Mystery Dining discussion thread (because internal forums are muzzled and blocked!)

Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 18 July 2017 at 12:01PM in Boost your income
I thought this might be a useful thread for members of certain Mystery Dining companies wanting to exchange views freely and without interference from the company moderators whenever a topic on their internal forums looks like getting a bit uncomfortable.

HGEM Ltd is now the main company's name, previously The Mystery Dining Company Ltd.

Assessors will know exactly what I mean. Questions are asked which raise issues that the company's uncomfortable having aired - so it just closes the thread down to avoid any further discussion.

One such topic is the pressure on assessors to write glowing reports - even when the experience was far from glowing.

Another is the inconsistency in grading reports.

There are any number of topics being blocked because they make uncomfortable reading - here's maybe a good place for people to share their views without the heavy-handed interference and censorship. :)

Comments

• oblem other than that most jobs in in big cities and a lot of them are evening, as an older shopper I prefer lunchtimes. One MS co only pay £10 but expect a meal and a drink for that price, if you take someone with you then its out of reach. I do not like having to take photos from above the glass or plate, does that look normal? Just to let you know that others do read your posts.
  • Cairoxxx
    Cairoxxx Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Regarding the Company that would like to keep their name a Mystery ..... 90 minutes, 10 emails, and not even any Dining required - wham, bam, ma'am, I think that is what you call spam!
  • Doc_N
    Mystery Dining is a bit of a misnomer these days - it's mainly pubs and places like Subway, where they reimburse all of £5 for about an hour's work!

There got to be quite a few adverse comments about it on one of their discussion threads recently, so they did what they always do when they get criticism - closed the thread to any further comments.

It's a very controlling outfit. They do NOT like any form of criticism, even on forums which are supposedly designed to allow discussion. The real purpose of the forums is to snoop on what people are thinking, and then stamp on anyone who speaks out of turn!
  • Doc_N
    A lot of discussion about the number of Subway-style dines on the Mystery Dining (HGEM) internal forums at the moment, but every time one of the discussions gets a bit critical about the lack of proper dines they close the discussion thread down.

They do this every time one of the discussion threads starts becoming critical about anything rather than just allow people to post what they really think. The whole thing's heavily censored to make it look as if everyone's happy in Mystery Diner land, and I suspect some of the more positive posts are 'plants'.

They really do not like criticism, and if you disagree with them you run the risk of having your account closed.

OK for the very occasional high value meal, but there's now so much dross that results in a lot of work for around a fiver (well below minimum wage rates if you were an employee) that it's barely worth signing up - and you only get the dross until you reach the upper echelons in their grading system.

And what restaurant clients may not know is that the reporting structure is very much geared up to producing positive, glowing reports. Negative reports are much more difficult for assessors, and it's very much simpler to make a positive report than a negative one. If I were a restaurant owner I'd be taking the feedback with a very large pinch of salt.
  • This firm pays nothing usually, unless they're desperate and close to the deadline, they just reimburse according to their stated maximum expenditure. As adults, we know when we accept an assignment what the conditions are. However, I have become disgusted at their changing of my shopper reports to the point where they do not reflect my shopper experience. Reports for their client Greene King seem to be especially prone to this.

I recently visited a pub local to me and held dear in the hearts of many in the pub's community. I have known the pub for 25 years, but partner has known it for 45 years. On this recent visit the beer and food were poor, the pub empty. My report reflected this. But after my report was approved I saw they had changed my overall score from 4 out of 10 to 6, and removed many of my critical comments. I complained to them and was told that they had 100s of reports each day and amended them to better reflect the shoppers' content. After complaining again I was told I needed to add more description to my critical comments. I was furious and reminded them of the level of description I had included in my report, some of which was now deleted.

I then realised that I had noticed an anomaly with another Greene King pub I'd visited in January. Again they had put my score up, yet the food was very poor and overpriced. At the time I thought I must had made an error.

I have now cancelled all future shops with this firm. I stupidly thought I was having some input into improving quality and customer service. The pub I have mentioned here has Greene King Beer Pub status which means it can have many real ales that are not Greene King's. It has also recently changed hands from a manager that did keep the beer well. We have never before seen this pub empty. Instead of my report raising issues to be addressed by Greene King area managers and the pub manager, we face the likelihood of the pub being closed if it continues this way.

I'm pretty disgusted and feel a fool to think I considered I was helping to improve standards. HGEM are clearly in the pockets of their clients and the shoppers are being deluded. Just to add, that after this visit and eating low quality, ill-prepared food I had a severe stomach upset for 24 hours that was one stop short of gastroenteritis, which I experienced 40 years ago. With the doctoring of my report this pub could cause more people to be ill, nevermind waste their money.
  • Doc_N
    Sorry to hear that, cnorman7 - it does crop up on internal HGEM forums from time to time that reports have been marked up by the person checking and agreeing the report put in by the diner.

I've had the same thing happen to me too - basically they seem to prefer to send glowing reports through to their clients, which defeats the whole point of the exercise, which is to provide accurate feedback, warts and all.

I suppose it's the 'don't shoot the messenger' syndrome. Maybe they're afraid that bad reports will cost them clients. And let's face it, HGEM exists for one purpose, and one purpose only - to make money for its shareholders.

If clients start suspecting, though, that objective reports are being 'manipulated' to make them look better than they really should be, those clients are probably going to think twice about using HGEM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure