Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in debt again but dealing with it
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    • 1,322Posts
    • 1,909Thanks
    in debt again but dealing with it
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!! 31st Jul 07 at 9:39 PM
    I'm going away for a fortnight soon, (very dfw in our tourer and in this country), trying to be realistic about the spending money but have never been very good and we never seem to have enough - in the past were always able to rely on the cc for back up hence where I am now!!! There are 5 (2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 child) of us and we plan to take as much of the food with us that we can - but will obviously still have to shop a little! I plan to take 400 but worry that maybe this isn't enough and what if we run out. So anyone out there brave enough to admit what they spend or let me have some tips. Many thanks.
    IDA
    xx
    Last edited by in debt again but dealing with it; 27-08-2007 at 3:59 PM. Reason: change in arrangements
    Proud to be member NO 9 of the "DMP mutal support club"
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Not complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
Page 4
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 2:02 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    If you want to be ridiculously super organised, you could batch cook between now and then, freeze it, shove it in a freezer bag for the journey and have a beautifully prepared meal every night?

Have you got a slow cooker? You could make delicious stews, curries, chilli etc. in absolutely no time at all!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 2:03 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Looks like you might need to buy a trailer for your car
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:06 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    No - no slow cooker - OH is convinced we don't need another kitchen gadget and says it won't fit in the kitchen (not with his huge espresso/cappuccino machine he's only used twice and his George Foreman I use once every few months but he won't let me put in the cupboard) :rolleyes:

Would take the sandwich maker but would have to see if it will fit in the car

My list I've started is mainly full of what food to buy on the first day to last the week

DMP support thread (member #32)

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 2:10 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Oh you must get a slow cooker! Save so much time and money, you can use really cheap cuts of meat and they turn out melt in the mouth! Just come home and serve it up!

*in fact, wonder if I can fit my slow cooker in the car with the luggage *
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:10 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Thanks for this thread IDA - it's made me look forward to our holiday much more

Just another money saving tip - don't go ANYWHERE near Cheshire Oaks. Not even for a peek!!! Spent a fortune there in about an hour some years ago - avoid it like the plague

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:14 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    *in fact, wonder if I can fit my slow cooker in the car with the luggage *
    Originally posted by jo1972
    I guess that would depend whether it was a 6.5 litre monster or not

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 2:16 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Of course it is, means 5 days worth of meals can be cooked at once!!

No I'm going half board this year, although if we'd booked the holiday after my LBM we definately wouldn't be. I'm quite jealous of you all now, I love meal planning!! I've gotta eat carpy food from the food court, that's been heated up from the freezer and kept warm for hours ewwwwwwww
  • spud30
    My dog on her own fills the back of our estate car - no wonder we dont go on holiday :rolleyes:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:19 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    I'm quite jealous of you all now, I love meal planning!! I've gotta eat carpy food from the food court, that's been heated up from the freezer and kept warm for hours ewwwwwwww
    Originally posted by jo1972
    Yeah but you don't have to do the washing up

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:20 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    My dog on her own fills the back of our estate car - no wonder we dont go on holiday :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by spud30
    Roof rack for the luggage??

• spud30
    Roof rack for the luggage??
    Originally posted by newlywed
    We've actually got one of them box things for on top of the car.

Hubby finishes work in the morning for 2 weeks, what do you reckon my chances are of finding somewhere last minute that would take us and the dog
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

• By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 2:29 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    I'm beginning to look forward to my hols too, sharing this with my virtual friends makes it more real and I love planning - haven't done the planning for a few years cause thought I was "too grown up for all that" hmm at 42 I think I'm actually now "grown up enough" to do it - lol. Keep the advice coming people, I'm loving it!!
    IDA
    x
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 2:31 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Spud get looking on line now, Haven been advertising last minute deals + I'm sure there are many others!! Go for it! We were planning to take our dogs but have decided to leave them with no1 son!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 2:36 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    I'm beginning to look forward to my hols too, sharing this with my virtual friends makes it more real and I love planning - haven't done the planning for a few years cause thought I was "too grown up for all that" hmm at 42 I think I'm actually now "grown up enough" to do it - lol. Keep the advice coming people, I'm loving it!!
    IDA
    x
    Originally posted by in debt again but dealing with it
    I was a bit worried - we've never had the boys for a whole week before and I'm not sure I'll cope with them and an extra boy (from the family we are going with) in with us for the week!

But now, like you say, it does seem more real and am quite looking forward to it all

All together now... "we're all going on a summer holiday...."
    Last edited by newlywed; 01-08-2007 at 2:39 PM.

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 2:45 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    We've got our 3 kids, we're going with BIL and his 3 kids, 2 lots of friends with 5 kids.

8 adults....11 kids

Plus all the kids but one, my 15yr old, is under 5
  • sammiboo
    For days out I've looked at Chester Zoo (maybe?), Snowdon (definately - thanks for the 9am tip Spud), the castle at Colwyn Bay, the swimming park at Rhyl (maybe?) and as dd (aged 5) is completely besotted with Alice in Wonderland she and I will be visiting the A and W museum - have you been Sammiboo, is it any good?
    Chester zoo is a great day out but it isnt cheap, take a picnic to save money They have nice areas where you can have lunch.
    The Welsh mountain Zoo isnt as good as Chester but it is quite a bit cheaper and still a good day out. Its right near where you will be staying too at Colwyn Bay http://www.welshmountainzoo.org/ Adult is less than 8
    although you can get cheaper chester tickets here http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertainment/daysout/event-product.html?eventID=470785346-1&catID=96785&skin=lmnukgoogle&bbcam=adwds&bbkid=C hester+Zoo&x

Talacre beach is really nice if you fancy a day by the beach. It is really claen and great for a day out.

The suncentre is great too the kids should love it.

also take a look here http://www.borderlands.co.uk/Attractions07/attractions_list.asp

Might be something you fancy?

Will have a look when i get home from work and see where else I can suggest
    March 2006 15,200+ in debt April 843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - 843.64 5.7%
  • spud30
    Spud get looking on line now, Haven been advertising last minute deals + I'm sure there are many others!! Go for it! We were planning to take our dogs but have decided to leave them with no1 son!
    Had a quick look. The last minute Haven deals are all in luxury accomodation, and do not accept dogs :rolleyes:

• inkie
    • By inkie 1st Aug 07, 3:06 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    inkie
    Just another money saving tip - don't go ANYWHERE near Cheshire Oaks. Not even for a peek!!! Spent a fortune there in about an hour some years ago - avoid it like the plague

Or bea tightwad like me - we went last yr and I only spent a couple of pound!
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 3:11 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Spud, have you tried looking on ebay, people rent their caravans on their on sites like Haven and other caravan parks?
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 3:14 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Had a quick look. The last minute Haven deals are all in luxury accomodation, and do not accept dogs :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by spud30
    Try Park resorts they are a bit more flexible I think! Or what about the Haven tents, do they still do them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,281Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin