SLC taken money 10 years after loan finished

Options
Hello,

New to the forums so apologies if this is the wrong section.

I finished paying my student loan in 2010, having finished uni in 2001 and have been employed in the public sector since 2002.

My wages this month were relatively short and on checking my wage slip the student loans company have taken £160 out. I have spoken to them and they are so unhelpful it is untrue. But they basically stated that I underpaid them by £122 in 2009-2010 and so they have taken £160 this month and will again next month. However if i’d be so kind to, I can ring them up and get the excess refunded once it has gone out, oh and that can take 16 days to happen.

Needless to say this has not gone down well as I am in dire straights as it is financially and I do not know where to turn. Is this legal? Is this right and do I have any say over it at all?

They stated they sent a letter to an address I haven’t lived at for 13 years giving me 3 options to pay. When I asked for a refund and to then pay monthly they blatantly refused, despite me explaining it has placed me in financial hardship.

Any advice would be great

Thank you

Cookie

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2019 at 10:07PM
    Options
    I'd argue that more than 8 years later the debt is statue barred, although it may be that student loans are exempt from the normal legislation. It's still ridiculous to simply take the money after so long.

What does your pay slip say about how the money was taken? Is it the standard percentage above whatever the threshold is for the type of loan you had? You could try speaking to HMRC about it as they provide your employer with the date needed to process the calculation and act as an intermediary to pass the money on eventually.

In terms of dealing with the alleged debt, I would insist that they prove it exists, and if it does offer them a payment plan. I'd copy your MP into any correspondence you have with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure