The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt.

Comments

• bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ghbradshaw wrote:
    Woolworths downloads are 59p each, and they have a good selection too!

https://www.woolworths.co.uk

Just downloaded the Faithless album, fantastic! :)

Am new to the world of mp3 downloads but it was dead easy and not expensive.

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    I don't really understand this stuff.

If you pay to be a member of file sharing, is it then legal?

Do the sites have to ttell you if it's legal or not?

sorry to be a nincompoop, but this week a woman has been fined £4000 for her daughters downloads.....she mustve had a helluva lot!!!
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    A question nothing more nothing less, Is it ok to borrow music from a library then record it to blank media?
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All good questions guys, the music industry would like to monopolise their product by only offering it in certain geographical areas. Fortunatly the internet has made this impossible to continue. Personally I have used the Russian site ALLOFMP3 and couldnt be happier. The best thing about it is that they can offer Lossless copies albeit a little more expensive. Be very carefully when purchasing "lossy" music from Itunes or other uk pay services, you are getting an inferiour copy to the CD.
    Save save save!!
  • Mr_Skint wrote:
    A question nothing more nothing less, Is it ok to borrow music from a library then record it to blank media?

I believe that under UK copyright it is illegal to copy music from one format to another without permission. So if you own a CD and copy it to a PC or MP3 player you are breaking copyright.

Copying music from a library is in breach of copyright and therefore illegal.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    cashless wrote:
    I believe that under UK copyright it is illegal to copy music from one format to another without permission. So if you own a CD and copy it to a PC or MP3 player you are breaking copyright.

Cheers, Its just wierd why you can buy blank media, I mean its encourageable.
  • In the USA they have fair use rights so you are not in breach of copyright if you copy a CD to a mobile player or onto another media (say a cassette to play in the car). Although a recent court case on DVDs made the copying of those for 'backup' purposes illegal in the US.
  • safari_2
    safari_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    cashless wrote:

I'm not sure that's right. If you own a CD, you are allowed to make copies provided they are for your own personal use. So you're allowed to make a copy for the car or your MP3 player, but not for your mate. The precedent on this is the famous Betamax case (Sony were sued by a TV or film studio and the judged ruled that personal copies were fair use IIRC), which has been accepted over here.

The record companies would love to make you buy the same song several times on different formats. The best they can do so far is with ringtones.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • safari_2
    safari_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Mr_Skint wrote:

No. You don't own the original.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Mr_Skint_2
    safari wrote:
    No. You don't own the original.

So why do they make blank media then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing