Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in debt again but dealing with it
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    • 1,326Posts
    • 1,909Thanks
    in debt again but dealing with it
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!
    • 31st Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!! 31st Jul 07 at 9:39 PM
    I'm going away for a fortnight soon, (very dfw in our tourer and in this country), trying to be realistic about the spending money but have never been very good and we never seem to have enough - in the past were always able to rely on the cc for back up hence where I am now!!! There are 5 (2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 child) of us and we plan to take as much of the food with us that we can - but will obviously still have to shop a little! I plan to take 400 but worry that maybe this isn't enough and what if we run out. So anyone out there brave enough to admit what they spend or let me have some tips. Many thanks.
    IDA
    xx
    Last edited by in debt again but dealing with it; 27-08-2007 at 3:59 PM. Reason: change in arrangements
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
Page 2
    • twinklie
    • By twinklie 1st Aug 07, 10:44 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 11,132 Thanks
    twinklie
    I spent a week in a little village just outside Llanberris at christmas. But I cheated...my sister lives there. So I spent....>£0!! It was fantastic. Although we did take down lots of food to eat when we were there.

There is so much stuff to see and do round them there parts. Lots of good walks etc. Hope you all have a lovely time on your hols....I'm really jealous.

I'm going away in December though to Canada. It's our honeymoon so we are spending a naughty amount on it, because we were given some money to be spent "on the honeymoon ONLY"! I'm very excited.
    Daily mortgage interest Oct'19 - 15.83 Reduction in daily interest - 0.62
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off.
    Oct'19 - 13.9%/3.9%
    MFiT-T5 #13
    Aim to be debt free by the end of 2019. % remaining Oct'19- 34.3%
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 10:44 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    IDA we are in debt too but going on holiday for a week. Just instead of a week skiing or a week abroad, it's a week in a self catering cabin in Wales

Ours was paid by friends but we still need to find petrol money, food money, spending money and OH will lose money not working for the week (self employed).

The eating in food money will come from my usual food budget and so might see us trying to scrape by for the following month.

But, we haven't had a holiday since our honeymoon and didn't take the kids on that

So we figured this is the cheapest a holiday is likely to get for us and I have 5 years on the DMP so best take the opportunity now
    Last edited by newlywed; 01-08-2007 at 10:47 AM.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 10:45 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Hi IDA,

We're going to Butlins at Bognor week after next, totally not DFW but booked and paid for before I had my LBM. At least we are going half board so I shall encourage everyone to eat till they burst at brekkie so hopefully they might last till the early dinner!! I shall visit the nearest supermarket for snacks and sweets so I don't have to buy the extortionate priced treats in the shop on site. Never been to Bogor or Butlins even so have no idea how my DFW hol is gonna go!

Have a lovely time
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 10:46 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    Thanks all for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
    Spud and newly wed - have just had a look at the Snowdon website and will be taking the phone number with me and definately (maybe?) will book ahead, it means a saving of 34 for us!! What about the return journey do you have to pre-book a time?? Plus I understand the train doesn't actually reach the summit, what is the walk to the top like after you get off the train??

Thanks for your advice Julia I'm about to check out Great Orme now. I would happily do nothing and spend nothing on holiday I just love being away, dh thinks we should be doing stuff all the time (it can be very wearing - lol!!), he doesn't do "nothing" very well!!

Thanks once again for the advice - keep it coming!
    IDA
    xx
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 1st Aug 07, 10:51 AM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    Theres loads of kids tickets floating around for chester for free entry
    We went in June and had a great time. Just be careful of the bat enclosure. You walk through it and it scared me for some reason and loads of kidies came out crying
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs
    Total to go 15 pounds
    Not no more as im having a baby
  • spud30
    Thanks all for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
    Spud and newly wed - have just had a look at the Snowdon website and will be taking the phone number with me and definately (maybe?) will book ahead, it means a saving of 34 for us!! What about the return journey do you have to pre-book a time?? Plus I understand the train doesn't actually reach the summit, what is the walk to the top like after you get off the train??

Thanks for your advice Julia I'm about to check out Great Orme now. I would happily do nothing and spend nothing on holiday I just love being away, dh thinks we should be doing stuff all the time (it can be very wearing - lol!!), he doesn't do "nothing" very well!!

Thanks once again for the advice - keep it coming!
    IDA
    xx
    Originally posted by in debt again but dealing with it
    IDA,

The train gets very close to the top, it's only about 15 - 20 yards away, but it is a climb, albeit a short one. Both my kids have done it from being very young so your little one will be OK.

You come down on the same train, you get around 20 minutes at the summit, more than enough time because there isnt much there - just a gift shop and a cafe, I would imagine very expensive, but I've never been in.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 11:09 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Just checked where we are staying and it's actually nearer Rhyl (apparently not a particularly nice beach resort and Llandudno is meant to be better).

Also found out this info:
    http://www.gardenartdirect.co.uk/maze.asp Maze near Conway

http://www.greenwoodforestpark.co.uk/rides.html#GiantJumper Forest park
    but over near Bangor

And BBC guide for Wales:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/llandudno/

No idea what any are like but it's good to keep backup ideas

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 11:12 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Oh I think the only place I've really stopped at in Wales was on the way to Holyhead we stopped for lunch at the town with the smallest house in the UK - think it was Conway but not sure :confused: Was a lovely town though

• bekkki1
    • By bekkki1 1st Aug 07, 11:13 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    bekkki1
    Park resorts nr Rhyl is where I normally go. There was a kwick save just up the road dont know whether this would have closed down now tho. about 5 mins away there is an Asda towards Rhyl and in town only 5 mins away at most is a Tesco i think - could be Morrisons tho!!!

Have you thought about the mountain zoo in colwyn bay. I love the beaches at colwyn they are clean and there are only a couple of shops on the prom so it is relativly (sp?) quiet
  • Inactive
    I don't normally look in here, because I don't have any debts.

Are you people serious about going on holiday whilst owing thousands of pounds to others?

I would have thought a holiday would be the last thing on your minds if you are serious about paying off your debts.

I await the excuses.:rolleyes:

The mind boggles. :confused:
    • bekkki1
    • By bekkki1 1st Aug 07, 11:17 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    bekkki1
    There is a beach quite near to the park about a 5 min walk but it is quite pebbley. there is a path way you can walk on tho which is nice.

We always go to colwyn bay beach, Rhyl is 4 miles away, beach there is ok, just the towns not that great
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 11:29 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Inactive, you did notice that the posters on here are giving tips for a DFW'ers holiday??

We are allowed to enjoy ourselves too, even if we can't afford lavish breaks like others...
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 11:37 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Inactive - I believe that even if you are bankrupt you are allowed a small monthly allowance towards a budget to take a modest family holiday.

• dumpy
    Is it worth joining something like the National Trust? They have a family ticket (i think 58) which would allow you entry into various places in North Wales such as castles and gardens and many have family day events over the summer. It lasts a year so you may even get some days out as well at home after the holiday.

You can search their website for events and properties to see if you would want to visit before paying the membership.....
    • By in debt again but dealing with it 1st Aug 07, 11:45 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks

Are you people serious about going on holiday whilst owing thousands of pounds to others?

I would have thought a holiday would be the last thing on your minds if you are serious about paying off your debts.

Originally posted by Inactive

Hi Inactive
    I wondered if/when the "self righteous" would arrive! No excuses from me - simple facts are all I need;
    • I am dealing with what I owe - all will be repaid including interest, penalty fees and unneccessary ppi!
    • The debt is mine, not my dh and not my children - perhaps I should suggest they go on holiday without me as my penance! Although in reality that would probably be more of a penance for my dh!! (oops sorry sense of humour showing - not allowed that when in debt me thinks!)
    I don't know why I'm justifying myself to you but please withhold your judgement of the people in this forum as a "regular money saver" you are already aware of Martins regard to etiquette and should be obliged to respect it!

Take care and best wishes to you and yours!
    IDA
    x
    • cattie1
    • By cattie1 1st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    cattie1
    It has been really interesting readin this as we haven't had a holiday ever! but we would really like too but everything seems to expensive-I have got some really good tips from here so thankyou everyon and thankyou IDA for starting this thread.
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
    • choccyface2006
    • By choccyface2006 1st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    choccyface2006

Originally posted by Inactive
    I'm not in debt either, I just like reading these board because it give great tips for saving money.

I would certainly have a more modest break if I was, but I do agree that a cheap holiday would keep the morale up and especially if you have children I think its important to still allow them to experiance a holiday.

My parents were never in debt but times were very tight, and they used to take us away in their tiny old caravan untill they could afford better. We had such a wonderful time, being away from home was so exciting and yet it probably cost very little. We didn't go out to dinner, get take aways or go to theme parks, we just had lovely family time together.

Sarah
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    perhaps I should suggest they go on holiday without me as my penance
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 1st Aug 07, 11:53 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    I agree IDA, it's only me who is on a DMP and hardly fair to tell OH we are not going and his money should pay my debt instead!!

The money for the food for the week will have to be our usual weekly grocery spend (if I am very good this month there might be a bit more than normal). Part of the petrol money comes from my petrol budget - OH will pay the rest. So I am most certainly not getting into any additional debt by going away for a week!

And for the record, I am the cook and so if I didn't go then either OH would have to cook or else much more money would be spent eating out!!

• Inactive
    Hi Inactive
    I don't know why I'm justifying myself to you but please withhold your judgement of the people in this forum as a "regular money saver" you are already aware of Martins regard to etiquette and should be obliged to respect it!
    Sorry, I was expressing a valid opinion, nothing wrong with that surely.

I was just surprised at the sense of values that this thread implies, you are all talking about holidays, personally if I was in debt, I wouldn't dream of going on holiday until I had paid my debts off as quickly as possible.

I cannot see anything wrong with that, it seems to be the most responsible way forward to me.

Oh well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,901Posts Today

5,270Users online

Martin's Twitter