Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in debt again but dealing with it
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    • 1,322Posts
    • 1,909Thanks
    in debt again but dealing with it
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!! 31st Jul 07 at 9:39 PM
    I'm going away for a fortnight soon, (very dfw in our tourer and in this country), trying to be realistic about the spending money but have never been very good and we never seem to have enough - in the past were always able to rely on the cc for back up hence where I am now!!! There are 5 (2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 child) of us and we plan to take as much of the food with us that we can - but will obviously still have to shop a little! I plan to take 400 but worry that maybe this isn't enough and what if we run out. So anyone out there brave enough to admit what they spend or let me have some tips. Many thanks.
    IDA
    xx
    Last edited by in debt again but dealing with it; 27-08-2007 at 3:59 PM. Reason: change in arrangements
    Proud to be member NO 9 of the "DMP mutal support club"
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Not complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
Page 5
  • spud30
    Spud, have you tried looking on ebay, people rent their caravans on their on sites like Haven and other caravan parks?
    Originally posted by jo1972
    I hadnt thought of looking on Ebay.

The problem is, a lot of self catering places wont accept dogs. A lot that will accept dogs, specify only small to medium dogs accepted. Our dog is a giant breed
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 3:22 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Where abouts do you live, or rather would you like to holiday?
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • spud30
    Where abouts do you live, or rather would you like to holiday?
    Originally posted by jo1972

North Wales would lovely, just having a look on ebay now.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 3:30 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Quick google search shows these as dog friendly - but no idea of prices etc

http://www.dogsinvited.co.uk/north_wales.htm
    http://www.hendwr-lodge.cymru1.net/
    http://www.pencefn.com/

DMP support thread (member #32)

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 3:31 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    http://www.iknow-wales.co.uk/north_wales_coast/isle_of_anglesey/caravan_parks/pet_dog_friendly/
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 4:25 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Hi Spud West star holidays have just emailed about last minute bargains think they're on weststarholidays.co.uk don't know if they take dogs or not. What breed is it? We have a German shepherd and a border collie + a three legged cat and a rabbit - with 4 children too our house is very dysfunctional - just think the Simpsons!!! lol.
    Jo I envy your group holiday, I'd love to go in a group like that but we really have very few friends - typical billy no mates!! lol
    Newlywed I'm sure your holiday with the boys will be lovely!
    Keep the tips coming its making me all excited about my hols!
    IDA
    x
  • spud30
    Hi Spud West star holidays have just emailed about last minute bargains think they're on weststarholidays.co.uk don't know if they take dogs or not. What breed is it? We have a German shepherd and a border collie + a three legged cat and a rabbit - with 4 children too our house is very dysfunctional - just think the Simpsons!!! lol.
    Originally posted by in debt again but dealing with it
    Thanks IDA, I'll have a look at West star.

She's a very gorgeous Great Dane, we also have 4 cats and 2 children :rolleyes:

• By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 6:52 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Any luck spud?
  • sammiboo
    This threads made me want to book and plan a holiday now
    March 2006 15,200+ in debt April 843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - 843.64 5.7%
  • spud30
    Any luck spud?
    I've remembered we're babysitting a friend's goldfish until the end of next week, so we can't go until then anyway.

I will chat to hubby tomorrow and see what he says

• kiwigirl
    Hi IDA and all,

A few of my colleagues tell me that the Greenwood place Caernarfon way is really good - a few of them spend the whole day there when they go.

Caernarfon Castle, Conwy Castle, Cricceth castle - may be a bit far but if you do go there you must get some ice cream at Cadwaleders! Also got a nice beach in Cricceth too.

Llandudno pier, Little Orme, Great Orme, Great Orme Copper Mines, Orme's cable car as someone's suggested, walk around the Orme - there's a toll on it otherwise but free about 7pm I think!

Smallest House in Conwy as someone's already mentioned, walls in Conwy are a nice walk but make sure you've got sensible shoes on and maybe your OH and DD would like to sit that one out whilst the other 3 of you walk that - it's free to walk on Conwy Walls BTW.

Food shops around, Abergele - Tesco, Rhyl Sainsbury (petrol there) Morrisons (petrol there), Colwyn Bay Morrisons, Lidl, Llandudno - Asda (petrol), Aldi, Llandudno Junction (nr Conwy) Tesco (petrol). Conwy -- Spar.

Cinema in Llandudno Junction too, think cheap nights on Tuesday's, think they do Orange on Weds too. Cheaper tickets during day - Tesco across road there too!

Bangor's got a nice pier that a few walk on, University town.

Anglesea got some nice places to visit too.

PM me if you need some info - live about 15 mins from Colwyn Bay.

Enjoy yourselves!

KG
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 9:38 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Thanks KG that is all really useful!
    IDA
    x
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 10:16 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Just found this link;

http://www.whattodowiththekids.co.uk...chesterzoo.htm

buy an adult ticket get a kids free. Valid until 31/12/07.

Omg I love this site!
    IDA
    x
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 2nd Aug 07, 8:57 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    We've actually got one of them box things for on top of the car.

Hubby finishes work in the morning for 2 weeks, what do you reckon my chances are of finding somewhere last minute that would take us and the dog
    Originally posted by spud30
    There is actually a website, and book, that is about accommodation with a dog. But I don't know the link!
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 2nd Aug 07, 9:00 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Just found this link;

http://www.whattodowiththekids.co.uk...chesterzoo.htm

buy an adult ticket get a kids free. Valid until 31/12/07.

Omg I love this site!
    IDA
    x
    That link isn't working for me - oh sorry blonde moment - have to pay to get membership to the site :rolleyes:

• By in debt again but dealing with it 2nd Aug 07, 10:01 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Newlywed I didn't just clicked on it! Just had a look and it won't work for me now either - bummer must have just been lucky last night! Sorry I'll keep looking for you!
    IDA
    x
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 2nd Aug 07, 10:06 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Found this one though:
    http://www.cheshiredaysout.co.uk/

And this has more "attractions" and lists prices
    http://www.attractionsnorthwales.co.uk/home.php?/find_an_attraction/search_results;rid=8
    Last edited by newlywed; 02-08-2007 at 10:08 AM.

• By in debt again but dealing with it 2nd Aug 07, 10:48 AM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    I've just found this

http://www.cheshiredaysout.co.uk/pdfs/leaflets.pdf

Seems to work!
    • dancingfairy
    • By dancingfairy 2nd Aug 07, 11:05 AM
    • 8,961 Posts
    • 7,344 Thanks
    dancingfairy
    When you get there you can visit the tourist information centre - most places have (this is obligatory in our family after the food stocking up trip on day one of the holiday ) they should tell you about the local attractions the free things and the ones that cost a bit too / they also have leaflets and things with vouchers and stuff and special deals so it may be worth popping in there and seeing what vouchers they have.

Have a great holiday. Remember your family will appreciate it more if they are allowed to eat out once or twice in a week as a special treat and spending time with them and exploring the local area and won't necessarily remember the expensive holidays best - they might remember things like "those camping trips we had we were young2- or "remember that time when we spent the whole time on the beach" or whatever.

Hope you have a fab time. You're making me jealous now
    Making my money go further with MSE
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200
  • beebearshouse
    In Wales they have some excellent deals where you can catch a train / bus all day for about 6.00 per head for adults (not sure how much for children). But the ticket is also valid for some of the tourist trains (steam trains usually) and the ones it is not valid for usually give a 20% discount if you arrived by train. Only gotcha I'm aware of is some buses do not sell the correct ticket so double check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

6,929Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• Follow Martin