PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Panasonic Breadmakers Tips and Quick Questions Thread

Comments

• AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I ask which recipe you're using? That way we can see what improvements you might make ;)

Penny. x

Morning, it was just the standard recipe out of the panasonic recipe booklet (orange) which came with the machine. I followed the instructions ie did the dough in the machine, then I took it out of the breadmaker, put onto a pizza stone and moved to a warm place to allow it to double in size and then cut it into pieces. It has already been stated that I should have knocked it back and let rise again - why doesn't the booklet make it foolproof? Would I then just cut and put on the tray to cook? Mine did look abit of a funny shape - but I thought at the time it wouldn't matter - the taste would make up for it (!!!). Thanks.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find the bread always turns out better when I put the ingredients in the order they are in the recipes in the booklet that comes with the breadmaker, so for example with the sandwich loaves, yeast first, followed by flour, sugar etc. Have found this works better than say putting flour in first then adding yeast, sugar etc. Don't know why but we think the bread turns out better this way.
  • Yeast has to go in first on a panny then flour seals it away from the water.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • After lots of umming and ahing I bought a breadmaker - well I mystery shopped and bought it from an electrical shop - so kind of got paid to buy it (shame the fee didn't cover the whole cost lol). We've made quite a few loaves and all good each time.
    Having used a bag of white flour, and most of the the wholemeal bought at the same time, this morning I was looking for something to add to the rest of the wholemeal to make a different one, and found some pecan nuts and maple syrup, and a bag of strong white flour I'd forgotten about in a tupperware container.

Please don't read on if you're squeamish!!!

The bread is in and chugging away happily. I was finishing clearing up in the kitchen and noticed something odd in the bottom of the tupperware - yep there are weevils/mites in the flour :eek:

I can remember as a little girl in Africa always sieving the flour to get rid of weevils, so they can't be life-threatening, and I must admit being tempted to see what it tastes like.... is that just too disgusting for words and should I cut my losses and stop the programme and bin it (its just started baking)?

Yours ashamadly

Cbm
    Jan 08: Debt £15,211 :eek: Debt cleared April 30th 2010 :D
    Proud to have dealt with my debt! Currently building up savings.:T
    With enormous thanks to everyone on the forums and:money:
  • baking it will cost you 4-5p This would be a cheap room fragrance but I would not be the one eating it.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Morning, it was just the standard recipe out of the panasonic recipe booklet (orange) which came with the machine. I followed the instructions ie did the dough in the machine, then I took it out of the breadmaker, put onto a pizza stone and moved to a warm place to allow it to double in size and then cut it into pieces. It has already been stated that I should have knocked it back and let rise again - why doesn't the booklet make it foolproof? Would I then just cut and put on the tray to cook? Mine did look abit of a funny shape - but I thought at the time it wouldn't matter - the taste would make up for it (!!!). Thanks.

IMHO using a BM recipe to bake in the oven, makes the dough too slack, and unable to hold in air, resulting in heavy bread. Have you tried making bread by hand :confused: Hang on and I'll find a recipe.......try this.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    IMHO using a BM recipe to bake in the oven, makes the dough too slack, and unable to hold in air, resulting in heavy bread. Have you tried making bread by hand :confused: Hang on and I'll find a recipe.......try this.

Penny. x
    Thanks, will give that a try at the weekend - kind of makes sense what you say. Another question - I just wondered if it would be worth giving timings for the panasonic on certain recipes - I thought I'd written some down but not sure where I put it (must get onto Flylady). For instance, I seem to remember thinking - I'll rustle up a pizza for tea and the dough (I think) took over 2 hours! I just thought if we had a list, we could decide if its a quick rustle, or something to put on before going to do the shopping/ out for a walk - there are other recipes I fancy in the book and I'm a bit put off as my son has aspergers, saying I'll quickly make..... if its going to then cook for a couple of hours - forewarned makes it easier to plan, anyway, just a thought!
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • I got one of these breadmakers as a present and to be honest have never even done more than look at it.What I was wondering is do you have to leave the paddle in for baking,because surely you must get a funny shaped loaf if you do.
    After reading all your positive posts about these machines I feel I should realy give it a go but was also wondering if they work out expensive as far as electricity goes as that would seem counter productive if they do.
    Any advice.Thanks.
  • Electricity can be between 4-6p depending on your tarrif.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, will give that a try at the weekend - kind of makes sense what you say. Another question - I just wondered if it would be worth giving timings for the panasonic on certain recipes - I thought I'd written some down but not sure where I put it (must get onto Flylady). For instance, I seem to remember thinking - I'll rustle up a pizza for tea and the dough (I think) took over 2 hours! I just thought if we had a list, we could decide if its a quick rustle, or something to put on before going to do the shopping/ out for a walk - there are other recipes I fancy in the book and I'm a bit put off as my son has aspergers, saying I'll quickly make..... if its going to then cook for a couple of hours - forewarned makes it easier to plan, anyway, just a thought!

My panny does pizza dough in 45 mins - did you use the recipe from the book? My book also states how long the programme takes right on the recipe (and on the LED screen on the BM itself) - do you have an older versio maybe...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback