Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Jun 19, 4:02 AM
    • 13,047Posts
    • 48,562Thanks
    Nelski
    OS Thursday 13th June
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:02 AM
    OS Thursday 13th June 13th Jun 19 at 4:02 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Me again . I have a question for my brain ...why can I sleep so easily when I have to be up at daft o'clock and the toss and turn when I have a potential lie in? Anyway another work day ahead am heading to Wigan seemingly very close to mum but I haven't told her and dont think i will be calling in as I have to stay focused and don't particularly need her philosophy on life whilst working. OL I wish I did have the patience of a saint but its far from true my driver is a sense of duty and I would walk away at the drop of a hat if I could. She did make me laugh out loud last night though as I rang for the dreaded phone call to tell her I'm off her rota for next week and I was mid telling her when she interrupted and said thats fine anyway I'm going now....strange...loo maybe...or door....no Emmerdale was starting and she couldn't miss it Note to self all horrid news to be delivered 2 mins before soapland starts Sure the saga will continue as she considers the news but for now its worth knowing

Great day yesterday group were really good and travel all on time. Hoping for the same today its a new company to me so always a bit wary at this stage. More management to cover so no huge prep needed either.

Lunch was provided yesterday so my goodies came home with me and did for my dinner when I got back. Same again today so if they do give lunch I will rinse and repeat

Hope everyone has a great day if possible
    Last edited by Nelski; 13-06-2019 at 4:34 AM.
Page 1
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Jun 19, 5:30 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 49,201 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:30 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:30 AM
    Morning everyone

Nelski - thanks for starting us off x

Dull, dreich, and raining steadily, lots of laying water as it's been raining since yesterday afternoon, it doesn't feel as cold though. We did put the fire on for a while last night as it was so cold.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'm showered and dressed, now enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was sausages, mash/new potatoes, veg and gravy. Not sure what we're having tonight but can sort during the day today.

Yesterday work wasn't very busy but we had some challenging cases to say the least, but we did the best we could.

I have the normal "to do" list and any washing will have to be TD or put on the airer - which I don't like doing as don't like wet washing hanging about the house especially when we haven't got the heating on - makes everywhere feel damp. Will just work through my list at my own pace, visited the bank yesterday as knew today I had to wait in for a delivery, they had tried to deliver yesterday and I have a card to go and collect so will do that this morning, but other than that I don't have to go out if I don't want to.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 13-06-2019 at 6:33 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 13th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 37,353 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NELSKI. Another damp start here but I think, compared to some parts of the UK, we are getting off lightly in the rain stakes. Escaping with just light drizzle most of the time.

The gardener gave me my 'half a makeover' quote yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! Nowhere near as exorbitant as I was fearing, so it goes ahead. Plus he has had next week's job postponed so can start mine on Monday. In my mind I am planning Mediterranean looking plants when it's finished but that depends on the price of them!

The DGDs are still asleep so will give them another 20 mins or so before I rouse them. They are all back again tonight for their usual Thursday fix so the Bolognese will go on shortly.

Shopping day but really don't need a lot as I got quite a few salad and veg items in M & S t'other day. So hopefully another frugal shop in Aldi on the agenda.

I was a silly billy yesterday and swayed from my usual Cheesy Broccoli Bake and was tempted by chicken, ham and leek pie instead. It was enormous and nowhere near as nice as the bake I am addicted to!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need or want of them. Thinking of AOD. Funerals are always an ordeal to get through.Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 100,479 Thanks
    redruby
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    Morning all

No rain here atm but its due all day again, getting fed up with this now !! This time last year we were in the middle of a heatwave !! This morning I woke up really cold in June !!

Off to work today and the nice Thursday group one of the best days for me client wise.

Dinner tonight will be a pizza for OH and I will have a Jacket Potato with beans and cheese and I will make a large salad.

AOD I do hope the funeral goes as well as it can, thinking of you xx

Have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jun 19, 6:23 AM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 52,593 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:23 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:23 AM
    Morning folks.

My jaunt yesterday was really enjoyable despite the hearing aid! I had 20 minutes in my own home which I spent wandering around the back garden. I've missed the clematis and bluebells blooming though other stuff looked good. The gardener had cut the grass earlier so it was all very neat.

Getting the hearing aid was interesting as it's all done by computer now, much tweaking of settings and many bleeps. Anyway, I found that the fitting hurt so it may well take some getting used to. I'm not convinced I need it or even want it...trials will take place.

Of course, DM was perfectly happy with her friend all day so I needn't have worried. All the prep worked so it may happen again.

AOD - my thoughts will be with you today, keep the happy memories close.

I wish everyone a happy Thursday.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 48,562 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    Popped back in to wish AOD all the best thoughts for today x
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 9,843 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    Good morning, still raining here.

Glad you're not going to be bankrupted TA, by having the garden done.

AOD, thinking of you.

Gers I've got 2 hearing aids, and settled "into" them quickly, mind I knew I needed them. DH has 2 as well, his are big heavy duty ones as he's as deaf as the proverbial. In fact he's going to his hearing aid clinic today.

We've got a man coming to service the boiler and fire today, that's about all that's happening.

Took my friend out for lunch yesterday, she wanted to go to Samb*ca, it was fine.

I think the rain is going to ease off today, certainly hope so.

Hope everyone has an ok day

Take care folks xx
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jun 19, 6:57 AM
    • 887 Posts
    • 12,705 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:57 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:57 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Nelski. I know what you mean by sense of duty, but now mother has passed I know I did my best, I visited her, did what I could.

AOD my thoughts are with you
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 23,154 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    Good morning,

I hope everyone is well.

A super busy day yesterday meant I didn't get the chance to pop by. Not much to report though. Usual stuff. Today will be much the same. I've been to the gym this morning which will free up my evening in which I need to stay late in work for a bit to make some calls to America then I've got my weekly catch up with my gran.

I've got chicken marinading in the fridge to make katsu curry. It's Jamie Oliver recipe and I've never made it before, god knows what it'll turn out like.

Today will be NSD #8.

Nelski - You genuinely inspire me with your positivity and determination.
    AoD - Hope today goes as well as it can.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Jun 19, 8:03 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all. Waiting for the plumber to come and fit the new shower. We are booked for am so we will see.

TA glad your estmate was acceptable. AOD thinking of you today.

Still wet and windy here meh.

Anybody heard from Jackie O. Have I missed something?

Well I will love you and leave you. Hugs and spoons all round.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 13th Jun 19, 8:57 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    creative gal
    Thursday already- how did that happen? Even though it's a few days away, I'm already starting to get prickles of anxiety thinking about having to go back to work. It will be nice to see most of my colleagues again though- I haven't seen one of my favourite people at work for about a month, as she was on holiday for 2 weeks before I broke up for my holiday.

It's going to be a day of 2 halves today, my parents are taking me out for lunch, as they have a voucher, then on to the funeral of their former cleaner. Later, we'll be going to my Brother's house to celebrate my niece's first birthday, so that's something nice to look forward to afterwards.

I decided to have a bath last night while my husband was out, and about halfway through, heard utterly sad, plaintive mews coming from the other side of the closed door. Once I'd had my bath, I made sure to give the cat lots of fuss.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 13th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    snoozer
    AOD, I hope today goes as well as it can.

The weather isn't as bad as we expected today but we may well be popping over to Lancashire to see my aunt.

Yesterday we walked along the canal from Skipton to Cononley and caught the train back. Unfortunately it broke down and we sat there for almost two hours until they took us off through the drivers cab into the nearby Tesco car park. We could have walked back more quickly, but the ticket cost had already been refunded by the time we got back.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 13th Jun 19, 10:35 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 24,937 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

I hope the funeral goes as well as it can AOD,sending love.
    SO,I'm glad you are starting to feel you did the best you could for Mum
    Yesterdays DGD Y2 assembly was delightful, we sat with 'other Nana',and then got to look at her work DS2 was able to go as he didnt go to work yesterday.He's not been feeling too good and had a docs appt afterwards.It seems he may have an ulcer so he has some tablets for 4 weeks and then goes back.DGS stayed last night so they both went to bed early and after we'd dropped him off at school he has gone to work. His Dad will be glad,they're doing some landscaping work and his back is suffering!

I'm unsure what to make for tea- I've taken out some diced lamb,so it could be Lancashire hot pot or curry ( talking of Lancashire it's still raining here Snoozer )
    Best wishes to all xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,516Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter