Dropped Kerb planning permission

Options
Hello

I applied for planning permission to get the kerb dropped outside my home. Planning permission was required as I live on a classified road.

I read as much as I could about the planning requirement and spoke to the council a couple of times as I didn’t want to submit an application which was likely to get rejected. From what I gather the drive is made of the right material, the drive is plenty big enough to fit a car on. There are other drives in the area with dropped kerbs and smaller drives so I thought that I had a good chance of getting the permission approved.

However, they have come back today to say the highways agency have objected as there isn’t enough room to enter and exit the drive forward. (So basically there’s not enough room to turn the car round in the drive).

Nothing in the application process states this is a requirement and during my conversations with the council this was not mentioned at any point. If I had known then I wouldn’t have bothered applying.

What I can’t find is the size requirement for turning in the drive. I’ve looked on the council website and on other websites. I do think the drive is big enough to turn a car around, or it might just be slightly too short. I’ve been told I can amend my plans and appeal but how can I do that if I don’t know what size drive I need to turn the car around.

I’m a bit annoyed as it’s been a waste of time and also that I’ve had to pay for applying for planning permission so I could have saved myself £200 although of course I wouldn’t be complaining if it got approved :D

Can anyone shed some light on the size needed?

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need an Architect to survey and design what you require. They may just visit and advise, so keeping your costs down.

Your requirements are going to be specific to your plot, so I cannot see how anybody on the Forum can guide you. We neither know what you have allowed for driveway dimensions, nor the layout of your plot.

Having to come off the drive forwards is so obvious that you cannot complain here. Reversing blindly out onto a highway was deemed an offence years back and from memory was against the Highway Code. Regardless, road safety and common sense are obvious points that spring to mind here.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Reversing blindly out onto a highway was deemed an offence years back and from memory was against the Highway Code.

Highway code Rule 201 says, "When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can." (my bold) So no, reversing out is not recommended but certainly not against the HC.
  • Purplecatcud
    Options
    Sorry; maybe I’m not being clear. There is no work to be done on the drive. It’s currently a mix of paved and gravel and all we need is a dropped kerb to legally park a car there. But will need planning permission to get the kerb dropped in the first place.

No one has come to visit the property so their objection is purely based on the size of the drive on our planning documents which is just a block and site plan to scale. I’m just wondering what size they need it to be to allow us to turn.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    ..No one has come to visit the property so their objection is purely based on the size of the drive on our planning documents which is just a block and site plan to scale. I!!!8217;m just wondering what size they need it to be to allow us to turn.

Phone, email or visit them and ask.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry; maybe I’m not being clear. There is no work to be done on the drive. It’s currently a mix of paved and gravel and all we need is a dropped kerb to legally park a car there. But will need planning permission to get the kerb dropped in the first place.

No one has come to visit the property so their objection is purely based on the size of the drive on our planning documents which is just a block and site plan to scale. I’m just wondering what size they need it to be to allow us to turn.

To reiterate, we do not know what drive has been drawn on the plan, if any, nor the plot layout to allow for a means of turning.

You appear to be saying this has not been designed, so you cannot complain if there is a refusal. It is not the role of the Council to visit you to discuss your absent design, nor is it their role to design your drive.

A nominal turning area could be 4.8 x 2.4 set at 90 degrees to your drive allowing radius edgings to marry into the main drive. This to be positioned to be accessible to a manoeuvring car.

If you cannot figure the details then ask, but expect to get a professional on board to help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure