PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Green garden waste bins

Options
I don't know whether this is common place, throughout the whole country - but in my area, GREEN GARDEN WASTE BINS that need new wheels fitting (the tyres tend to "perish/crumble" after about ten years) - are basically disposed of........... Hardly "green" !!

Is there not a company who can refurbish these garden waste bins and save local authorities (and hence residents) money ?

Maybe an MSE reader fancies a guaranteed business idea ?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You are spoilt, in my area the residents have to buy the bin so any problems are theirs & nothing to to with council costs

The bins have only been introduced last couple of years [it was large tough sacks before] so perished / worn wheels have not had chance to show
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2019 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    You are spoilt, in my area the residents have to buy the bin so any problems are theirs & nothing to to with council costs

The bins have only been introduced last couple of years [it was large tough sacks before] so perished / worn wheels have not had chance to show

We didn't have to buy them - we rent them at £56.90 per year for the collection service !
    The service was introduced about 6 years ago and the tyres are clearly on their way out - once they go, the bin will be hard to move - the council simply replaces the bin (with a smaller one - roughly half the size but continues to charge the same collection)
    Sacks (and it has to be THEIR sacks )- cost £28.40 for 10
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 April 2019 at 3:54PM
    Options
    You are both spoilt. :p

In my area apartment blocks - new and old - are charged for all bins: dumpsters for regular refuse AND doorstep recycling (glass/ plastic/ paper). Not just additional bins or replacement bins, any and all bins.

As a result many residents still do not have doorstep recycling collection (as req'd in the 2003 Act).
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I don't know whether this is common place, throughout the whole country - but in my area, GREEN GARDEN WASTE BINS that need new wheels fitting (the tyres tend to "perish/crumble" after about ten years) - are basically disposed of........... Hardly "green" !!

Especially when the local authority send those bins to landfill instead of recycling the plastic. :(
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My neighbour's green bin had the wheels broken by the binmen. A farse followed that has resulted in them now having 2 large and 1 small bin. They reported the broken large bin to the council, the council sent a small one saying they don't issue large bins anymore, (to encourage residents to compost at home or take their garden stuff to the tip). Our gardens are quite big, so our neighbour bought their own large green bin from an online company. Then out of the blue and to their complete surprise two blokes turned up from the council or their contractor and replaced the broken wheels on the original bin.

Curiously, they still occasionally borrow ours when they've filled one of theirs! They don't want 3 bins getting really mucky as we pay a man to clean our bins so they don't want to triple their expenses.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thats exactly what I suspected that most councils do - surropticiously ( so as nobody finds out)
    If this is true - it's an appalling state of affairs !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure