PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• mpr87
    mpr87 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our Timeline

FTB

12/01/2019 - first viewing of the property

19/01 - second viewing/ made our offer
    22/01 Offer accepted.

26/01 met with mortgage broker and put in mortgage application

31/01 mortgage valuation completed
    31/01 solicitor instructed

04/02 mortgage offer received

12/02 homebuyers survey completed

06/03 all searches completed

06/03 requested gas boiler to have gas safety inspection carried out due to lack of Gas Safe Certificate.

after that point we had nearly 3 months of just being told our solicitor was awaiting responses to enquiries with no luck despite numerous changes

30/05 I recieved a phonecall asking us to book in to sign with our solicitor urgently as a seller up the chain was putting pressure on our vendor to try and complete within the week. We explained we still hadn't had the boiler safety check documents, we will see our solicitor and "sign" but won't be instructing them to exchange until that was sorted.

03/06 - saw our solicitor and signed documents etc, given bank details to transfer funds but told not to transfer yet . Solicitor explained that the sols the vendors are using are notoriously poor and not to send any money until we know things can actually progress. The Vendors solicitor couldn't even answer whether our property is freehold or leasehold and sent their own version of the property purchase questionaire which looked amateurish at best.

04/06 - found out we can't complete yet as our vendor has an issue, |The mortgage company won't accept a term of the leasehold on the property they are purchasing and they are having to send of for a deed of variation - Who know's how long this will now take but they are "in the process"

also received a copy of the boiler check, this was completed back in march but the vendors solicitor had never sent on .

05/06 - explained to solicitor if not sorted by July our mortgage offer will be expiring and we will not be wasting any more time on this property having been originally told there was no chain to now discover there is a chain and it is the chain causing a hold up.

06/06 solicitor advised that the vendors solicitor is still hoping to complete soon and gave a completion date of 21/06

no progress since, still not sure when we are going to exchange. not been told to send funds yet and we are on holiday for the weekend starting the 21st which will make things difficult now.

Very frustrated as FTB I feel the EA hoodwinked us into a false sense of security as far as the chain was concerned making us believe our vendor was moving into an empty property when this clearly isn't the case and here we are 6 months on still waiting with our mortgage offer not far from expiry and no solid idea of when things are going to move forward.
  • correll
    correll Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    mpr87, I agree that the EA has misled you (although the vendors may have misled him) In this whole sorry process it is difficult to know who to blame for the shambolic handling of house buying/selling.You will be able to select a completion date before exchange - so you will be able to ask for a date after your weekend away. Good luck!!
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Finally exchanged yesterday :beer:, completion for next week!

Started process in February and got delayed due to probate delays!
  • harkessmd
    harkessmd Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 7:39AM
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »

God i hope this means ours will come through soon @letitbe90 !
    We have been waiting since January and are trapped in the probate travesty!
    * Can i ask what area of country you are in?
    Good luck for moving day!:beer:
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »

Fantastic news. Congrats.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    harkessmd wrote: »
    God i hope this means ours will come through soon @letitbe90 !
    We have been waiting since January and are trapped in the probate travesty!
    * Can i ask what area of country you are in?
    Good luck for moving day!:beer:
    In the Greater London area. Honestly, we should have been moved in back in April, but I am just so glad it wasn't even further delayed at this point. I got the property at pre-March prices (where Brexit uncertainty was at it's peak so managed to get quite a bargain) and I was always worried the vendor might remarket it to get (imo) easily £50k+ more than what I offered.
  • letThemPlay
    letThemPlay Posts: 92 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't updated since my initial post, been so frustrated with the solicitors. The initial contracts went missing between them and they wouldn't start searches until they turned up, but didn't tell me this, so had a delay of 3 weeks.

The searches themselves took 3 weeks to return, although the latest date stamp on the searches was from two weeks earlier; so it feels like they were being held onto by someone.

I should've pushed more from the beginning and that initial delay wouldn't have happened, at least I know now for the future.

Should be getting the final report and contracts today, so hopefully exchange is not too far away now.

It will be worth it; it will be worth it; it will be worth it.
    # 047 'Save 12K in 2019' - £6,346.86 / £12,000 55.89%
    # 074 'Save 12K in 2015' - £4,379.25 / £4,000 109.48%
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    After phoning my solicitors at 10am and being told exchange is today and to hold off for an hour for confirmation before booking removals for Fri 21st....still no news. Horrible feeling I will have lost the chance to book with my preferred firm as it only had 2 dates free in the next 2 weeks (spoke to them on Tues) and Fridays book quickly.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • correll
    Options
    Ka7e, sounds a bit ropey, hope they came through for you
  • correll
    Options
    letThemPlay, it is a steep learning curve, but I will NEVER do it again!!
    I'm sure it will be worth it in the end
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure