevant to the situation we're dealing with here, this is also plain vicious. I'd already looked on Services Ombudsman but they don't seem to cover the filming/media sector so just wondering if anyone knows whom I should be reporting them to.

I hired this videographer because his company is very highly rated based on Google reviews (vast majority are 5 stars. No 1-3 star reviews at all). But now that I look closer, I noticed that most of the "people" leaving this company great reviews on Google only have just that one review to their name. No history of reviewing any other businesses. I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions about what's going on there. Who knows what happened to all the other negative reviews? Got blackmailed out of existence? Who knows...

Sorry this ran longer than I hoped. It's a ridiculous situation and the legal route doesn't interest me because this company is frankly not worth my time. My goal is to de-escalate the situation and move on. Don't want to take down the review (this was still a free country the last time I checked) but I may revise it so it's less contentious. People should not be bullied into submission, the way he's trying to do here. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

P.S. If there are brides/grooms-to-be out there who want to know which company this is so they can avoid the same troubles, please reach out to me directly.

I'm not sure if you've added the bit about him suing you, but what could he sue you for?

When you say he's tracked your husband down on LinkedIn, yes LinkedIn does tell you if someone has looked you up, but I wouldn't class that as stalking,
  • pawntoc5
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Did you get a refund for the poor quality work? If not, then decide whether to leave the review, or reply stating that if you receive a full/partial refund of £X then you will remove/improve the review.

No; no refund at all.
  • hollydays
    Options
    He'd google my employer and under their Google listing (which appears on the right hand side of first page results) leave a bad review for me. Whilst I can warn my company in advance, I imagine it's more of a hassle for the employer to have a bad review, never mind what it's for. Much better to sort it out ourselves and keep the employers out of it since it really shouldn't impact them.

I think it's quite simple to inform your employer now, so they can remove the review if it appears!
  • pawntoc5
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you've added the bit about him suing you, but what could he sue you for?
    He's saying for libel, but who knows? This is a person who's willing to deny publicly and attack/blackmail privately, so not sure what chain of logic he subscribes to. Have had others look at this and they're all confirming that I'm not the problem here; his attitude and approach is.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Libels very expensive and not applicable if it's the truth.
    Would you care to post your review.
    He's saying for libel, but who knows? This is a person who's willing to deny publicly and attack/blackmail privately, so not sure what chain of logic he subscribes to. Have had others look at this and they're all confirming that I'm not the problem here; his attitude and approach is.

I think you need to cam down, it's a silly spat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure