Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starquest
    • By Starquest 14th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Starquest
    Extended holiday on house insurance
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    Extended holiday on house insurance 14th Jun 19 at 10:26 AM
    My house insurance has a limit of 3 months holiday, unoccupied, cover. If my plans change in that I will be away for 5 - 6 months, is it OK to return to the house for two/three days just before 3 months and then go off again? The policy does not state 90 days in the year just 90 days unoccupied. All insurance requirements will have been met, water, gas, heating, but would there be a problem in the event of a claim?
    Thanks
    Steve
Page 1
    • rosierd
    • By rosierd 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    rosierd
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    Upon checking most policy wordings it states 90 days in a row so if you return for a few days and leave again you would be absolutely fine.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 14th Jun 19, 2:17 PM
    • 11,251 Posts
    • 11,662 Thanks
    Linton
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:17 PM
    My house insurance has a limit of 3 months holiday, unoccupied, cover. If my plans change in that I will be away for 5 - 6 months, is it OK to return to the house for two/three days just before 3 months and then go off again? The policy does not state 90 days in the year just 90 days unoccupied. All insurance requirements will have been met, water, gas, heating, but would there be a problem in the event of a claim?
    Thanks
    Steve
    Originally posted by Starquest

I have similar requirements and now choose my insurer on the basis of their flexibility in this area. Covering 90 days absence seems unusually generous.

You need to check your policy documentation very carefully and possibly ring the insurance company to confirm. Dont try and be "clever" with this. Different insurers have different rules. Staying a couple of nights may not be sufficient to reset the clock.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,264Posts Today

7,458Users online

Martin's Twitter