PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5:2 Diet

Options
2»

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iammumtoome: you need to weigh your portions to be sure you are within your 500 calorie allowance..

two minor things to consider..

first, your daily intake looks low on protein (and protein is something that makes you feel full!)...I would certainly look at swapping the cup-a-soup for a miso soup which is higher on protein (and even lower in calories than a slimmers cup-a-soup!)...you could have 2 eggs for a low calories breakfast which is high in protein...and/or you could swap the rice in your dinner for some lean meat/quorn/tofu.

second, to boost your weight loss, you might like to think about extending your fasting window...this means not eating for a minimum of 12 hours...a longer window is even better...so for example, eat your main meal at 6pm and then no more calories (no cal drinks are fine!) until breakfast at 8am would give you a 14 hour window (most of which you would have slept through!)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I agree - weigh your portions, but I'd add some protein in. The sweetcorn and brown rice will bump up your calories, if you can bear it why not swap those for lots of other low-carbohydrate veggies, and add in some fish or eggs or lean meat. Make sure you drink plenty (personally I just ignored the milk in tea and coffee as it's not a huge amount) because I found sometimes fasting triggered a migraine if I didn't drink enough.

I have done this, and it really does work but it's intensely boring on the fast days. I found hard-boiled eggs useful, and things like home-made coleslaw (tiny bit of yoghurt or use vinegar instead of mayonnaise) and lots of salad. Doing the 5:2 really helped me to realise just how many calories I was eating by absent-mindedly popping a biscuit into my mouth as I made a cuppa!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 March 2019 at 10:36PM
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I did work out the weights v calories in my suggestions so know how much to use.

Never heard of miso soup, I will look in my local supermarket for it.

I will tweak my amounts in the main meal to allow for some prawns/chicken. I like brown rice and it always make me feel full but will use less, maybe 1/4 portion. Any suggestions what I could swap the sweetcorn for? (I choose that as its my favourite) should I eat a plate of salad with it instead?

Does tea with milk count for the 14 hour fast window, if I could have a couple of cups of tea I could easily manage that and maybe do it for the non fast days as well. I could eat at 7-8pm then again at 9-10am, I never have breakfast before I leave the house as don't have time I always eat breakfast at work.

Thanks

EDIT:
    Added more yogurt (for protein)
    swapped the soup for miso (just hope I can find some)
    swapped rice for couscous, the sweetcorn for celery. Added prawns

Total cal 530, very happy with that, Total protein 43g, we will see.
    This doesn't leave me any calories for milk in tea :( I think I might find that the hardest.

Its really hard to work out what to eat cals and protein (I wouldn't have considered protein if it wasn't pointed out :o) I think once I find something that works I will just be eating the same thing.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    downinja wrote: »
    5:2 works for me, done it several times

Is there an oxymoron in there somewhere?
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Consider using eggs on your fast days. A large egg is around 70 calories and is a complete protein. Let's face it - were it fertilized it could grow a complete chick! So 2 or 3 eggs a day might help fill you up.

I tend to have 3 eggs for breakfast and then not eat again until dinner and don't feel hungry.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I did work out the weights v calories in my suggestions so know how much to use.

Never heard of miso soup, I will look in my local supermarket for it.

I will tweak my amounts in the main meal to allow for some prawns/chicken. I like brown rice and it always make me feel full but will use less, maybe 1/4 portion. Any suggestions what I could swap the sweetcorn for? (I choose that as its my favourite) should I eat a plate of salad with it instead?

Does tea with milk count for the 14 hour fast window, if I could have a couple of cups of tea I could easily manage that and maybe do it for the non fast days as well. I could eat at 7-8pm then again at 9-10am, I never have breakfast before I leave the house as don't have time I always eat breakfast at work.

Thanks

EDIT:
    Added more yogurt (for protein)
    swapped the soup for miso (just hope I can find some)
    swapped rice for couscous, the sweetcorn for celery. Added prawns

Total cal 530, very happy with that, Total protein 43g, we will see.
    This doesn't leave me any calories for milk in tea :( I think I might find that the hardest.

Its really hard to work out what to eat cals and protein (I wouldn't have considered protein if it wasn't pointed out :o) I think once I find something that works I will just be eating the same thing.

For us, the key to success was using the recipes in Mimi Spencer's 5:2 recipe book.

Keeping busy on FDs also helps. If I was still at work, I'd probably just have a light soup and a couple of satsumas. The time they take to peel adds to the satisfaction.

Im coming up to third anniversary of starting 5:2. It took 5 months to reach target, then I lost another 7 lbs.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure