IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Advice on PE PCN required

Hi all,

I have spent the last 2 days trawling through this forum (and others) in the hope that I might find the right course of action regardng a PCN we received from Parking Lie last week. I have read the newbies section and appreciate the resistance to new threads but I could not find a clear answer so I have had to start a new thread.

On 30/5/19 my wife parked in an Aldi car park and went over the 1.5 hours limit by 34 minutes on the day in question but she is 36 weeks pregnant imparing her ability to move at a normal pace, suffering from pelvis pain (PGP) and having to take regular breaks as she goes about her business. She bought some bits in Aldi but also took the short walk to a local shopping precinct to visit other shops and buy a coffee.

Sadly she did not hang on to her receipt and paid in cash, however, we do use the branch very regularly as it is close to our places of work so we will have card statements showing regular visits.

In an ideal world I would appeal to PE's better nature and argue that special dispensation should be afforded to pregnant women in so much as allowing additional leeway in terms of the grace periods and the realistic time it takes a pregant woman to shop. However, having read various posts I appreciate that this would fail!

So, before I send the inital appeal to PE I wanted to see if I was wasting my time because:
  • The PCN was issued in the correct time limits.
  • We do not have the 'Golden Ticket' - it all seems to be in order.
  • I am not sure just the Maternity section of the Equality Act is enough to uphold an appeal to either PE or POPLA
I plan on checking the signage tonight as I need to shop after work anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    IMO, PE signs leave much to be desired. I doubt that many judges would agree that they are capable of forming a contract, read this

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164

and enlist the support of your MP as they are obviously trying to scam you.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    PE don't have a better nature, if you read the NEWBIE thread you will find that the first step is always a complaint to the retail outlet, in this case Aldi, use this e-mail [EMAIL="gmd.cs@aldi.co.uk"]gmd.cs@aldi.co.uk[/EMAIL] and go to town with your complaint! You can use the Equality Act 2010 to explain why more time/consideration should have been given.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have read the newbies section and appreciate the resistance to new threads but I could not find a clear answer so I have had to start a new thread.

Post 1 2:2 is as crystal clear as you can get!

as is the advice for a firstly making direct complaint to the retailer whilst waiting for the NTK to arrive.
  • Thanks for the responses all. I will get on with chastising Aldi first and draft a letter of complaint to my MP!

Thank you for the email address Le_Kirk, very useful!

Pogofish, not sure how I missed it to be honest as I have been reading it back and forth all day, apologies. The PCN was a postal one and has already arrived and is of course addressed to the keeper as they don't know who was driving.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Not chastising Aldi, complaining to Aldi and showing them that they are about to lose a regular customer (upload receipts or a bank statement or two). Start by using their 'Contact Us' form on their website.

Do that robustly yet politely and insist it should be cancelled.

Do that before even trying an appeal, which can wait 28 days. No, it doesn't matter about the first 14 days 'bribe' or the reminder that P/Eye will send...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Took a few days but Aldi CS replied and have cancelled the parking charge.

Thanks for your advice folks!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Surely Aldi must realise that these scammers are affecting their bottom line.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Took a few days but Aldi CS replied and have cancelled the parking charge.

Thanks for your advice folks!
    Yay, as expected but thanks for confirming.

ALWAYS ALWAYS COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILER/LANDOWER ABOUT PPC SCAMS.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The fact that they have to have an internal parking management team to deal with complaints about a company they pay to manage their parking is ludicrous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure